Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 92794 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:14 pm »

hey guys i just want to give an update on the reproduction rewrite. :D

All of the larvae are done as well as their respective syndromes. The only things left to work on is the eggs(super easy), a method to spawn the eggs(needs dwarfhack),  making sure that the new adults are part of the civ(might need dwarfhack) and my hidden agenda(no need for dwarf hack, but will take a long time)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:35 am »

hey guys i just want to give an update on the reproduction rewrite. :D

All of the larvae are done as well as their respective syndromes. The only things left to work on is the eggs(super easy), a method to spawn the eggs(needs dwarfhack),  making sure that the new adults are part of the civ(might need dwarfhack) and my hidden agenda(no need for dwarf hack, but will take a long time)

hey, just a couple of tips in a hope to spare us from messing with scripts any more than necessary: i don't know if this will work, but try giving the queen an interaction that periodically emits a syndrome stone which activates the spawn-unit script. and if you end up producing the egg and just wait for the interactions to make them adults, don't worry: they are already considered a part of your civ.

OK, Bullets DO NOT SUCK once the slingers are trained up a bit. The very first target was an asp and all i could do is bruise the skin. Now, my 10 elite slingers have no problem taking down jaguars

so, i scratch that out, don't i? because i have a couple of loose ends to tie up concerning the slave podium and making the slaves rebel. just to be on the same page, however, which stat lines are you using? i buffed them twice, and maybe the second time i made them too powerful

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #257 on: October 01, 2014, 05:52:13 am »

i'm using wasps 30 as it was called when I downloaded it. thats the one when you buffed them once, then i complained.

SO
Moral of story: wooden bullets (I personally think that they need to be called stones, not bullets. should be called Shot when not rock. eg, wooden shot/diorite rock/lead shot and wooden sharp shot/diorite sharp rock/lead sarp shot) this SHOULD be possable. like graves, wooden casket/rock coffin/metal sarcophagus
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:50 am »

graves, chairs, doors and such are hardcoded, i don't know if it can be done.

i uploaded 2 more files after that, we're currently at 32. you should download it too, try and compare it with the previous ones and we'll see which one is the best.

making blunt/clay stones should be possible, but why do you believe wooden ones should be effective? wood is generally light (therefore horrible for blunt damage) and can't take a proper edge(therefore horrible for edged damage).

EDIT: i looked at the creature raws a bit, and i have a few ideas about the castes:

SOLDIERS: when i got the wasp raws, there was a 1 to 10 percentage of soldiers/ workers. i changed it to 1 to 2 in order to make early military easier. but now that we added powerful war beasts, i wonder if we could change it back to 1 to 10, make them gain an experience bonus to military skills and have an experience penalty in civilian skills. that way, waspen armies will be a mixture of elite soldier troops, war bugs and worker ranged levies. mighty if built and maintained carefully, and not too difficult to assemble.

WORKERS: workers should form the backbone of a colony: the only ones capable of unpenalized civilian labors, but small and fragile in close quarters.

DRONES: for now, the only special thing drones have is that they're male. after the reproduction overhaul, they will be reduced to disposable slackers, whose only responsibility will be to fertilize eggs to produce more useful hive members. and yes, i know this is not that far off from real life drones, but we're talking about a civilization here, not your typical wasp nest: why not make them have an actual role in waspen societies? for instance, they can have a small bonus in social skills. that way, you will want to keep a few as mayor/broker/psychiatrist and not just send them all to fertilizing duties.

QUEEN: just like the drones, the queen is just an egg producing factory as of now. if she's supposed to be such an important part of the colony, shouldn't she have more responsibilities and talents instead of just being the fertile female? i can't think of anyhting yet, just saying...

GENERAL: for flavor reasons, max age seems a bit too much. i would imagine most wasps to have a relatively short lifespan (40 to 50 years maximum) with the exception of the queen which should be much more long lived (maybe up to 500 years, it doesn't matter at all in fortress mode anyway). finally, i know i was the one to suggest it in the first place, but on hindsight NOEMOTIONS may be a bad idea: tantrum spirals are an integral part of the game, and that will remove a source of FUN, as well as any reason to seek and cultivate the wide variety of plants they have at their disposal, exotic brews, pets, et cetera.

anyway, tell me what you guys think about it
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:00:51 am by than402 »

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2014, 02:29:00 pm »

I know it's a cliche with these things but you could perhaps make the Queen larger and more physically powerful than other castes (which's actually true for many social wasps species, so, you know, it doesn't really goes against the civ's theme). I don't know if it is possible to create positive syndromes, but if it is, maybe you could also make the Queen expel a vapour or something from time to time that temporarily increases skill learning or physical attributes from nearby civ members (like she's giving a morale boost from being around).

