Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Exit (Dwarf sites)  (Read 6722 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Exit (Dwarf sites)
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »

I've been trying to start up a dwarf adventurer, but I keep spawning in what I suppose are deep sites, because they're effectively underground prisons, with no access to the surface, or even to the caverns. I've checked every square inch of the sites, so I'm confident I didn't just miss the exit. Is there any way to ensure my dwarf adventurer spawns in a surface-level site?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: No Exit (Dwarf sites)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:57:31 pm »

if you can memorize the name of all the surface (or deep) sites you can just flip between locally important and peasant until it say's you'll start there
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »

Hillocks are nice. I also like to start from retired player forts.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:08:13 am »

I always do a quick embark/retire for every dwarven civ in the 40.xx games so that I don't have to spend an hour or two figuring out "which way to the surface/caverns".  Toady's idea of what Dwarven Mountainhomes look like is really quite confusing.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:24:47 am »

Find it easier to go into fast travel mode then find where's the fortress entrance then pressing '<' to get free.
but walking through it is pretty easy, if you find Dwarves then you're near the exit.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »

If you cant get past the trial of birth, your guy wasn't meant to be a prestigious adventurer.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:26 am »

If you cant get past the trial of birth, your guy wasn't meant to be a prestigious adventurer.
It's quite horrifying imagining the original mountain homes just "birthing" all of the migrants that go to the fortresses.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »

It's quite horrifying imagining the original mountain homes just "birthing" all of the migrants that go to the fortresses.

Armok works in mysterious ways ;)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:01:30 pm »

This is  DF 2014... Everything is terrifying.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:25 pm »

Except when it's inevitable.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »

okay the basic layout of a mountain home usually looks like this
smaller rooms are tuck away in 1 tile wide hallways usually any door in the middle of the hallway is a smaller room, and the doors you need for navigating are the ones near the end of the hall.
once you hit the 3 tile hallways that's when you're closer to escaping.
follow these until you get notifications of people usually yellow !! or blue ! once you do find a hallway going to that direction,
now in that area you will find the exit which would be a spiraling ramp going up and down.

it helps to at the start of game check to see if you can fast travel. Because you can fast travel in mountain homes so you could just bypass the whole finding a escape by getting lucky with a starting point that has a tunnel.
my adventurer is one z level below this screen cap, and I took this using the reveal option for dfhack(not saying you need dfhack to explore these things just I wanted to throw up a map to explain how to explore out of these sites.)

this brings me back to the 40d era where dwarf toilets dump you into a room and expected you to escape.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 09:47:16 pm »

Ah the ASCII it burns!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:49:10 am »

I think the sites without exits are destroyed in some events (and sometimes they are even human, because they have human icon on the map and large items in the cabinets). I was able to found them only with reveal by dfhack if not spawned there. Maybe it is a bug when a dwarf starts there?

Also I see no real reason they exists, since adventurer can't dig and you cant embark in such places. It's nice the game provides some continuity, but if the only way to find about it legitimately is to start walled in here then something is not right.

Punching Bag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 09:00:26 pm »

Except when it's inevitable.

Sigged.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:54 pm »

Mountain home exits are usually a single upward stair tucked into a corner. They lead to the center of a 7 wide road. It is easy to miss them. If they frustrate you, you shouldn't start in anything that says 'mountain hall'. This is a challenge found throughout underground exploration. 'Hillock' is easiest to deal with.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: [1] 2