Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confusion with throne/dining room stuff..  (Read 1645 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Confusion with throne/dining room stuff..
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »

Ugh, hate to make a thread just for this, but... I always create an overly large fully engraved dining room for my dwarves, but each time I add statues in and assign the whole room as a statue garden, and then use a chair to assign a free 'Throne Room or Study', and then a table for a free dining room... Using the shiny engraving room for as many uses as possible is the idea, of course :>

Anyway, the problem is that one or more of these designations provides a siren call for every single unrestrained tame animal in the fort to pile on in, and then refuse to leave to the point of starvation or dehydration :| And to add an extra level of scary is the realization that they all generally showed up to that room at the same time so should all be near-equally dehydrated or hungry :|

What designation(s) are the culprit?? Should I be blocking rooms like this off with non-pet-passable doors? Should I let 74 geese simultaneously dehydrate because it'd be at least mildly humorous? ;)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion with throne/dining room stuff..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »

Do you have an existing pasture zone?

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:48 pm »

Besides two migrant reindeer the geese are the only animals I brought this time, and before the dining hall designations they'd hang out around the nest boxes or river on the surface, so I never did issue them a pasture..

EDIT: Also, I may or may not have recently modeled my current avatar/caption after yours :D I'm planning on editing a nice helm and beard onto my kitty soon though :) I see you around CataclysmDDA pretty often :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:51:51 pm by dwarf_reform »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:19 am »

It's the meeting zone. Unpastured animals meet there too!

Also, do animals even get thirsty?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:26:15 am »

EDIT: Also, I may or may not have recently modeled my current avatar/caption after yours :D I'm planning on editing a nice helm and beard onto my kitty soon though :) I see you around CataclysmDDA pretty often :D
I accidentally bought a tablet and then I accidentally the art...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:03 am »

D'oh, its precious! :) Now I'm going to drop it into Paint.net and accidentally brush a beard onto him :D

Also: "The Stray Horse (Tame) has been found dead, starved to death." Now that you mention it, I'm not positive I ever saw a 'dehydrated' message, and my current announcement log doesn't show one either.. I've removed all the designations, will wait for the animal herd to air out and then install some doors to lock against them.. Curious now if they'll just pile up outside the door like zombies :|

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:03 am »

Animals do not drink, and they will pile up at the door.  Ever had a non-pet door as the entry to a cat owner's bedroom?  The cat sits outside the door impatiently.

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:12 am »

You really should either pasture or butcher -or kill in other ways should you choose- your animals. Otherwise they will just randomly die around your meeting halls and could produce a few negative thoughts.

If you care about them surviving, then you should create indoor pastures (Requires water and discovery of caverns).

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 01:46:27 am »

I've got an aquifer I can create indoor water with but its all sand.. Not sure if I can get underground plants to show up on it or not..? I've got a freshly enlisted soldier that just got bit about seven times by a were-hyena so I'm busy making him his own nice home to be burrowed in on the surface..

Also, finished the cat! :)

http://imgur.com/nlA66Eg

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:27 am »

I've got an aquifer I can create indoor water with but its all sand.. Not sure if I can get underground plants to show up on it or not..?
Always make pasture zones. Always. Even if you set up a Meeting Area above ground, with a grassy floor for animals to eat, some dumb beast is always going to find its way to an underground one, with a floor of cold, hard stone, and starve itself to death.

The trigger for floor fungus is to open the caverns, so spores can colonize your fort. You can create all the muddy indoor floors you want, but until you breach the caverns (and it has to be a cavern with plants already growing in it, IIRC), the only thing that will grow in your "tree farm" is mud.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Zephem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:10:43 am »

Fungus can grow on any type of "soil" tile. Since you have sand you don't need to worry about it.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:18 am »

Should I be blocking rooms like this off with non-pet-passable doors?

I've found that just ends up with animals slipping through when the door is open and getting trapped on the wrong side. I wish making a door not pet-passable meant they could not pass it. Open or not.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:48:04 am »

Should I be blocking rooms like this off with non-pet-passable doors?

I've found that just ends up with animals slipping through when the door is open and getting trapped on the wrong side. I wish making a door not pet-passable meant they could not pass it. Open or not.

Yep, it's annoying. Pasture them, wait for the dwarfs will show the way out them remove the pasture if you like. Except cats. Cats are jerks.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.