Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire Diplomat you say? Now that... that is downright disturbing.  (Read 1433 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

I'm not sure  that the good dwarves of Mountainshocked are going to remain friends with the humans. They have... some odd habits. ...Now I do realise that they are allowed to choose a diplomat with good people skills, and I realise that a vampire has good people skills, but... well... but.

This is what I saw when my Count (nice dwarf, keeps to himself, has an odd infatuation with breast...um...plates...) was having a pleasant nap:

I don't tend to check every half minute whether there are "strangers" in my fort, so I was actually totally unaware of these guys being here in Mountainshocked. It's a vampire and two humans. The vampire is a "lawkeeper" and a diplomat. I hadn't thought about it... but perhaps the two humans (an axeman and a swordsman) are to stop him from having a snack? They are classified as "friendly", whilst the diplomat is classified... as a diplomat. But honestly... he is watching the Count sleep. That is sodding creepy. I mean, it was creepy when we had a dwarf diplomat watch the Count sleep but this is far creepier.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm at a loss. I think this, out of all the dwarf fortress events, will probably be the thing that successfully gives me nightmares.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Diplomat you say? Now that... that is downright disturbing.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:00:14 am »

It's a "normal" diplomat - an emissary from the human civilisation who just wants to have a nice little chat with your noble. The human entourage may be diplomat bodyguards. I heard those were introduced to make diplomats a bit more likely to survive strutting into an ambush.

In the current situation, with the vampire in your count's bedroom, it's probably safer to just wait and let them talk. You could decide that you won't have relations through an undead abomination and take steps to snuff or disable the vampire (it'd even be a service to the human civ). Aggressing a diplomat via military orders should still be possible, and you could snare and imprison a diplomat, which might drive them insane. Hurting the diplomat will make the civilisation angry, and in my experience, killing the lawmaker can be enough to make the humans go to war.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:25 am »

It's a "normal" diplomat - an emissary from the human civilisation who just wants to have a nice little chat with your noble. The human entourage may be diplomat bodyguards. I heard those were introduced to make diplomats a bit more likely to survive strutting into an ambush.

In the current situation, with the vampire in your count's bedroom, it's probably safer to just wait and let them talk. You could decide that you won't have relations through an undead abomination and take steps to snuff or disable the vampire (it'd even be a service to the human civ). Aggressing a diplomat via military orders should still be possible, and you could snare and imprison a diplomat, which might drive them insane. Hurting the diplomat will make the civilisation angry, and in my experience, killing the lawmaker can be enough to make the humans go to war.

...which will just mean a few squads worth of humanite and horse meat/leather/bone next year, and a peace offer the year after.  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:07 am »

I decided to keep my human vampire diplomat alive. Reason: he is the only one to bring me news, since my lazy liaison retired and settled.

I wish merchants were bringing news. But all they are interested in is money and self-preservation.