Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Masterwork Arena Battles!  (Read 7392 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Arena Battles!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 11:50:54 pm »

Yep, very similar distance/formation as last time.

Code: [Select]
SU.O.......G.DM
SUEO.......GLDM
SU.O.......G.DM
SUEO.......GLDM
SU.O.......G.DM

S is for Snaga
U uruk
E orc elite
O orc grunt

G guard
D hammer legion
L legion elite
M marksdwarf

8 of these battles going on frame by frame is a thing of beauty.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:09:24 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:53 am »

Round 2 Overall:
ORCS 6 :: DWARVES 2

(1 ) 9 Dwarves live
(2 ) 16 Orcs live
(3 ) 10 Orcs live
(4 ) 15 Dwarves live
(5 ) 8 Orcs live
(6 ) 8 Orcs live
(7 ) 15 Orcs live
(8 ) 16 Orcs live

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So:  Orcs are indeed the winner!  Dwarven gladiator masters, if you want to re-equip your squads/champions or otherwise tweak the ruleset, I'd be up for running a re-match in a week or so.  I don't think it will take huge changes for Dwarves to come out on top. 

It was hard to see details in 8 fights simultaneously but some trends were clear.
- Axe grunts for both sides were serviceable line infantry, nothing spectacular.
- Warhammers seemed the most effective weapon in an initial clash but lack real killing power in the extended melee.
- Uruks are boss, Ironbone macuahuitls were "good enough" even without penetrating armor on most hits, they did a fine amount of crushing damage
- Sword-ronin was by a significant margin the most effective Champion -- like other uruks, he shrugs off injuries, and fights on until he's really grievously damaged.
- Ologs mostly were good for tanking lots of javelins.  His Copper maul strikes were mostly absorbed by armor.
- Axe-dwarf champion would slash off limbs until they took a hit or two, then goes down in pain like anyone else.  Maybe he could get full steel mail.
- Crossbow Dwarf was the least effective Champion and probably should be replaced with a melee warrior, or he at least needs several levels more skill bonus.
- Javeliners seemed slightly better than bow-snaga in the first couple salvos, but most used up their 10 ammo and effectiveness charging in with bayonettes fixed was low.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:59:03 am by smakemupagus »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:50:57 am »

Strange, repeating crossbows are often the deadliest weapons in my dwarven forts, and he was equipped with steel bolts.

Maybe the bolt type should be changed to piercing or hammer heads?
Cutting bolts tend to only work well against small-ish targets for me.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 01:55:11 am »

*rolls platinum rings across table* *cries* StagnantSoul cancels post sarcastic remark: throwing tantrum.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:59 am »

This... Actually explains alot with Blackhold's militia now.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:02 am »

I'd love to see more setups like this. :)

Very curious how Warlocks do in such controlled battles, with their ghouls and skeletons. Although obviously they would lack the spells and overlord boni.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 10:30:28 am »

This... Actually explains alot with Blackhold's militia now.

Yes of course this is partly a balance experiment cleverly disguised as fun!

I was thinking of some tweaks for Orcs, small things like maybe make the nice kite shields non-default.  Since Meph was considering to roll out race specific GUI options in the future, i have a few optional difficulty settings in mind too.  This experiment suggests to me that Orcs are indeed "ahead" in early/mid game but not by a huge amount.  Late game i am pretty sure dwarven legendary/superior volcanic gear trumps everything else, but at that point you're set either way :) 

The default world settings for Orcs are a lot more forgiving than they used to be, which is probably a good thing since a lot of new players used to get stomped :) and veteran Orc players can still use the GUI to go with something closer to "classic" settings - e.g. choose only 0 or 1 trade partner, and set at least one civilized enemy to attack "very early". 

Strange, repeating crossbows are often the deadliest weapons in my dwarven forts, and he was equipped with steel bolts.
Maybe the bolt type should be changed to piercing or hammer heads?
Cutting bolts tend to only work well against small-ish targets for me.

