Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speech: On Fear of Loneliness  (Read 1153 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Speech: On Fear of Loneliness
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:57:50 pm »

Last night was a tough one for me, but I was taken by a macabre mood and wrote something out of the heart I tore out of myself. I'm due to give a short speech to my friends in two weeks anyway, so this kills two birds with one stone. I'd like to hear what you guys think of it. I've translated it to English from my native tongue, so you may notice a few oddities from that, but ignore them, please.

Spoiler: On Fear of Loneliness (click to show/hide)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Speech: On Fear of Loneliness
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:04:14 am »

That was beautifully written
Thank you

I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now with a recent event and I think this just helped me a bit

Thank you
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:16 pm »

Nicely made. I've suffered more than my share of loneliness; less about being alone (which is nice and quiet), but rather being around those that make me feel alone.

But yeah, nice work. I hope you didn't mind a little insight as to why I liked it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:01:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:07:22 am »

I did consider for a while whether to post this thread in Creative Projects or Life Advice, by the way, but considering I had something to show instead of to directly ask help for, I went with this one.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:33:07 pm »

Well put. Not only did I kinda need to hear that, but it also seems you're ready to take on any counter-pointing views/arguments that may come up if questioned (I've been bound to do that sometimes, myself), or it doesn't fully get through to someone, in a rather well-structured manner. I know myself to be pretty stubborn, and hard to convince; so this says plenty. Groups tend to have some that are like me at times that can put a damper on a good message, whether a compliment (or something said was meant to be a compliment, but was misinterpreted as otherwise) is given or not.

Considering it relevant either way (Creative Projects or Life Advice), doesn't really matter as much. If anything, it helped reinforce your statement. We aren't alone. I've just been biased by (enough rough) experience to think otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:39:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

Although I'm not much for sappy speeches (probably rooted in my own insecurities, please don't take this as judgment), I appreciate its positive message very much.
If you can hold this speech in front of your friends that is really awesome.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »

The cliché nightmares are based on one's deepest, primal fears - darkness, the unknown, pain, humiliation, and so on. My nightmares weren't like that. I wasn't afraid of the fire burning my possessions, but that I'd be without aid. I was not afraid of [name] getting angry at me in return and hurting me, but that he'd leave my life and I'd be left alone. I wasn't afraid of the soccer balls getting past me, but that my friends would not care about something I did, and I'd be alone with it. The boogeyman of my nightmares was loneliness, that I'd have to face the world alone, without anybody's love.
Dayum, I can relate. Powerful speech you got there, yo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.