Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92821 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #480 on: October 16, 2014, 03:34:17 am »

So my internet is down for a few days, I get on and BAM!

Good job everyone.

As for the poll, I think it's safe to say about the black wasp malitia commander sprite being better.

As for the shields, I think there should be a decreased exp gain from shields, but they should have at least one form of protection from projectiles. I'm thinking that wasps can't use shields well because of the shape of their arms (legs) so they need to run a reaction called (refit shield with leather straps) that will give a syndrome to the user giving it an extra 20% learn rate
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 16, 2014, 03:48:45 am »

insane! welcome back, man.

the thing about the shields is that a four armed user can pick three and a weapon. and the shield parrying is based on percentages, which of course stack. so as you can see, a wasp picking 3 shields will be horribly OP, and that's the reason shield gaining exp should be very low. currently it is only 20%, and maybe we'll need to lower it even more. therefore, a wasp gaining exp at a bit less than half speed will be too strong. also, you can't affect exp gain through a syndrome.

anyway, the new files should be the most playable version we've had, but if you wait for a while i will upload an even better one that has the new shield tweaks, a unique language and whatever issues i've noticed in my short playthrough fixed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #482 on: October 16, 2014, 03:53:03 am »

that will give a syndrome to the user giving it an extra 20% learn rate
cant be done, skill learn rate is caste-based, you cant add this with syndromes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #483 on: October 16, 2014, 04:02:43 am »

that will give a syndrome to the user giving it an extra 20% learn rate
cant be done, skill learn rate is caste-based, you cant add this with syndromes.
damn.

Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 16, 2014, 05:08:47 am »

okay, new file is up. the wasps have their own language now, and i also fixed some imbalances (including the shield thing). i raised the prices of the shrine by a lot, but most of these are meant for late game anyways, and well developed hives should have little problem finding meat, hides and souls in great qualities anyway. especially since wasps are carnivores cannibals. i meant cannibals. i should be more careful when writing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:09:36 pm by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:18 am »

You know, the wiki says that world gen is bugged with creatures with the bonecarn tag saying that they starve out very quickly but I've been consistently genning 100 history worlds so I don't know what the wiki is talking about.

Question for the hunter sprite: Should it wield a sling or a bow?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 16, 2014, 06:18:06 am »

wasps aren't bonecarn or carnivores

Question for the hunter sprite: Should it wield a sling or a bow?

a bow

also, i think we should remove the NO_SLEEP tag. planning bedrooms is a big and challenging part of building a base, and with no need to sleep wasps are deprived of a source of good and bad thoughts, plus having them working 24/7 makes building and maintaining a base too easy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:29:18 am by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 16, 2014, 04:21:06 pm »

Hey guys I just want to give an update on the reproduction system, almost all of the vanilla stuff is done. The only thing left is to give the larvae some other syndrome effects before the victim transforms (such as them falling unconscious 2 days before the wasp emerges, or extreme pain). Also I have to change the test durations to the official durations so that, it takes weeks for the wasps to hatch rather than them hatching quickly.

How long should it take for wasps to hatch after the larvae has been injected inside the host?

Of course now I need to worry about the dwarfhack component of the reproduction system, I need to make it so that the queen spawns 8 eggs periodically(no workshops) and so that when the enemy is transformed by the larvae, that they immediatly become civ members.(A script for that has already been made, we just need to figure out how to apply it)

Should I upload my files? Also can someone help with the dwarfhack stuff?

Another thing I noticed is that the wasps,abherrants,praetorians have CREATURE_CLASS:HIVEMIND and CREATURE_CLASS:WASPS. Is their a reason why there are two creature classes or is one of them redundant?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:27:36 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 16, 2014, 04:37:42 pm »

Hey guys I just want to give an update on the reproduction system, almost all of the vanilla stuff is done. The only thing left is to give the larvae some other syndrome effects before the victim transforms (such as them falling unconscious 2 days before the wasp emerges, or extreme pain). Also I have to change the test durations to the official durations so that, it takes weeks for the wasps to hatch rather than them hatching quickly.

yay!

How long should it take for wasps to hatch after the larvae has been injected inside the host?

about a year

Of course now I need to worry about the dwarfhack component of the reproduction system, I need to make it so that the queen spawns 8 eggs periodically(no workshops) and so that when the enemy is transformed by the larvae, that they immediatly become civ members.(A script for that has already been made, we just need to figure out how to apply it)

Should I upload my files? Also can someone help with the dwarfhack stuff?

oh god, i'd love to help but i don't know anything about dfhack. when modding things, i tend to have a love-hate relationship with it: it expands modding to stuff that i couldn't even thought could be done (hell, Gavj is working on a realistic geological simulator!), and then adds a new horizon of hilarious ways for me to fail. but in this case you may not even need dfhack. upload the files, however, and we'll see what can be done. how does the script work, by the way?

Another thing I noticed is that the wasps,abherrants,praetorians have CREATURE_CLASS:HIVEMIND and CREATURE_CLASS:WASPS. Is their a reason why there are two creature classes or is one of them redundant?

as i put and removed stuff, i made new creature classes, took others away and then removed or changed the reactions that used them. as a result, most of them are redundant, but they're harmless.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:44:59 pm by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 16, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »

EDIT: THESE ARE NOW OLD AND OUTDATED DO NOT USE THEM

Here are the files
Spoiler: NEW CREATURES (click to show/hide)

This was it's own creature file

Spoiler: INTERACTIONS (click to show/hide)

This was also it's own interaction file

Spoiler: BODY_FILE (click to show/hide)

Just plop that into the body file

Spoiler: BODY_DETAIL plans (click to show/hide)

Just plop those into the body detail plan file

There it is, Still has the test durations. Also haven't made a way to create a queen. (I'm confused how you want it to happen, although I did make a Royal larvae and it's associated syndromes and interactions) And for some reason there is a description that says "It's skin are white" It should be "is white" but I have no idea where that typo comes from.

If you want to test the reproduction system just type spawn UNFERTILIZED_WASP_EGG into the dfhack console and it will spawn an egg where the cursor is pointing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:22:23 pm by heydude6 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 16, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »

awesome!

the queen is made by eating the brain essences of dead wasps. it's... not a very elegant way and there's still a lot of room for tweaks and improvements, but it works. the royal jelly thing was just a placeholder.

the typo is cause by the red part [TLCM_NOUN:skin:PLURAL]. to fix it, it needs to be replaced by the green part [TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR] i found several instances of this bug in the already existing wasp raws. that's a good opportunity to fix them all.

i'd love to test the new reactions, but it's 01:10 am by the time i write this, so it will have to wait for tomorrow.

still, can you tell me how does the scrpt you mentioned works? and what's your opinion about removing the NO_SLEEP tag?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 16, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »

What happened was that I stumbled into this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144534.0 forum topic and then boltgun (creator of succubus mode) added a link to a script he made for succubus mode that allowed a unit to be converted to his civ. Unfortunatly I have no idea how to activate scripts in dfhack so I am just leaving this link incase somebody figures out how to. Also if we use this script we have to include him in the credits.

Also yes remove [NO_SLEEP] wasps sleep IRL and it would encourage the player to carve small pockets for them to sleep in (kind of like honeycombs)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:30:20 pm by heydude6 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:59 am »

ok, i think i figured a (comically complicated) workaround:

1)the larva bites its victim
2)its bite carries a syndrome which gives the syndrome a self targeted interaction which transforms it into something temporary
3)the temporary creature has an interaction which targets one larva and transforms it as a free action
4)the temporary creature is transfomed in a temporary creature which dies instantly without leaving a corpse behind
5)the larva is now a transitioning wasp which still belongs to your civilization, and therefore when the transformation is complete will be a part of your civ. the only problem is, i think that as it happens with the rest of the transformed pets, you will not be able to put the wasp in squads until it has killed something (which is very easy, just capture an opponent, make him fall from somewhere and have your wasp finish him off)

or we could simply ask boltgun for permission to use his script...

i have a question, however: how does the queen spawn the eggs? maybe we could use a syndrome stone and LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS. also, the larvae appear to be immortal because they lack a maxage. shouldn't we make them die after a few years if they haven't managed to infect someone?

finally, how old do spawned creatures start as? because i read somewhere that they start 15 years old
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:12:36 am by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 17, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »

Anyway I'm working with syndrometrigger DFhack plugin and I have seemed to run into a problem.

Spoiler: INTERACTION (click to show/hide)

What I wanted to do was make it so that when the interaction was triggered it would execute the command "slayrace HIVEMIND_WASP" I checked and it turned out that syndrometrigger was still up-to-date so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (the CDI tokens are correct by the way) maybe there is a dwarfhack questions forum someone can redirect me to

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:18 pm »

I can see that this is the egg laying reaction. Why are you running slayrace?( by the way, I think you need to also put autosyndrome). Shall I mod the five step plan from my previous post?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 77