Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92661 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #780 on: November 25, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

sure. apart from that, i don't think we're missing something else, do we?

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 27, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »

still testing the maggots. here's the current situation:

in the beginning, they could only dent a human's skin. obviously this was bad, so i raised their strength and skill so they could at least penetrate. the syndrome is still too potent, i've got a lot more work to do on that one.

now they can reliably penetrate everything they're supposed to bite. but there is another problem: the transformation syndrome may or may not be overpowered if used on a battle. all it takes is one bite and the foe not only eventually dies, but you also gain a free member.

we should give maggots a really short life span to make it impossible (or forbiddingly impractical) to gather them in large numbers

by the way, as it is now maggots are immortal and i found an INTELLIGENT tag on one of them.

a)how long do you think maggots should live?
b) is it true that when using spawn unit the creature spawned is always 15 years old? i've noticed it on spawned sentients, but is it always the case? if so, i must adapt the lifespans accordingly. it will also solve the bug of wasps dying from old age when transformed.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »

A year old maybe

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 27, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »

one year sounds fine. maybe two, but it's not necessary.

EDIT: ok, i think i calculated the bleeding syndrome right. an elf sized creature should always survive, a wolf should sometimes survive and a gnome should die most of the times. further tweaking may be necessary, but for the time being it will do.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:42:00 pm by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 28, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »

in the beginning, they could only dent a human's skin. obviously this was bad, so i raised their strength and skill so they could at least penetrate. the syndrome is still too potent, i've got a lot more work to do on that one.
That is very strange, when i did my tests they could penetrate human skin perfectly fine. Are you sure your new tooth material that is supposed to be stronger against frostgiants wasn't actually too weak. Also I made my larva teeth out of lamellar leather, it was the closest I could find to organic iron. (I was too lazy to create my own material). Don't raise strength and skill, just make the material stronger.

but there is another problem: the transformation syndrome may or may not be overpowered if used on a battle. all it takes is one bite and the foe not only eventually dies, but you also gain a free member.
What happens is that at the current moment, it should take months for a victim to hatch, it also usually takes 2 larvae to get off a single bite on a conscious humanoid, also when a larva bites the victim the victim gains a single use interaction that kills the larva that bit it, so although yes you would be able to oneshot anything it bit (either very quickly if it's too small or after many months if it's large enough) it is usually not worth it since you only gain 8 larva per year.

But now that I'm thinking of the forgotten beasts, I realize that i still haven't nerfed the larva's dodging yet, just decrease agility like you increased strength.
we should give maggots a really short life span to make it impossible (or forbiddingly impractical) to gather them in large numbers
I thought I did, I remember adding maxxage:1:2 at some point but now looking at my raws I can't seem to find it at all. Must have removed it by accident

by the way, as it is now maggots are immortal and i found an INTELLIGENT tag on one of them.
I at one point wanting to test the maggots I made them playable as a civ. Please remove it now, thanks for catching that artifact.

a)how long do you think maggots should live?
b) is it true that when using spawn unit the creature spawned is always 15 years old? i've noticed it on spawned sentients, but is it always the case? if so, i must adapt the lifespans accordingly. it will also solve the bug of wasps dying from old age when transformed.
a) well I think one or 2 years
b) They will be spawned as the minimum age required for adulthood, so that means they should spawn as one year olds since you have CHILD:1

Than also I realized something, I forgot to tell you to delete all of my old reproduction files, they are a bit outdated, have a few bugs, are not meant to be merged with the new raws. It might be responsible for some of the bugs you are encountering.

As in the ones from this post (click on the link)
just search the raws to find the text referencing them and delete them.

Also there is currently no incentive to sacrifice a drone to create workers, since drones can perform labours just as well as workers, the only thing there is so far at the current moment is that making workers has a small chance of creating a soldier instead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:28:51 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »

ok, i think i calculated the bleeding syndrome right. an elf sized creature should always survive, a wolf should sometimes survive and a gnome should die most of the times. further tweaking may be necessary, but for the time being it will do.

Did you try making the syndrome LOCALIZED yet?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 28, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »

That is very strange, when i did my tests they could penetrate human skin perfectly fine. Are you sure your new tooth material that is supposed to be stronger against frostgiants wasn't actually too weak. Also I made my larva teeth out of lamellar leather, it was the closest I could find to organic iron. (I was too lazy to create my own material). Don't raise strength and skill, just make the material stronger.

eh, works the same. they are way too small to cause a serious injury anyway.