I also agree with the idea of removing the NOEMOTION tag, for the same reasons you listed.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:26 pm »

I know it's a cliche with these things but you could perhaps make the Queen larger and more physically powerful than other castes (which's actually true for many social wasps species, so, you know, it doesn't really goes against the civ's theme). I don't know if it is possible to create positive syndromes, but if it is, maybe you could also make the Queen expel a vapour or something from time to time that temporarily increases skill learning or physical attributes from nearby civ members (like she's giving a morale boost from being around).

I also agree with the idea of removing the NOEMOTION tag, for the same reasons you listed.

the queen already is considerably larger. she also has a harder carapace. the vapor thing is a good idea. it is indeed perfectly possible to make syndromes with positive effects, and would actually make her more useful.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »

Personally for me, I always viewed the queen as a crutch in the early game and near useless in the lategame. She starts off with powerful attacks(yes she should be draftable in the military) and meteoric grade chitin (20% worse than steel), but due to her large size she can't wear armor, and maybe some civilian penalties as well. So her only use in the lategame when the fort is well established and self sufficient, would be producing eggs because she is rather useless in other labors

What do you guys think?

Also I think the drones are perfectly fine for doing civilian skills.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:05:00 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »

but due to her large size she can't wear armor
You cant do that, all members can always wear all armors you make.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2014, 03:05:18 pm »

but due to her large size she can't wear armor
You cant do that, all members can always wear all armors you make.

Ok thanks for telling us

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »

Honestly i dont know what exactly you guys are tinkering on atm, but if you have any questions or need any help, you can just write me a PM.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

Personally for me, I always viewed the queen as a crutch in the early game and near useless in the lategame. She starts off with powerful attacks(yes she should be draftable in the military) and meteoric grade chitin (20% worse than steel), but due to her large size she can't wear armor, and maybe some civilian penalties as well. So her only use in the lategame when the fort is well established and self sufficient, would be producing eggs because she is rather useless in other labors

What do you guys think?

Also I think the drones are perfectly fine for doing civilian skills.

well, you're not supposed to place the queen on the frontlines under normal circumstances, but we'll see how we penalize this when we design how queens are made

and it may be personal preference, but i believe that everything should have a use in late game. even stone clubs can be used as trade goods and cold casting is viable when you're low on fuel and need weapons and trading junk now.

but wasps also have a unique way of reproduction, so there's that. queen and drone stuff isn't really that important. i'm more concerned with differentiating workers/soldiers and modifying the aging.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

I know we already have the kobolds for the "live fast die young breed explosively" niche, but maybe the wasps could be somewhat like that too? Wasps are pretty short lived, in general, with workers generally living less than a month and queens generally a year.

Maybe it'd make playing them a huge ass challenge, but workers dying relatively fast (say, 2 to 3 years) would make a Queen absolutely indispensable, since otherwise your fort will just wither. The boost in the worker's civillian labor and the soldier's millitary skills could be increased to diminish the frustration of losing high-level civ members from age.

About differentiating workers from soldiers, maybe one of the soldier's pair of arms could end in large natural blades, slightly worse than steel, instead of hands. Flavor-wise, maybe they could also have different chitin colors or something. They could also be the only ones that enter in  martial trance during combat.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

I'd speak against this for a mlutitude of reasons, mainly FPS decrease from large amounts of citizens, high numbers of bad thoughts from death, coffins, burials and ghosts, as well as the issue with room assignements, uniform, labor and job assignements. It would lead to a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

Another point of view is the story: Wasps have a language, they have emotions, they have personalities and DF is build around stories. Every good community fort is about a story. If your main characters die all the time, you cannot build a story around it and/or build up emotional attachement to the character. (Except your name is George RR something)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »

My original idea about the drones was that they should be IDEAL to lead the military, because their size was 20% larger than the largest soldier (That's how i planned it, actual numbers were a bit off) and to breed.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:58 pm »

Hm, those are good points...

Maybe then have they live as long as kobolds? I dunno, the whole Queen thing seems pointless if you won't need to breed wasps with SOME frequency. The Queen would basically just be a big soldier that can also pop some babies out, but otherwise pretty useless, not fitting with the "protect the Queen" aspect touted as the "most important" one in the manual.

Is there a way to make one specific death weight more on everyone? 'Cause maybe you could make it so that everyone gets a MASSIVE happiness penalty if the Queen dies. Like, yeah they're all individuals with distinct personalities, but the Queen still has this constant presence in their brains that's really nice and soothing, and when that suddenly ceases everyone freaks out. Like, a wasp is ecstatic one moment and then WHAM, Queen dies, the wasp is now feeling very unhappy.

This would make safe-guarding the Queen REALLY important, since your fort could very well halt entirely if she dies.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:36:51 pm by Sagus »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77