Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92152 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #615 on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »

well personally I think we should just run with your misery script idea you were talking about. Every full moon the regular wasps activate the misery script and then the queen near immediately deactivates it. if the queen is dead she can't deactivate it and so a tantrum spiral destroys the fort.

Am I missing something?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 28, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »

To be honest, I prefer badass queens running around murdering enemies by the score rather than a giant immobile slacker. After all waspen queens are supposed to be the leaders, not just baby laying factories. But there must be a penalty if the queen dies.
I agree with this being a more interesting option.

(Also, I still can't catch sight of your avatar without seeing Princess Celestia for some reason, than402. :-[)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 28, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »

well personally I think we should just run with your misery script idea you were talking about. Every full moon the regular wasps activate the misery script and then the queen near immediately deactivates it. if the queen is dead she can't deactivate it and so a tantrum spiral destroys the fort.

Am I missing something?

no, you're not. but i was talking about maybe if the queen dies in battle. that should be an extra motivation to protect her.

(Also, I still can't catch sight of your avatar without seeing Princess Celestia for some reason, than402. :-[)

come on, psychotic Donald :) i though it would fit the forum perfectly

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:25 pm »

come on, psychotic Donald :) i though it would fit the forum perfectly
It's a fine avatar. It's just that the first time I saw it I'd thought it was Princess Celestia and I can't shake the optical illusion anymore unless I give it a closer look. >_<

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »

glad you like it. it happens to me sometimes too. but i didn't even knew who Princess Celestia was before you mentioned it  :)

hanspeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 28, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »

I think you misunderstood. They wouldn't actually be feeding her like feeding prisoners/wounded works, just simulate it via automatic workshop jobs that run when there's a [command]-token + food/drink present. If you can tie the token-drop to hunger/thirst even better. The workshop could then reset hunger/thirst timers for the queen via autosyndromes. Otherwise just give her [NO_EAT]+[NO_DRINK] and have the tokens drop anyway.

I think it would be an interesting and novel approach to have a civ really center on the well-being of a single creature, with attendants and such. Warlocks are similar, maybe.. but they are still very autonomous.

i'm not sure i understand correctly what you are saying. what do you mean [command]-token?

I just called it [command]-token, it can be any custom item that's used for the feeding reactions to make them run automatically. Its more of a workaround than an actually useful item.

Let's say you have a feeding workshop "nest" which has the automatic job "Feed Queen" which requires a custom tool called [Feed me!] + meat. When there's no [Feed me!]-item present it won't run. When the queen drops the [Feed me!]-item and there's meat in your hive the job will be queued automatically and some worker will collect meat and the [Feed me!]-item, run the reaction which drops an autosyndrome that resets hunger and remove the [Feed me!]-item in the process.

Regarding the BATTLE QUEEN (fuck yeah!): Why not have her have a breeding season for a couple of months every year (maybe spring/summer?) in which she turns immobile, drops the larvae after a while and then returns to kicking ass around the hive? This would turn your hive a little more vulnerable during certain times. And difficulty = FUN.
Having her being able to drop larvae while ripping a couple of poor dwarves' heads off outside the wall seems rather odd.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 28, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »

Good idea actually. From now on the queen is temporarily rendered immobile while she is laying eggs.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:45 am »

Good idea actually. From now on the queen is temporarily rendered immobile while she is laying eggs.
Will this be done by temporarily turning her into a pet? It'd be best I think, so the wasps would be able to move her around designated areas.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 29, 2014, 06:07:37 am »

Well actually (after sleeping on it) I decided to just make her temporarily super slow instead.

Also it would be done with a mere syndrome. The eggs can be moved to pastures. The queen can also be moved to burrows.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 29, 2014, 09:22:12 am »

On the idea of the Queen being immobile while he's laying her eggs: would it also work to have her actually "reabsorb" the Eggs if she's "stressed" during that time? (Hungry/Thirsty or Injured.)

Rabbits can reabsorb their unborn kits in this way due to things like overcrowding or lack of food.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »

glad you like it. it happens to me sometimes too. but i didn't even knew who Princess Celestia was before you mentioned it  :)
Me too!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »

well you can butcher the larvae for one piece of meat and on piece of skin. Also I think the Queen being able to use the larvae as health kits is a bit overpowered.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 29, 2014, 09:53:19 pm »

well you can butcher the larvae for one piece of meat and on piece of skin. Also I think the Queen being able to use the larvae as health kits is a bit overpowered.
Don't know if this was in relation to my suggestion or not, so just in case: re-absorption would not heal the Queen at all. It would just cause the loss of the eggs that should have been produced that cycle/season/whatever. It gives you a reason to keep the ninja-Queen safe when she's preggers.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 31, 2014, 11:31:02 am »

There's a fascinating story in recent National Geographic about a species of slavemaster wasp (D. coccinellae) that entraps ladybugs, not only to be consumed by larvae, but the half-consumed "zombie" ladybug remains continue to stand guard over the cocoon for a while after the larvae emerges.  One of the punchlines in the story is that both the wasp and ladybug's behavior may actually be controlled in part by a parasitic virus. 

Next mode:  Virus Fortress!   8)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 31, 2014, 11:42:19 am »

That actually sounds awesome... You just have a random selection of races with a highly contagious player-control syndrome in their everything to start with, and work from there, growing your workforce with unlucky siege mobs and merchants rather than migrants... Yup.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 77