Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92879 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #630 on: October 31, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

ok, i read how misery works and figured an important problem: one wasp misses it, the script is enabled for the whole fort.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

Well didn't we want the whole fort to become miserable? I don't think I understand.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 31, 2014, 02:21:24 pm »

i mean you have a wasp that for some reason is stranded. maybe you're mining adamantine and have walled off a section of the caverns, maybe you're skirmishing with a sieger. maybe a wasp has been stranded because of a siege. there are plenty of cases where a civ member can be alone for a pretty long time. the wasp can't reach the queen, so she enables the interaction. now, queen or not, the whole fort's tantruming because of that one wasp.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:24:00 pm by than402 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »

That would be just a tiny problem, yeah.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 31, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »

well, i guess if the time between interactions was set to 3 years or something it would be ok... but i'm not sure how that works with migrants, merchants and spawned wasps. if the wasp triggers the interaction when it enters the map and then waits for 3 years to trigger it again it would go horribly wrong, with every migrant wave and caravan resulting to a tantrum spiral.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »

Have you tested it in-game to see how it goes?

I assume you can't make the interaction target only an individual wasp instead of everyone at once?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

no, that's how the script works. it triggers, bad thoughts are multiplied for the entire fort. we must think of another way to penalize neglecting your queen. or a workaround.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 31, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »

This sounds like it's starting to go the way of warlocks and thier issues keeping skeletons under control.

Could just have some kind of self-targeting debuff interactions afflict a unit who goes too long without contact with the queen in some fashion. Contact with the queen prevents these interactions from firing so to speak.

Example, if possible: A few months stuck alone - spatial and kinesthetic senses get all wonky via interaction (they become clumsier at fighting and thier work becomes sloppier,) a year or so alone and agility and strength suffer (representative of them becoming somewhat hopeless without the queen's reassuring and encouraging buzz in thier head,) two years and they suffer total physical attribute drain across the board, becoming slow, weak (more in mind but this is just representative,) and generally very sloppy.

Three years and they lose thier shit, no longer being "connected" to the hive and queen, and they lash out violently at everything around them - the start of an aberrant. From here the problems have become permanent and the only cure is to put them down or try to herd them into the enemy, where they may still die in service to the hive.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »

Damn =/

Would this still allow for the Queen's death to make a misery wave affect the fort? Like, could the script has its activation trigger the Queen's death? If so, at least THAT incentive to keep her alive would remain.

Or was this what you were actually talking about? They way I read it I understood this limitation was referring to the "lack of Queen for a number of years makes the wasps go crazy".

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »

This sounds like it's starting to go the way of warlocks and thier issues keeping skeletons under control.

Could just have some kind of self-targeting debuff interactions afflict a unit who goes too long without contact with the queen in some fashion. Contact with the queen prevents these interactions from firing so to speak.

Example, if possible: A few months stuck alone - spatial and kinesthetic senses get all wonky via interaction (they become clumsier at fighting and thier work becomes sloppier,) a year or so alone and agility and strength suffer (representative of them becoming somewhat hopeless without the queen's reassuring and encouraging buzz in thier head,) two years and they suffer total physical attribute drain across the board, becoming slow, weak (more in mind but this is just representative,) and generally very sloppy.

Three years and they lose thier shit, no longer being "connected" to the hive and queen, and they lash out violently at everything around them - the start of an aberrant. From here the problems have become permanent and the only cure is to put them down or try to herd them into the enemy, where they may still die in service to the hive.
that will work better than the misery script, yeah. and would show in game how aberrants and praetorians are made. but i'll raise the time from a few months to half a year, otherwise it might affect waspen siege forces as well.

Damn =/

Would this still allow for the Queen's death to make a misery wave affect the fort? Like, could the script has its activation trigger the Queen's death? If so, at least THAT incentive to keep her alive would remain.

well, it could be done by making the queen drop a syndrome stone as a corpse, but i think autosyndrome needs a unit nearby to activate it.

Or was this what you were actually talking about? They way I read it I understood this limitation was referring to the "lack of Queen for a number of years makes the wasps go crazy".

wasps going crazy will work out fine, actually

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 31, 2014, 04:58:51 pm »

Splint's idea sounds great, would be quite interesting too.

I was wondering, what's left to do before you guys call for an Alpha release? There's the consequences of the Queen dying, deciding if the Queen will be made automatically or not, and... what else?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 31, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »

the graphics, the rest of the reproduction system, bugfixing and balancing (though i'm not sure if balancing and bugfixing falls within alpha or beta release). aside from that... well, unless someone points out some gross error or has a good idea, not very much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 31, 2014, 05:08:25 pm »

Damn =/

EVen without misery, no queen = slow death of the hive, as its members start trying to kill everything in sight after a while. Praetorians and soldiers could probably be more drastically affected (shorter time to murderfrenzy, what with them being born to protect the queen, to fight and to kill after all.) But regardless you have incentive to keep the queen alive to avoid this slow destruction and keep resources available to uplift another worker to the role in case of her untimely demise.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »

ok, i think i done it. here are the CDIs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here are the interactions

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i'm currently at the "omg, why is nothing working?" phase of the implementation...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:27:22 pm by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 01, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »

figured out why it isn't working for you. In the CDI's you have  [CDI:INTERACTION:WASP_CRAZYNESS] in the interaction file you have [INTERACTION:WASP_CRAZYNESS1]

EDIT:Also what errors are you experiencing? You can't test opposed to life in the arena, nothing changes the factions. I would recommend giving the syndromes syndrome names instead so you can see whether or not the syndrome itself is working. Also it seems like you made it so that the wasps immediately use the opposed to life interaction. meaning that the moment they spawn they become crazy. Wait period controls the cooldown not the amount of time you need to wait before you can perform the interaction. If you want to do that, give them an interaction that gives a syndrome that eventually allows them to use the craziness interaction. More like this
Spoiler: CDI (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: interaction (click to show/hide)

What this above does is that the wasp starts out with the ability to do the interaction WASP_CRAZYNESS1. After 10000 ticks it uses WASP_CRAZYNESS2 which makes it opposed to life. Tweak the numbers to your liking. You can also keep stacking them on top of each-other and add other effects on it as well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:20:23 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 77