Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The art of beating sense into your companions  (Read 1816 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
The art of beating sense into your companions
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »

It all started simply enough. While wandering out in the wilds, I encountered a dwarven prisoner who shot at me once and then started screaming for help. Nearby was an elven recruit, so I killed that one and then chased the sprinting dwarf. After some cajoling and small talk she was inclined to join me (I think the first time I tried, she immediately broke the agreement and resumed attacking me). I picked up the crossbow I'd taken off her, and gave it back. Job done, apparently.

Some time later I remembered I had a spare shield in my inventory, and gave her that. Upon checking to see whether she'd got both the crossbow and shield equipped, I noticed that both were crammed into her quiver. My previous experience with trying to swap companion equipment through trade was that it is a pain in the bum, so I cancelled her travelling agreement and then strangled her. In retrospect, I probably just could have taken the quiver while she was conscious.

Naturally this escalated the conflict right into No Quarter, but after enough non-lethal damage and a request to stop fighting, she did. During the combat, I also asked her about herself and talked about the weather. Dunno if that helped any. Then I asked her to join me, and she accepted and didn't attack me. I gave her the crossbow and the shield from out of the quiver, and she held them properly. Then I gave her the quiver with the bolts still in it, and she wore that. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found anything to attack, to see if she'll shoot instead of running in with fists or crossbow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: The art of beating sense into your companions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:53 pm »

DF2014: Everyone has schizophrenia.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:40:31 pm »

DF2014: Everyone has schizophrenia.

Word. I had a man of evil politely introduced himself after I had stuck a scimitar through his guts. This was also as he was preparing to try to kick me in the face.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:29:51 am »

I cut off each limb from a lord who spat at me, then, he greeted me like an equal. Even let me rule his place. Then, I rammed a rock through his head.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

NPC's act like they are in a Monty Python sketch. I brutally fought with a bandit, breaking limbs, choking, biting off facial features - the works - while his friend stood by and made small talk, sometimes remarking on the horror of it all.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

Okay, yep, she will fire at enemies.

It's nice to know that you can anger somebody to the point of wanting your death before your surrender and then make it better with a combination of chitchat and violence.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:44 am »

Okay, yep, she will fire at enemies.

It's nice to know that you can anger somebody to the point of wanting your death before your surrender and then make it better with a combination of chitchat and violence.

Stockholm syndrome is officially a feature now?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:52 am »

Strangly enough I had asked someone to be my hearthperson after I had taken over a site, they refused. After I had a fist fight with them they accepted when I asked again. Perhaps fear has a factor in their decisions?

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:31 am »

Let me see you grit those teeth!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)