Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Adventure M.] Hobos asking for food/money.  (Read 1399 times)

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
[Adventure M.] Hobos asking for food/money.
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:27 pm »

So this idea just came to my mind about five minutes ago. The premise is; imagine you are walking in a hamlet, but then, a unknow person starts coming to you. That person is a "hobo". This type of citizens have special talking lines and can ask you for food or money. Example:

"Hello hero -(If you aren't know in that place, he can refer to you has "adventurer" or "fella", etc.), can you please [insert little ammount of money/food here], please? Help a poor homeless..."

Then you can do two things; ignore him (walking one tile away) or drop the things he/she is asking. Then, two things can happen;

a) If you give him the stuff, he will thank you and then walk away. When the reputation in-game is less broken maybe he can talk about it with people and your hero reputation will rise a little.
b) If you don't give him the stuff and just walk away, he will insult you from distance (just like the "yield to everyone" option) and then just walk away or he will walk again to you and keep asking (just like Assasin's Creed). If the second thing happens and you still doesn't give anything to him, other two options can happen; he would leave you alone (with another insult) or he can punch/spit/kick you and start a "no quarter" fight. The last one is a rare ocassion, but it can happen.

I don't know, this maybe give adventure mode a little more "realistic" touch.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:12:59 pm by RoguelikesESP »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: [Adventure M.] Hobos asking for food/money.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »

I think the term you're looking for here is beggar. And yes, it is highly historically accurate. However, how do you decide who becomes a beggar? We already end up with dwarves who end up reaching noble positions being drunks.

Beggars shouldn't start no quarter fights, too. Perhaps muggers can be implemented, but only when an adventure mode justice system is more fleshed out (Watchmen stopping muggings, for example).

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:25:33 pm »

I think the term you're looking for here is beggar. And yes, it is highly historically accurate. However, how do you decide who becomes a beggar? We already end up with dwarves who end up reaching noble positions being drunks.

Beggars shouldn't start no quarter fights, too. Perhaps muggers can be implemented, but only when an adventure mode justice system is more fleshed out (Watchmen stopping muggings, for example).
There are dwarves that aren't drunks?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:42:14 pm »

There are dwarves that aren't drunks?
Maybe a dwarven 'drunk' is a dwarf that hangs around sober most of the day.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:53 am »

So this idea just came to my mind about five minutes ago. The premise is; imagine you are walking in a hamlet, but then, a unknow person starts coming to you. That person is a "hobo". This type of citizens have special talking lines and can ask you for food or money. Example:

"Hello hero -(If you aren't know in that place, he can refer to you has "adventurer" or "fella", etc.), can you please [insert little ammount of money/food here], please? Help a poor homeless..."

Then you can do two things; ignore him (walking one tile away) or drop the things he/she is asking. Then, two things can happen;

a) If you give him the stuff, he will thank you and then walk away. When the reputation in-game is less broken maybe he can talk about it with people and your hero reputation will rise a little.
b) If you don't give him the stuff and just walk away, he will insult you from distance (just like the "yield to everyone" option) and then just walk away or he will walk again to you and keep asking (just like Assasin's Creed). If the second thing happens and you still doesn't give anything to him, other two options can happen; he would leave you alone (with another insult) or he can punch/spit/kick you and start a "no quarter" fight. The last one is a rare ocassion, but it can happen.

I don't know, this maybe give adventure mode a little more "realistic" touch.

Except that in Adventure Mode as in Dwarf Fortress they do not operate under a system of private property much.  Food and other items are freely available for everyone, owned items are actually fully available for use by anyone (if not presently carried by an individual) and plenty of items you are actually allowed to walk away with, including food. 

Given that our population can just pick whatever they actually need out of the common stockpile with no legal repurcusions why would anyone be a begger in the game at all?  Actually beggers in the game would be completely unrealistic because we have a society that would never create them. 

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »

For this to work right, I think we'll need a proper functioning world economy first.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:19:54 am »

For this to work right, I think we'll need a proper functioning world economy first.

You mean a properly dis-functional world economy surely?  ;)