Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92880 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #585 on: October 27, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »

yes, i've read your idea. my only question is, ok all but one of the starting 7 will be sterile, so the last one will be a queen. how about the migrants?

The Interaction will have Global range (meaning can go through walls, has an insanely high maxrange) The queen will just sterilize everyone preventing them from using it. This will not block transforming a regular wasp to a queen through the official queen creation method though. Only from the wasps naturally transforming themselves.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »

well, since you thought it well, let's go with your idea. but there must be a way to make a spare queen if something happens to the first. we should keep the Hivemind's reaction, but maybe make it more expensive.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:21 pm »

Well the thing is my method does not mess with the method you are using. Both can exist at the same time
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:45 pm »

Let's keep them both, then. How about allowing them to import essences, however?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #589 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »

If you give the interaction to all, and you embark to have it turn one unit into a queen, and block the others, you have one issue: Its random. Yes, you get one queen, but the player has no say in who it is. With the reaction in a workshop you do require one manual workstep for the player, but you also give him control over A: if he wants a queen or not and B: which unit should become the queen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 27, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

Well, that is an issue. If it targets your artisan or miners that's ok, but you can have your only soldier caste that was supposed to protect the hive turn into something too risky to be used in combat.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2014, 07:32:39 pm »

well I could just make the soldier caste immune to this version of queenification. Although you have a good point.

Lets make it a poll then.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »

I vote "yes" for the poll suggestion :P what I said earlier: what do you think about letting the player import essences?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:06 pm »

i say sure but make them expensive. Although the problem with that is that players can just sell their essences instead.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »

Oh, that's easy. Player made essences are made of paper cement, so they're worth nothing.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 27, 2014, 08:01:09 pm »

If you give the interaction to all, and you embark to have it turn one unit into a queen, and block the others, you have one issue: Its random. Yes, you get one queen, but the player has no say in who it is. With the reaction in a workshop you do require one manual workstep for the player, but you also give him control over A: if he wants a queen or not and B: which unit should become the queen.
Considering how the Queen is such an important part of the whole wasp theme (it's even in the description of the race that "protecting the Queen" is their most important task), I think players should indeed ALWAYS have one. Leaving it to the players to decide if they want one or not would make what's mentioned as one of the core aspects of their gameplay entirely optional, which seems contradictory.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:33 pm »

Sagus has a good point. The Queen is not optional, it is one of the main features of the mod, it's what differentiates itself from other races. The fact that your miner was randomly selected to become the queen is unfortunate (i guess?) but it is worth it to avoid the risk of the player not having a queen. Also the queen has very strong chitin and combat abilities so it is a lot harder to kill her.

So I say let's not make it a poll

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 27, 2014, 08:12:21 pm »

It's not if you want a queen or not. You must have a queen, wasps have no townportal or ways to force migrants so that's your only source of new wasps. The question is: do you want your queen right on embark, or after you've established your hive? Because there are reasons to desire either depending on the circumstances.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 27, 2014, 08:14:51 pm »

good point.

maybe we should make it a poll then?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 27, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »

Yes we should
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 77