Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravers know all.  (Read 1937 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Engravers know all.
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:04 pm »

For three years now, I was searching for a vampire in my fortress, and always thought it to be my blacksmith named Catten Bomrekstelid, as she never claimed a room, never had feelings from sleeping drinking or eating.

But then while engraving a room for a mayor, I get a message saying that there was a masterwork engraving made.

I check the engraving and I see this:

Is it a bug that I should report? Because it seems that craftdwarves and engravers can just make a picture from any historical moment in the world.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Engravers know all.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:04:53 pm »

Plot Twist: The engraver is the vampire, and is framing the blacksmith!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

For three years now, I was searching for a vampire in my fortress, and always thought it to be my blacksmith named Catten Bomrekstelid, as she never claimed a room, never had feelings from sleeping drinking or eating.

But then while engraving a room for a mayor, I get a message saying that there was a masterwork engraving made.

I check the engraving and I see this:

Is it a bug that I should report? Because it seems that craftdwarves and engravers can just make a picture from any historical moment in the world.

The default setting when generating a map is that all history is visible, which means an engraver can create an engraving of any significant historical moment, including ones that out your vampire.

If you want to change this, you need to generate a world with advanced parameters and set "Reveal All Historical Events" to No.

An engraver MIGHT still be able to out a vampire if they kill somebody in your fort by engraving that event.  Not sure, though, never tried to actually make that happen.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »

They're probably reading/hearing history.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:00 pm »

I'm fairly certain that engravers are Dwarven historians. You'll notice that they have no books or other records, so they engrave their history. Apparently, yours are also spies.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »

I'm fairly certain that engravers are Dwarven historians. You'll notice that they have no books or other records, so they engrave their history. Apparently, yours are also spies.

I think it's that +50 bonus to bardic knowledge.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »

It's just one of the many weird things that happen because of dwarven telepathy/semiomniscience. Not really a bug, just an incompletion.

Vampires will assume a name upon coming to your fortress, but all historical records (Legends mode, engravings, images) will give their real name.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:16 pm »

Give the room with the engraving to the vampire and see if it affects their mood. Pictorial evidence of your crimes staring at you from the wall might have similar effects as an engraving of vermin you loathe. Or probably not (yet).

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »

Give the room with the engraving to the vampire and see if it affects their mood. Pictorial evidence of your crimes staring at you from the wall might have similar effects as an engraving of vermin you loathe. Or probably not (yet).

Vampires feeling guilty about their crimes? Naw. This isn't World of Darkness, this is the setting where they wear so many rings and crowns and earrings made from their victims' hair and bones that they can't even walk under the weight. They'd feel as bad as you would with a picture of a huge half-eaten dinner sandwich on the wall.

Well, maybe they would be worried about being recognized, but do the engravers themselves know for sure they're recording the truth of the past, and not just creating fine art with a vampire and so on? Does it qualify as evidence without a priori knowledge that it is in fact truth?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:42:38 pm by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:32 pm »

Gave the room to the mayor, and the *featherwood bed* rests on top of the evidence.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:08 am »

I know that reference!  I just recently discovered it.  And now that I look again, "Tacomagic" is on another forum as well...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »

I know that reference!  I just recently discovered it.  And now that I look again, "Tacomagic" is on another forum as well...

I am everywhere!

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »

...or at least in the same places I am.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:15 pm »

But does this really tell you anything? You know that a vampire drained someone. You now know the vampire's real name, but you still don't know the alias the vampire is using in your fort. It could well still be the blacksmith.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.