Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Armoursmith training  (Read 11766 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armoursmith training
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »

But bismuth bronze can't be made directly from ore, so it requires a lot more time and fuel to make.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »

But bismuth bronze can't be made directly from ore, so it requires a lot more time and fuel to make.

Keith
Exactly. If bronze were your final goal, bismuth bronze would be very useful to conserve tin, but in this scenario, it's only used as a temporary solution for a lack of military metal, so it will be replaced with much better gear. If you used bismuth bronze from the start, it would result in the loss of much-needed fuel because you are unlikely to have a magma smelter or forge.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »

Melting operations are well underway. They actually have been for a while, as every time my weapon smith turns out a low quality war hammer (as he did often as a beginner), I melted it down.

Turns out hammer dwarves with nothing but a shield and a little training aren't TOO useless. 9 of them killed 5 human cross bowmen with only one loss.

I did this to myself though. Couldn't quite make it as hard as I wanted (I've got scarce trees, not none), I'm just trying to find a way to improve my chances of survival.

For steel bars, even with a magma smelter I need refined coal (of any sort), right?

As for "training your armorsmith" that should really be a low priority. 

This is more correct than perhaps widely realized.  The impact of armor quality on performance is quite minimal, at least for protection from projectiles.

I'm assuming this ISNT the same for weapons? Either way, I might stop finding ways to train, and just up the melting industry instead.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:54 pm »

For steel bars, even with a magma smelter I need refined coal (of any sort), right?

Yup. Steel and pig iron need coal for carbon. They don't need any for fuel if you have a magma smelter. So they need about half as much.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »

Melting operations are well underway. They actually have been for a while, as every time my weapon smith turns out a low quality war hammer (as he did often as a beginner), I melted it down.

Turns out hammer dwarves with nothing but a shield and a little training aren't TOO useless. 9 of them killed 5 human cross bowmen with only one loss.

I did this to myself though. Couldn't quite make it as hard as I wanted (I've got scarce trees, not none), I'm just trying to find a way to improve my chances of survival.

As for "training your armorsmith" that should really be a low priority. 

This is more correct than perhaps widely realized.  The impact of armor quality on performance is quite minimal, at least for protection from projectiles.

I'm assuming this ISNT the same for weapons? Either way, I might stop finding ways to train, and just up the melting industry instead.
Yes, you will need coal or coke to make steel, even with a magma smelter. If there are no trees on the surface, and you are desperate, ready your militia, breach the caverns, send out woodcutters and haul the underground trees' wood inside your fort while under guarded protection from said militia, and seal it off. Then, make charcoal with your new wood.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

I believe that weapon quality influences chance to hit (although I am not 100% sure of this - the wiki claims that masterwork items get a x2 modifier for weapon to hit and armor deflection, but masterwork armor only increases deflection by 6%), and hence is quite important.  It definitely does influence the sharpness of edged weapons, increasing it by a factor of 2 from zero to masterwork quality.  As you can imagine, this has a significant impact on how well they cut up critters.  So, in short, yes, I believe weapon quality is very important.  I always have my weaponsmiths train by making bolts (for which quality is not so important as it doesn't impact hit chance, also masterwork bolts make for unhappy smiths when they are lost) and/or trap components, and then move them up to actual weapons.

If I can get DFHack working on my computer (I run 64-bit linux, so its nontrivial) I will see if I can run some tests of melee combat with different weapon quality, but I can't promise this will happen any time soon.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 05:49:03 pm »

The (ch)easiest training would be to make gauntlets, since they get double exp that way.

Combine that with weaponsmith training, making large serrated disks. The disks smelt into 150% of the bars, so you'll have plenty of bars for those gauntlets.

Sell the useless masterwork gauntlets and disks, to avoid tantrums. Or melt them slowly over time, you get less penalties when they make more of the masterwork items.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 05:52:33 pm »

Sell the useless masterwork gauntlets and disks, to avoid tantrums. Or melt them slowly over time, you get less penalties when they make more of the masterwork items.
Specifically, a destroyed masterwork produces something like 1/x * 500 unhappy, where x is the number of masterworks produced.  In this way, if you produce 500 masterworks, then melting one will have a 1/500th effect of destruction, and leave the creator fine.

If you produce ~10 masterworks and sell them, then from then on any melted are pretty negligible.  Like, if you sell 10, and melt one, then you've got a max 1/11th unhappy effect, which is totally manageable.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:48 am »

Specifically, a destroyed masterwork produces something like 1/x * 500 unhappy, where x is the number of masterworks produced.  In this way, if you produce 500 masterworks, then melting one will have a 1/500th effect of destruction, and leave the creator fine.

If you produce ~10 masterworks and sell them, then from then on any melted are pretty negligible.  Like, if you sell 10, and melt one, then you've got a max 1/11th unhappy effect, which is totally manageable.
40d:Item Quality page on the wiki says 1000/x. The information's gone missing on subsequent version pages.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:00 am »

Good to know! That explains a funny incident in my current fort, when a new migrant bowyer made one masterwork bone crossbow, which was stolen by a kea, and then he went straight into melancholy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]