Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92767 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:22 am »

Is there a way to make a four handed weapon or can you force it by using multigrasp?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:43 am »

no, it only goes up to two handed. if you make a weapon with a very big MINIMUM_SIZE, then no one will be able to pick it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:09 pm »

Anyway I uploaded what I have done so far to Imgur. I'm using it as my personal backup in case I accidentally delete my sprites again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I drew some gun sprites because I was reading the creature file for the wasps and for some reason the profession name for blowgunner was riflewasp. I've been mostly working on the reproduction system rather than the sprites so I haven't made too much progress with them.

Personally I don't like my sprite for the macewasp and my sprite for the wrestler. I also don't like the colour of the brown militia captains armour. (what colour do you think it should be?)

Give some feedback if you want.

EDIT: question about the sprites, Should I leave them naked or should I wait till we decide what clothes they shall wear.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:30:10 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 22, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »

nice! they look fine to me, if you don't like the brown, try darker brown and yellow. i believe it will fit better

wasps will wear very little clothes. just amulets, bracers, anklets, a skirt called sarong and headscarf. because really, what is there to hide in a humanoid wasp :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:58:10 pm by than402 »

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 22, 2014, 06:26:06 pm »

They're looking quite fine! The only criticism I have is their lack of antennae, which makes their head look kind of naked. I attempted to give them a pair:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It does look kinda weird, though, so I can see why you'd not put them.

Otherwise, it's looking great.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 22, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

Well the only reason why they don't have antennae is because I couldn't cram them into a 16 by 16 resoloution. Here is a picture of a wasp with antennae in a 17 by 16 resolution .

See! it looks soo much better but unfortunately it's one pixel too large.

And yes I tried making it shorter but it just ruined the quality.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:03:54 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 25, 2014, 06:42:48 pm »

I have done it it's done! The hardest part of the reproduction system has been dealt with. The queens now lay eggs. And when the larvae infest a host they disappear leaving no corpse. And finally, when the victim fully hatches. They become a member of your civ!

Now I need to do the following things. Make the queen lay 8 eggs at a time per year. Change all of the testing durations to their final durations. And also one thing I noticed while I was testing was this. it is very annoying to capture an animal. To relieve that problem I created a creature called bait that will attract any animals that sees it towards it. ( I accomplished it by making it give animals LIKES_FIGHTING, yes that is a valid tag) but I have a problem, the animals still run away. I think I need to make it add NO_FEAR as well, but if that doesn't work I might have to give it CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE (the tags zombies use). I also made a bunch of other minor tweaks. I will tell you how it goes in attempting to fix the bait.

Also fun fact. If the new wasp isn't a historical figure they can still do labours and you can slaughter them at the butchers shop. They give 32 meat

Also small update on the annoying to capture animals part. All you have to do is spam cage traps all over the map (I only needed 12 on a 3x3 embark) and animals will just begin walking into them to the point of having a sustainable supply.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:46:58 pm by heydude6 »

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:52 pm »

Are you guys disabling migrant waves (after the first two hard-coded waves anyway)? I think this would make the whole "protect the Queen' business even MORE important and give people reason to pay attention to their reproduction cycle.

'sides, it'd make population control easier too, which I think it's always a plus.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 25, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »

congratulations! 

8 sounds like a pretty small number of eggs per year, if that's the only way to replenish your numbers, especially if you're an individual-life-is-cheap sort of species. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 25, 2014, 08:24:26 pm »

8 sounds like a pretty small number of eggs per year, if that's the only way to replenish your numbers, especially if you're an individual-life-is-cheap sort of species. 

Depends on the average life expectancy of your other units really, especially if one focuses on herding abberants and other monsters into the enemy.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 25, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »

Maybe 8 a season would be better? How long do eggs last?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »

Are you guys disabling migrant waves (after the first two hard-coded waves anyway)? I think this would make the whole "protect the Queen' business even MORE important and give people reason to pay attention to their reproduction cycle.

'sides, it'd make population control easier too, which I think it's always a plus.

Well ideally i would like to give them the CARNIVORE tag, and that would lead to the civ being wiped out meaning that no migrants. Of course this is my personal preference, the majority of design decisions are up to insanegame. (I will also probably add a booze overhaul for my own personal use)

Maybe 8 a season would be better? How long do eggs last?

Eggs themselves don't have a life expectancy, it's the larvae they unavoidably hatch into that do (eggs will hatch after 3 months). The larva's life expectancy is currently 1-2 years. (I should probably make it a flat 2)

Hey meph small question. When I butchered my larave they gave creature skin and it wouldn't let me use it at the tanner. How do I make it use the standardized skin? Meat and fat were still standardized.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:53:27 pm by heydude6 »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 25, 2014, 09:56:37 pm »

This certainly looks interesting, once Masterwork is updated to 40.xx, I'll likely give this a spin as well as my return to Kobolds.

If you can have more than one Queen (if it's a caste [likely rare] and not a position), then the 8/year might be reasonable. But if you only ever have the one Queen, then I'm in agreement with the people who say that's a bit low.

Equinox

• Bay Watcher
  • The end is near for us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 25, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »

This brings back some great memories from one of the Alien vs. Predator games on PS2 that I used to absolutely love playing when I was younger. The Aliens were my favourite purely because of their unique way of getting more troops (killing then turning the dead into food etc).
"They say the flapping wings of a single butterfly can stir a wind on the other side of the world. Ever wonder what impact your little bat wings have on this world?"

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:21 am »

Well ideally i would like to give them the CARNIVORE tag, and that would lead to the civ being wiped out meaning that no migrants. Of course this is my personal preference, the majority of design decisions are up to insanegame. (I will also probably add a booze overhaul for my own personal use)
Wouldn't this make them unable to be selected in Fortress mode, though?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 77