What happens is that at the current moment, it should take months for a victim to hatch, it also usually takes 2 larvae to get off a single bite on a conscious humanoid, also when a larva bites the victim the victim gains a single use interaction that kills the larva that bit it, so although yes you would be able to oneshot anything it bit (either very quickly if it's too small or after many months if it's large enough) it is usually not worth it since you only gain 8 larva per year.

ok, and now with the proper maxage (just so you know, it's 17, not 2. spawn unit always spawns a unit that is 15 y/o)

But now that I'm thinking of the forgotten beasts, I realize that i still haven't nerfed the larva's dodging yet, just decrease agility like you increased strength.

sure

b) They will be spawned as the minimum age required for adulthood, so that means they should spawn as one year olds since you have CHILD:1

i spawned many 15 y/o creatures (among which a kobold), so i'm not quite sure.

Than also I realized something, I forgot to tell you to delete all of my old reproduction files, they are a bit outdated, have a few bugs, are not meant to be merged with the new raws. It might be responsible for some of the bugs you are encountering.

i think i removed them. or at least, do not use them anymore. if i remember correcty, i overwritten some of them even. but i'll check again and if i find something not working properly, i'll fix them. thanks for providing a link to the post.

Also there is currently no incentive to sacrifice a drone to create workers, since drones can perform labours just as well as workers, the only thing there is so far at the current moment is that making workers has a small chance of creating a soldier instead.

yeah, you're right. maybe we can make drones only have a 40% chance of dying. and lower skills, so you'll really need the workers.

Did you try making the syndrome LOCALIZED yet?

no, but i adjusted it so it doesn't kill everything. a wolf still has a good chance of dying, but it's supposed to be the smallest victim possible, so i think it is acceptable.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 28, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »

Anyways did some testing, and gave the larvae age limits, i spawned the larvae directly though. When I spawned them they were spawned as 15 years old but they didn't die of old age. maybe I needed to wait a year and then they would die?

Ah well doesn't matter since the maxxage stuff only concerns larvae which you already solved

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 28, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »

some further testing with the frost giants (and with a new, pimped and perfectly tear worthy tooth material) reveals that frost giants are, in fact, immune to the syndrome. i say let's leave it like that. they are frost giants, after all. like huge humanoids made out of steel hard ice with water flowing in their veins. the White Walkers of the masterwork world. not getting infected by a maggot... yeah, i can see that happening.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:46:50 pm by than402 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:53 pm »

sure. I was just thinking about all of the humanoid giants that I needed to make possible to turn into a praetorian and frost giants were humanoid giants so I began working on that.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 28, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »

sure. I was just thinking about all of the humanoid giants that I needed to make possible to turn into a praetorian and frost giants were humanoid giants so I began working on that.

i tested it with a forest giant. here's the thing (which might also be the case with the frost giant): the giant did not do the reaction. the wasp never got transformed to a succesful wasp and the giant transformed to a praetorian in an unusually short amount of time. i don't know why, but i'm gonna find out.

so, apart from that, the only things left for the raws are
1) dealing with the wasps dying soon after being transformed. you said you'd deal with it, right heydude?
2) cleaning up the raws. there are many artifact reactions, classes et cetera left and if we are to maintain the race, we need to know which part of the raws does what.

EDIT: ok, i found out what went wrong. in the giant's variant of the reaction, the LARVA_PENETRATION was missing and the timer for the transformation was at 1004 rather than 72004. it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:52:53 pm by than402 »

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 03, 2014, 06:49:41 am »

heydude, do QUEEN_EGG_LAYING 3-9 do anything or can i remove them?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also, i like your new avatar

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 03, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »

Nope, they do nothing now. They were an artifact from an earlier attempt.

Thanks for the compliment, it's the outpost liaison.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 03, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »

looks great. i'm almost finished with the raws, i only have that bug with new wasps dying too soon and some more artifacts to remove. i also updated our scripts. i'll be running one final check to fix any remaining bugs and that part is ready.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

I'm just curious, but what did you change about the scripts?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 77