Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Humble Hauling Suggestion: Concerning Wheelbarrows  (Read 1635 times)

BloodAndIron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Humble Hauling Suggestion: Concerning Wheelbarrows
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »

I think that wheelbarrows should be able to hold more than one item at a time. They shouldn't be able to hold as much as a minecart, but perhaps a couple hundred Urists worth of items.

It would add a bit more realism to the rather nonsensical system of "one log per wheelbarrow". Who ever heard of someone using a wheelbarrow to cart one little log? Wouldn't someone attempt to take many logs at once?

Of course, it would also help mining operations a great deal, since all of those ores are very heavy indeed for the many scrawny, weakling dwarves I currently harbor.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: A Humble Hauling Suggestion: Concerning Wheelbarrows
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »

That would make a lot of sense. I like it, you wouldn't need so many dwarves hauling all the time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:29:21 pm »

+10000

Wheelbarrows are horribly inefficient right now, anyway. We need this.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:49:27 am »

This is already planned.

Quote from: Dev page
Bloat10, WHEELBARROWS, (Future): Wheelbarrows could be made and used by haulers to do several jobs at once. The AI for this is complicated though.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

BloodAndIron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:43 am »

This is already planned.

Bloat10, WHEELBARROWS, (Future): Wheelbarrows could be made and used by haulers to do several jobs at once. The AI for this is complicated though.

It is unclear what that statement implies. It could mean that "Haulers will use the wheelbarrow to take a log to a stockpile, then use the wheelbarrow to take a gold nugget to the smelters, having both in mind while making the trips", or, perhaps the more likely candidate, "Haulers will pick up a log and a gold nugget, put them both into the wheelbarrow, then make a trip to the wood pile and the smelters to drop off their respective materials."

Toady probably meant the latter, but that's just my opinionated interpretation with no real evidence behind it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:29:19 am »

This is already planned.

It is unclear what that statement implies. It could mean that "Haulers will use the wheelbarrow to take a log to a stockpile, then use the wheelbarrow to take a gold nugget to the smelters, having both in mind while making the trips", or, perhaps the more likely candidate, "Haulers will pick up a log and a gold nugget, put them both into the wheelbarrow, then make a trip to the wood pile and the smelters to drop off their respective materials."

Toady probably meant the latter, but that's just my opinionated interpretation with no real evidence behind it.

Well, since a wheelbarrow is assigned to a stockpile, it really only makes sense for piling multiple objects in the wheelbarrow.  An alternate meaning (and I hope this is included as well) is dropping off stuff someplace and then using the wheelbarrow to bring something else back on a return trip.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »

Ideally dwarves should be able to haul multiple items as well, though i vaguely remember it being said as planned. Not sure though.