Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A question of obsidian  (Read 2825 times)

yosomith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A question of obsidian
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:27:52 am »

I guess I'm a little ocd and would like my fort looking for a more uniformed color. It was bugging the hell out of me having these "rainbow" caves (this does not mean I want a flat color, I just like to choose where the color goes). I found a solution with obsidian. Now the question remains in how can I change the color of obsidian so it's not so "blue"? I'd like to see it a more black-grey type of color personally. I'm using the Masterwork - Ironhand graphics with the defaultPlus colors, the rest of the colors are fine, just the obsidian needs to change. I have tried changing the color values in the colors_defaultPlus.txt file but that doesn't seem to change anything beyond the color display in the menu. Changing the color scheme does change the color of obsidian but most still have it as a "blue" color.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question of obsidian
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:50:56 am »

Ok then, back for some basic raw editting:

Go to "Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects", and open "inorganic_mineral.txt" (obsidian is a stone type, right?).

On line 1451, you will fine the start of the [INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN], that stops at line 1477.
In there, you will find that two line contain "YES"+your choosen graphics ('MDF' by default)+"_GRAPHICS"
One of the line is 'TILE', and defines what the tile looks like in the graphics set, the other is DISPLAY_COLOR, and is basically the RGB color of the tile.

I hope these explanations are clear enough.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

yosomith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:10 am »

I does make sense yes up until I get to DISPLAY_COLOR.

Here is what I see in the file:
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[MELTING_POINT:13600]
[BOILING_POINT:16000]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian]YESMDF_GRAPHICS[DISPLAY_COLOR:1:0:0]
 ascii
 !NOASCII_GRAPHICS!DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
 !NOASCII_GRAPHICS!TILE:177]
 ironhand
 !NOIRONHAND_GRAPHICS!DISPLAY_COLOR:0:15:0]
 !NOIRONHAND_GRAPHICS!TILE:156]
 obsidian
 !NOOBSIDIAN_GRAPHICS!DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
 !NOOBSIDIAN_GRAPHICS!TILE:138]
 phoebus
 !NOPHOEBUS_GRAPHICS!TILE:176]
 !NOPHOEBUS_GRAPHICS!DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:0]
 mayday
 !NOMAYDAY_GRAPHICS!TILE:18]
 !NOMAYDAY_GRAPHICS!DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
 mdf
 YESMDF_GRAPHICS[TILE:241][LAVA]
[MAX_EDGE:20000]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[IS_STONE]
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]

Now I see there are two "YES" there, but for some reason it's not picking up the Ironhands? Not sure there, also I thought RGB were out of 255, that being the case these settings shouldn't produce the blue I'm seeing in game.

To make matters worse now when I tried to replace a backup of the colors_defaultPlus.txt it now decided it was ok to change the color, fun times. Well I'll get this working how I want it eventually I guess.

Thanks for your help so far.

Edit: Figured out if I change the color in the .txt, then change the color selector in the menu, load game, save, then change the color back again I get the updated colors from the .txt file. What an odd system.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:20:34 am by yosomith »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:39 am »

I think this wiki page is better than me at explaining colour codes:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Color
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

yosomith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:36 am »

That actually makes more sense now, thanks again for your help.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:14:15 pm »

Have you thought about using the brick oven? ;)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:00 am »

Its blue?  :o
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:43 am »

Its blue?  :o

To be fair what color you see is a bit subjective and he wrote it in quotes.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:01:36 am »

That being said, it's blue  8)

Like, objectively it is currently 1:0:0 by default in MDF
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:02:50 am by smakemupagus »

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:19 am »

It is basically untenably blue.  I switched it to black and made diorite blue instead.  The blue with the obsidian texture makes it really hard to see anything, I can't tell where walls are with that setup (even smoothed). The single dot look of diorite is workable...

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

I don't mess with obsidian - it doesn't seem very useful to me - but shouldn't it be black? =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

Yes, it is. I dimly remember changing the color at some point to make it darker... maybe I messed up, and instead of 0:1:0 its 1:0:0 now.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:09 pm »

I like the blue actually
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

I can't seem to figure this out.  In inorganic_mineral I change it to this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All I do is change the color to 0:1:0 instead of 1:0:0.  This is in a totally fresh world gen.  The odd thing is that rubble on the ground, obsidian cave floor, and rocks on the surface become the gray color, but natural walls stay a dark blue.  The dark blue walls with 0:1:0 also lose their graphic and are just blank.  If I change it back to 1:0:0 the rubble, cave floor, and rocks are back to being blue and the natural cave walls are still dark blue but get their graphic back.  I am using MDF graphics with ironhand walls. 

At first I tried changing the color in an already generated world but gave up.  Then I deleted all my generated world and edited the base raw in Dwarf Fortress - raw - object before generating a new world and tried changing the tilesets and color schemes to make the launcher read from the text again with no luck.  I still get gray rubble, cave floor, and surface rocks but the blue walls with no graphic.

Has anyone had any luck changing this?  What I can't figure out is why the cave walls are staying blue and losing their graphic.  Are they references somewhere else in a file that I'm missing?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 05:46:41 pm »

It's just that the new color you chose ([0:1:0]) is black foreground, blue background, and you're seeing the color that you chose. 

You probably want something more like 0:7:0 (black fore, grey back) or 0:7:1 (dark grey fore, grey back)
Pages: [1] 2