Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Masterwork Arena Battles!  (Read 7397 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Masterwork Arena Battles!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 04:17:27 pm »

note to meph. some ologs can wield wolfram polehammers one-handed. Please replace the morningstars with these beasts of mass destruction.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:20 pm »

Hmm ... The magestaff isn't working in arena even with "itemsyndrome force", which i'm not even sure is a thing any more ;)  but it leads me to the question of whether itemsyndrome works in Orc fort mode in the current version -- anyone know for sure? ... arena battles may temporarily be on pause while i test fort.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 01:47:33 am »

Itemsyndrome had that curious sideeffect when SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:ID:ALL didnt work, but SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:ID:CASTE_ID works. In short, you cant do ORC_TAIGA:ALL, but you need to declare every single caste, ORC_TAIGA:URUK_MALE, URUK_FEMALE, etc.

At least that fixed it for Warlocks.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 01:51:32 am »

Hmm, thanks, but maybe that's not it... the item syndromes are either already called out by caste (the dreamwalkers' gear) or not creature restricted at all (flamethrowers, masks, etc.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:07 am »

Then I cant help. The last time I tested it (and since then neither itemsyndrome nor dfhack have changed) it worked.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 02:16:20 am »

Hmm.  I haven't touched any of it since long ago so i don't even know where to begin   :-\
Hopefully its just an arena issue.

edit:  Well, it works at least intermittently; I have in fact successfully cast Lightning Storm and other itemsyndrome spells in the arena. the  name "wraithblade" is being overloaded (there is now an orc and a warlock version of that item, and that itemsyndrome, both currently with the same name) but i think that my testing indicates that wasn't actually the problem.  it is a little confusing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:23:49 am by smakemupagus »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 01:48:40 am »

When my mod is done ima do a dwarves vs hive battleseries in community games & stories
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:33 pm »

has anyone done anything else on this matter

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 05:04:58 am »

Unfortunately i had a crash tonight during the "midgame" (bloodsteel/ashglass vs. mithril) round so i don't have a final result.

Ye gods, was it brutal.  Mithril cuts bloodsteel pretty well, and dwarven-style superior edged weapons are likely to pentrate armor.  The orcish ashglass/ebony arsenal can pierce through mithril too, often enough, but the large contact area "raking" attacks on the jagged weapons are often deflected and are a liability here.  The best weapon loadouts from the early round (silver warhammers / orcish daikatana) are still OK, but they are nothing special here.

Ebony bodkins make the snaga a real force to reckon with, besides the Olog and the 2 dwarves with Legendary gear they are the squad with the best loadout for the task at hand in this round.

I think it seemed to be the blunt weapons (including crushing strikes from ebony axes) on both sides doing the most damage, but nevertheless there were enough piercing wounds, flying severed limbs, etc to confuse the issue.  Fire magic clearly was a factor at least at the beginning as about ~1 orc in each arena was on fire very soon.  There were quite a fair number of stunned (blue "X") dwarves but it is hard to tell whether from storm magic or bloodloss.

In fact there was too much blood, smoke and steam to see the field and get any clear estimate of winners or losers when the program hang happened.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:51:15 am by smakemupagus »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 05:08:13 am »

Oh sweet armok dine upon this feast we have provided to you through our enemies blood, sweat and tears.
Is it just me or does no-one actually worship armok ingame (relationships screen listed as deity)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:01 am »

Oh sweet armok dine upon this feast we have provided to you through our enemies blood, sweat and tears.
Is it just me or does no-one actually worship armok ingame (relationships screen listed as deity)

Armok is technically a meta entity, the one who regularly reforges worlds when he find them boring; surrogate name for players really. I personally frown on direct references to Armok most of the time though, even in this mod, since literally nobody worships armok in-game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 08:00:16 am »

Armok is technically a meta entity, the one who regularly reforges worlds when he find them boring; surrogate name for players really. I personally frown on direct references to Armok most of the time though, even in this mod, since literally nobody worships armok in-game.
Did Toady state this somewhere, is it just generally accepted forum lore?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:32 am »

Did Toady state this somewhere, is it just generally accepted forum lore?

Something close to it if I remember right, but I have no clue where I read it. Something like only the gods worship Armok or something like that, meaning that the various playable races shouldn't have any knowledge of him.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 01:26:36 am »

Round 4 results!  This is the mid-game Bloodsteel/Ashglass vs. Mithril level, plus some Fire & Icestorm displays from the mages.

See the squad loadouts here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143721.msg5667132#msg5667132

( 1) 8 dwarves survive
( 2) 11 dwarves
( 3) 8 dwarves
( 4) 12 dwarves
( 5) 8 dwarves
( 6) 10 9 dwarves (one froze to death in aftermath)
( 7) 12 orcs
(8 ) 9 dwarves

Dwarves win 7-1!  As noted above the Dwarven systematic edge from mithril metallurgy and Weaponry enhancements are just too much to deal with.  The Frostskald and Fire Mage both booked their share of kills but the Fire damage is more up-front while the frost storms are a cumulative effect, and this battle was brutal and short, so I think the Mage had more of an effect.  The billowing clouds of fire, smoke and freezing gale magic were definitely a bad, bad place for the grunts from either side, though.

However, as noted again, this battle was intense.  The dwarven survivors are *not* in good shape compared to any survivors in the last rounds. At least a few either bled- or frostbit-out while i was typing this up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:35:18 am by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5