Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.40.12: FATAL ERROR Nemesis Unit Load Failed  (Read 2592 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
0.40.12: FATAL ERROR Nemesis Unit Load Failed
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:45 pm »

I was surprised to run into a "Nemesis Unit Load Failed" error in the middle of adventure mode.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I don't know what it means, exactly.  If it is the save data, I don't see how that would happen during the game.

I was at a site and trying to talk with a group that was wandering around for unknown (to me) reasons.  I was wondering if they were trying to claim the site but it didn't seem so.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.40.12: FATAL ERROR Nemesis Unit Load Failed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »

Haven't run into that problem, though I've gotten repeated crashes with forest retreats and a whole bunch of recurring crashes that seem connected to the midmap coordinates out of bounds' error, which I'd like Toady One to check out.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:03:01 am »

The 34.11 Museum community game had a few of these - we're of the opinion that it's a game-crashing corruption of a "nemesis unit" (ie: one or more of the roving NPC's).  The game doesn't know how to load them, so when they impinge onto actual awareness of your adventurer, or they attempt to visit your fortress, the game crashes.  Basically, they are NPC's you will never meet again because the Universe breaks when you try to perceive them.  It's very Lovecraftian if you think about it.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:51:53 am »

I'm getting this bug on 40.24 as well, but in Fortress mode.  http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10896 for a save that reliably recreates the bug within a few seconds of unpausing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:42 pm »

Oh, wow, I haven't seen one of those since 40d. 

Your problem is that you're missing part of your save data, or have a save corruption.  Specifically, the game is trying to load someone (like a historical figure who is part of a siege or diplomat for a caravan) and finding that the file it is trying to load does not exist.  (Basically, a Null Pointer Exception...)

He's talking about this bug.  It was widely reported in prior versions.  It's a severe bug that so far has proved difficult to track down.  I thought everyone knew about it by now.

Try going to an earlier save, and copying your data files from that save folder to your new one, and not overwriting anything that exists.  It may cause some screwups with people suddenly being alive that have already been killed, but it's better than a fatal error. :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:50:15 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:52:46 am »

Thanks for the reply!  I did try that, but it didn't seem to make a difference, so I tried overwriting, which also made no difference.  At this point, I'm thinking it might be related to not having a live civilization, possibly liaison-related.  It didn't seem to be a problem not to have a liaison in the first two years.  When the dwarf caravan arrived, I got a message saying "No liaison? How curious!"  But a queen had just named herself a few seasons prior - since the last caravan had departed.

I guess it could just as easily be something else, too!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:47 pm »

Well, you might want to try looking even further backwards through your savegames, and see if you can't take one from the very start of your game. 

Again, this was extremely common in the 40d days, to the point of being the only sticky in the bug report forum. 

First, if you have it, keep a copy of your game from before you started copy-pasting data over it separate, and try to put it up on DFFD.

If you have a copy of your save from right after worldgen (I always copy immediately after worldgen, if only for Legends Mode,) then overwrite your unit_ files from that. 

This may be a problem of the queen's liason not being in earlier save data, however, given what you are saying. 

If the above fix doesn't work, try putting a save where you haven't used a bunch of copy-pasting up on DFFD, and add it to this bug report, with the explanation that changes in queens that are off the map may cause this bug to develop with the liason not being in the history files.

Further, did you ever have a crash in the middle of the game saving?  That might explain some problems.  Also, did you load a game, even to look at a world for an embark, and then generate a world afterwards?  There used to be a major save corruption bug that occurred when data wasn't cleaned up after unloading a map before generating a new world. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:16 am »

Thanks - I tried some of those things, but I was rather tired and a bit frustrated when I did, which could have led to me adding the wrong files to the save. :'( I feel pretty foolish about my poor organization at this point.

I did put it up on the DFFD, although for the above reasons I'm not even sure it's the correct file anymore.

I never had a crash in the middle of saving, though. 

Also, did you load a game, even to look at a world for an embark, and then generate a world afterwards?  There used to be a major save corruption bug that occurred when data wasn't cleaned up after unloading a map before generating a new world. 

I did this probably two dozen times to get a world where the dwarven civilization was dead and where the world was nice in other ways.  In most cases I deleted the save before generating a new world, but not in all cases.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:39 am »

I did this probably two dozen times to get a world where the dwarven civilization was dead and where the world was nice in other ways.  In most cases I deleted the save before generating a new world, but not in all cases.

No, it's not deleting the save.  You have to close the game between when you are genning a world or loading a save and when you generate a new world.  Data from the old worlds, if left in the game's memory, will corrupt the data of the new world, and it only was cleared when you closed DF. 

This created serious data corruption problems, such as the infamous "cotton candy spire" or else embarks where huge chunks of the map would collapse into the caverns at the moment of embark.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 10:48:20 am »

That's really good information for me.  I am very picky about the worlds I play in, so I pretty much always gen dozens of worlds before playing.  Sometimes I even delete a world if I don't like the name of it. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »

That's really good information for me.  I am very picky about the worlds I play in, so I pretty much always gen dozens of worlds before playing.  Sometimes I even delete a world if I don't like the name of it.

Well, that bug was supposed to have been fixed.  If it's not, then it's an issue. 

And I hate to say it, but I've had a couple crashes on saves, but it was on the "cleaning up data" stage, which shouldn't matter if I'm closing out, but now I have an Autumn with no liason, either. 

... At least this is a fort I wasn't intending to play for long.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare