Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92856 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #495 on: October 17, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

If we can get this working we won't need to since I plan on using it to run a makeown script. Maybe I should ask this question on the dfhack thread?

Autosyndrome is only for workshop reactions I'm using syndrometrigger which allows me to activate it on interactions. I'm doing slayrace because it is simple and I want to make sure that this actually recognizes the dfhack command. An alternative would be to just make a workshop instead which would allow us to use autosyndrome but I only want that as a last resort.

The thing is, this isn't the first time someone made a script that made a unit passively spawn units around it( Meph's conjurer from human mode) and if I could just figure out how it worked most of our problems would be solved. But for some strange reason I looked at the conjurer Raws and it didn't have any CDI tokens.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:44:19 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 18, 2014, 01:49:38 am »

Well, I keep looking at it and can't find something wrong. Maybe the fact that you also added an ADD_TAG? I don't know, the dfhack thread is the best place to find an answer. As for the workshop, I'm planning to add the infectory we were talking about to use slave "pets" as hosts. They should have that option, it makes no sense for the wasps not to use them. I will balance it by adding some extra cost to it. You do know, by the way, the spawned wasps will probably be unable to be placed in squads until they're considered historical figures.

also i figured out what meph did with the conjurer (and the other special castes): the humans have an interaction where they constantly give hired castes their interactions, conjurer included. i don't know why he did it like that, but i'm fairly certain i can make something similar for the queen.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:26:19 am by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

Thank you than you're awesome.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »

no problem :)

here are some more stuff i though we might add:

-consuming brain essences to make wasps permanently immortal. you will not be losing you best artisans constantly, it will make succession games more viable and will require far less micromanagement than the current system where you have to offer new essences one time per year. of course, it will require a significant quantity of brain essences (for which you must kill your own wasps) so you can't simply make it for all your hive. you must choose which wasps are precious to you and which ones are disposable.

-their own clothing: they don't have many clothes as it is, and can you picture a wasp wearing a skirt?

-better chitin armor, unique forms of chitin: by combining traditional chitin with cloth, some quantity of wood and special waspen made saliva (represented in the reagents by seeds and alcohol which the waspen worker is supposed to be chewing when he makes the reaction) wasps can make unique forms of chitin which are more durable, the strongest of these maybe even coming close to steel. how strong one such form is depends on how many raw materials have been used into making it, and may require several stages.

-finally, here's an idea: what if the wasps had no need of metal at all? what if they don't even need to forge their weapons? after all, who needs to forge a blade when you can nourish one?

for meat and paper cement, you can cultivate special bugs in the hive caller (they will be represented by a tool made from a material that wears after a while, representing the bugs dying if they are left on their own). then, in a special workshop, you take meat, leather and the bug tool. you produce a "creature" which is immobile and has no physical needs named "developing organic weapon". after some time, it transforms into a creature which dies automatically, leaving behind an organic weapon.

as with the chitin, the quality of the weapon depends on how much resources you spent :the basic ones require only a season and some meat and leather, the better ones require 6 months and more leather and meat, and the best ones require a full year and a soul. if you are really rich, you can give it some more souls, essences and 1,5 year to produce masterwork quality organic weapons. with a similar process you can nourish an organic symbiote to "coat" the wasp's sting with.

what do you say?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 18, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »

Well those are decisions insanegame has to make. Immortality might be a bit too far though (wouldn't the queen get jealous  :P).

Also this sounds like a dumb question but what does immortality have to do with succession games?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 18, 2014, 01:47:10 pm »

so named wasps don't die like flies.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 18, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

Ok. Anyway, I managed to make the queen lay eggs, now I need to make it so that the queen lays 8 eggs every _____ months. Shouldn't be hard, although announcements do not popup unfortunatly. At what intervals should the queen lay eggs? once every season? Also how long do you want for the eggs to hatch into larvae?

I remember you saying that you want it be 6 months for a larvae to hatch into a full grown wasp after it implants itself in a host, maybe you should change that number? (remember the host is still alive and well for those 6 months)

Also larvae are able to become a leather industry at the current moment :D
(One skin per larvae)

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 18, 2014, 03:18:31 pm »

Ok. Anyway, I managed to make the queen lay eggs, now I need to make it so that the queen lays 8 eggs every _____ months. Shouldn't be hard, although announcements do not popup unfortunatly. At what intervals should the queen lay eggs? once every season? Also how long do you want for the eggs to hatch into larvae?

I remember you saying that you want it be 6 months for a larvae to hatch into a full grown wasp after it implants itself in a host, maybe you should change that number? (remember the host is still alive and well for those 6 months)

Also larvae are able to become a leather industry at the current moment :D
(One skin per larvae)

8 eggs per year sounds fine. that means one egg per about 50000 ticks. as for the egg, in dwarf fortress eggs hatch after 3 months. let's keep it like that. and yeah, if the host is to remain alive and well for 6 months we totally should change that number. making it instant would not be bad, as a matter of fact.

speaking of which, have you found a workaround about  the invader flag?

and i like the idea of larvae becoming a proud (?) part of the leather industry :D

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 18, 2014, 04:39:06 pm »

Hey Than, seeing that aberrants are former members of wasp society I think you should make them have castes just like wasps do, just soldier,drone, and worker. We don't need any of the metal castes or queens. Also abherrants have P as their icon at the current moment, I think it should be A. Also their is a typo in the worker description "Workers for the majority of a hive." It probably should be are. Also drones have stingers. (they aren't supposed to).

I managed to fix the drone has a stinger problem, here is what you do. You have to move the part were the drone caste is declared to after [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] but before [SELECT_CASTE:DRONE] After you do that put this in [SELECT_CASTE:DRONE]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What this does is that when select caste all is triggered it gives all of the currently defined castes their bodies. The drone caste hasn't been defined yet. The drone caste then gets defined and adding that body token gives it a body.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 18, 2014, 05:07:30 pm »

Hey Than, seeing that aberrants are former members of wasp society I think you should make them have castes just like wasps do, just soldier,drone, and worker. We don't need any of the metal castes or queens. Also abherrants have P as their icon at the current moment, I think it should be A. Also their is a typo in the worker description "Workers for the majority of a hive." It probably should be are. Also drones have stingers. (they aren't supposed to).

I managed to fix the drone has a stinger problem, here is what you do. You have to move the part were the drone caste is declared to after [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] but before [SELECT_CASTE:DRONE] After you do that put this in [SELECT_CASTE:DRONE]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What this does is that when select caste all is triggered it gives all of the currently defined castes their bodies. The drone caste hasn't been defined yet. The drone caste then gets defined and adding that body token gives it a body.

hey. praetorians are the former soldiers, but i should indeed give them a drone caste. and make their ascii symbol an A as you said. as for the typo... yeah, i meant to say form, but since english is not even my native tongue, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is incorrect too. i will fix it, it will be easy.

i didn't knew drones weren't supposed to have stingers. well, now they don't :) and the bug i feared (them spilling "unknown creature substance") doesn't appear to occur in the arena

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »

Out of curiosity what is your native language?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:48 pm »

greek. you're from the US, right?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 18, 2014, 05:17:03 pm »

Canada actually

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 18, 2014, 05:17:56 pm »

oh, ok :)

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »

The idea for the making of organic weapons is really interesting, but there should be some extra features to make them viable. I mean, with normal weapons, the only thing you need is the metal, a dwarf with the job enabled and a forge. Why would the player go the great lengths needed to make an organic weapon if they could just make a whole squad using only bows and steal the weapons that come from invanders? (unless you have worked on making them useless to the wasps)

Maybe the organic weapons could have unique syndromes, with the more complex weapons having more devastating effects; basic ones could have simple venoms, advanced one would rot skin or eyes or something like that.

Would ALL waspen weapons be made like this, by the way? I think it could be really interesting, but some adaptations would be needed for the early game, like making the basic bows and slings require perhaps only a few weeks in-game to grow.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 77