Agreed, the broadheads were deflected by armor, fort mode invaders have more vulnerable spots than these gladiators do.  The fairly close range doesn't work to his advantage, in some of the battles the orcs were able to get in his face early.

I'd love to see more setups like this. :)
Very curious how Warlocks do in such controlled battles, with their ghouls and skeletons.

By all means, if you or others set up a roster I can run some battles.  I don't know the other modes well enough to know what's a ~fair comparison though.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:55:30 pm by smakemupagus »

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »

I would say just see how the dwarves do with crossbows and piercing bolts - the cutting javelins are the wrong tool for the job in this case =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »

Wouldn't it be fun to have a few mages on both sides to make things even more chaotic?

Yeah but I'm not sure there's any dwarven mage I trust in close quarters...
Suggestions?

On the orc side I know how to chose a support or single target loadout, like a nice Druid with polymorph runebolts.
Or we can just go all out AOE frostskalds and stickbombas :)  Kill em all and let Armok find his own...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:44:08 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »

Stone are good melee/group fighters, as are the black mages. Fire should be reasonably save as well, the arena doesnt burn.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 08:16:13 pm »

what I want to see
late game dwarves vs late game orcs.
orcs would have (mithril/adamantine daikatanas) or (welded wolfram lucerne polehammers) + shield + bloodsteel armour
Dwarves, i dont play them often, but have steel/adamantine zweihanders or warhammers + shield (with warhammers) + steel armour
also shaggy mamakil vs dwarven (something roughly equal? what?)
orcish dire wolves vs mastiffs
let the !!FUN!! begin
Bets? I've got a caged bronze colossus on the orcs
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »

what I want to see
late game dwarves vs late game orcs.
orcs would have (mithril/adamantine daikatanas) or (welded wolfram lucerne polehammers) + shield + bloodsteel armour
Dwarves, i dont play them often, but have steel/adamantine zweihanders or warhammers + shield (with warhammers) + steel armour
also shaggy mumak vs dwarven (something roughly equal? what?)
orcish dire wolves vs mastiffs
let the !!FUN!! begin
Bets? I've got a caged bronze colossus on the orcs

Late game vs late game does sound pretty awesome, and the closest equivalent to a mumak is probably a golem and the golem has a an unfair advantage unless mumaks can be armored. An iron armored mumak will probably have a fair shot against a basic brass hammergolem. Dunno about spear or sword.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:47 pm »

upping my bet to a dragon if the mumaks are armoured
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »

Late game dwarves?

Ok, so full runes on everything, plus poisons, and hellfire turrets.
Pretty sure that nothing can resist hellfire (net even the clowns), and full sets of runes on everything makes the wielder pretty much godly.

Current dwarves have access to soo much high end things that going for a fully high end would make them too much to handle for any race without cheating magic (insta kill by banshies for example).

EDIT:
Also, dwarves can upgrade weapons and armours to great effects before applying the runes.
They have access to the very best armours and shields (used to be humans that gave plans).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:47:53 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:54 pm »

heres my test:
1 olog with full bloodsteel armour and with a wolfram lucerne polehammer. proficient in shiedl, armour, hammer+mace (pretty sure its a hammer skill but i cant remember and i'm not taking chances)
six great axe + full bloodsteel orcs
3 swordorcs with welded mithril dai-katanas + shield + full bloodsteel armour
3 snagas with full lamellar + bloodsteel composite bows + 10 arrows
3 shaggy mumak bulls (IDK how to armour them or wartrain them in arena mode)

VS

3 legionaire dwarfs with steel short sword + kite shield + full steel armour
3 legionaire dwarfs with steel mace + steel kite shield + full steel armour
3 legionaire dwarfs with steel battleaxe + steel kite shield + full steel armour
3 marksmen dwarves with steel xbow + 10 bolts + full steel armour
3 legionaire dwarfs with steel spear + steel kiteshield + full steel armour
3 elephants

I was about to upload to imgur but my computer overheated. orcs won
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:47:23 pm by Insanegame27 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5