Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What version is the best to start?  (Read 533 times)

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What version is the best to start?
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:11 pm »

First of all I want to say hi, I am new to this forum and to this game.

I know dwarf fortress for years but I always thought that it is very hard and it will take time to actually learn to play it. Now after those years I wanted to start playing that game because there is NO other game with the depth of DF.

So I started to watch tutorials and after searching I found someone that I can actually watch his tutorial without sleeping on my pc (it was an lp actually) his name is vanguardofvalor I learned many things about the game at least to get started

Anyway now I realise that the version he was playing was an old one and in the latest version many things have changed. So what version you recommend me to start playing DF?

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
Re: What version is the best to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

First of all I want to say hi, I am new to this forum and to this game.

I know dwarf fortress for years but I always thought that it is very hard and it will take time to actually learn to play it. Now after those years I wanted to start playing that game because there is NO other game with the depth of DF.

So I started to watch tutorials and after searching I found someone that I can actually watch his tutorial without sleeping on my pc (it was an lp actually) his name is vanguardofvalor I learned many things about the game at least to get started

Anyway now I realise that the version he was playing was an old one and in the latest version many things have changed. So what version you recommend me to start playing DF?
I recommend one of the starter packs: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation#Third-Party_Packages

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:40:49 pm »

The newest one. Your own experience is worth many times more than any tutorial. I trusted an up-to-date tutorial the first time I played DF, followed his "perfect fort" design, and failed miserably. Many tutorials wont have up to date info, especially for defence and fighting, which has heavily changed. Start out with the up to date version. I agree with the above, poster, use a starter pack.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:03:00 pm »

I use the starter pack, (I tried using is with stonesense overlay and it doesn't work but...whenever)

The reason I am watching tutorials is because...I just feel that I can't do anything in this game, the simplest task is just so hard to accomplish. Of course I am starting to understand a thing or two but still it is very very hard

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »

I'm still pretty new to the game as well.  I would play the latest version just because it has everything in it.

I recommend the Lazy Newb Pack.  It has a launcher, good controls on the launcher and had Therapist and Dwarf Hack as well.

Remember...Losing is FUN!

Plan to die a lot...but each time out try something new or do one thing different.

Dig your entrance.  Build a drawbridge for siege protection and hook it up to a lever somewhere (need a mechanics shop to make those).  (Architecture and masonry to build the bridge.)

Beyond that, get a farm up and running, a few small shop areas for a mason, carpenter and a craftsdwarf shop.  Build crafts to trade (get a Depot up and running).  That will take a while, probably to your first migrant wave.  But getting the bridge done is key to be able to ride out a siege.  Ask questions in the forum, search for info.  And when you die, start again and change what it is that killed you. 

I'm on my 40th fortress or so in about 2 months...lol.  Still learning a ton and still haven't figured out my military although I have gotten into armor and weapon production finally.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:32:30 pm »

I've been playing for four months as well, but I have had a lot of time for Dwarf Fortress, and am on roughly my two hundredth fort. The first forty, though... Those didn't last a year.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:27 am »

I'd just say the df wiki will be you 1st best friend.
if you're computer has internet co nnection (mine doe snt)
get the starter pack as right now updates to the main game
are frequent.and the ascii will be the final thing that melts your brain!!
I've been playing since January (6-8 hours a week grrrr damn ZJOB) and I've
had 1 fort go 10 years....

2nd best friend is this forum!!
Read it whenever you can! Your newbie question has already
been asked by me, or others, and answered and
discussed by MANY long term players/modders.

Don't have time to REALLY read the wiki or the
Forum!??
Just post your? ??? It'll get answered right eventually.

P.S Prepare for !!FUN!!

Goatmaan

P.P.S what's up with the newbs getting the "escaped lunatic " tag???
When I came to df I was a rational sane person!!!
I have NOT escaped the asylum, I have been drawn
slowly but surely INTO IT!!!

TOADY WHAT HAVE YOU WROUGHT? ??

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:19:22 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.