Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Masterwork Arena Battles!  (Read 7431 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Arena Battles!
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2014, 02:04:31 am »

Yay, first true dwarven win.

It might be a bit too much difference in weaponry quality, even if we consider that dwarves are supposed to me masters of metallurgy.

Maybe you could throw in a gun or two to the orc's side?.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2014, 04:40:37 am »

Give. The. Orcs. Wolfram. Polehammers.
And. Use. Ologs
And give the champion urik ronin male a candy dai-katana
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:49 am »

I was running something similar in my own community, and allowed others to purchase their own gladiators with a points system and etc, similar to what SA has done a few times. I quickly realized how much of a pain in the ass it was for not only people to try to figure out the complexities of the buying systems I had created, but also how overly menial it was to constantly place all these specific custom characters all the time. I set out to create a website where you could make a unit and have it submitted to a file that I could read and put stuff into the arena, but never really finished that.

My question for you though, do you have some sort of script to place these guys, or is that even possible?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:46 am »

Not that I know of.  It takes about 10 minutes to place all the guys if i concentrate, and 30 in reality when i do it while watching TV.  On the other hand setting up 8 battles is probably only a little bit harder than 1.

That's why I don't really have custom characters but instead a mostly common set of armor for the whole side, just weapons varying is a lot easier.

@slay_mithos and Insanegame

I don't know if muskets would make a big difference, because these ebony arrows are great already. Cannons or chain-axes might, though.

If we stick to a non-steamfoundry clanhold then upgrade to greatbows, and changing Uruk's Jaguar kits for greataxes, and Olog's morning star for either a polehammer or a looted Deepbronze warhammer is a good start.  What to give the front line grunts for armor piercing is another question - maybe all ebony axes and count on them breaking bones when they don't penetrate armor.

Obviously adding more Uruks / Ologs to the lineup would help, or upgrading some subset of armor to glass (say, mail and helms).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:56:54 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2014, 12:29:56 pm »

Not for anything in particular, just playing around.

I think it's a toss up which is better, assuming you're an Orc and therefore big enough to 1H wield the chainaxe.  The dwarven-style upgraded axe has a solid chance to penetrate same-material armor with every swing, but the chainaxe when it gets through armor very well might cut a fool in half. 

(Dwarven) Superior mithril battle axe
Composition:  Mithril (Silver, steel), Steel
Workflow:  Smelter, Metalurgist, Forge, Weaponry
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Orcish) Ebonglass chain-axe
Composition: Ebony glass (Obsidian, gold dust, cobalt dust, sand, pearlash), automaton part (mechanism, soulgem), oil, razorwire
Workflow: Glassworks, Forge, tinkerer, totempole, farmer/chemist, steamfoundry

In regular play in fort mode i'd give the edge by far to the chainaxe because there are plenty of un- or poorly-armored targets and the hack/raking attacks will still be fine.  Here in the gladiator arena where first blood against a well armored foe is key, I'd probably take the superior battleaxe.

-------------------------------------
Of course this is the winner hands down ....
(Dwarven) Legendary mithril battle axe
Composition:  Mithril (Silver, steel), Steel, Luck
Workflow:  ~6 x (Smelter, Metalurgist, Forge, Weaponry).  Or get a bloodsteel one by Slaughterhousing a minotaur.
Yikes ^^
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:40:52 pm by smakemupagus »

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »

are you planning on taking this to one more level? rifledwarves, support mages, armor layering...? =D

seriously, though, great job, and thank you!
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 04:40:28 pm »

Yeah I'll probably continue someday, but no concrete plans atm. Probably not too much armor layering beyond cloaks and breastplates-over-mail because they are finnicky about it in arena and it's easy to make mistakes that cause them to throw half their stuff on the ground, but otherwise changing up gear could make a big difference.  There's one more materials tier too (deepbronze/volcanic).

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2014, 10:03:01 am »

I was running something similar in my own community, and allowed others to purchase their own gladiators with a points system and etc, similar to what SA has done a few times.

Would you be upset if I tried something similar on the Community Games section, with my own rules, in Vanilla DF?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:51 am »

I really doubt there would be a shortage of people wanting to see this kind of things, and taking good ideas to improve on them is only helping everybody, right?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:09 am »

I really doubt there would be a shortage of people wanting to see this kind of things, and taking good ideas to improve on them is only helping everybody, right?

I know, I just think it's correct to ask. I mean, if I had an idea, and later some random guy showed up saying "I took your idea and I did what you wanted to do" I would be a bit upset.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »

dima, if i understand correctly I think you were really asking Vherid not me, but as far as I'm concerned you should go for it :) 

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:16 pm »

dima, if i understand correctly I think you were really asking Vherid not me, but as far as I'm concerned you should go for it :)

Yes, I was asking him. I was thinking about a game based on single fighters in the arena, facing various opponents and gaining skills.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]