Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a Workable DF Polearm  (Read 1881 times)

_elf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a Workable DF Polearm
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:03:28 pm »

Trying to work on a minor pollaxe/pollhammer mod within vanilla's metrics. For those not sure what sort of thing that might be, this article is helpful.

Just to give a little background on the line of thinking when putting this together: I used vanilla's default large dagger contact area/penetration size numbers for any spike, and the default war hammer or mace numbers for the hammer face, and kept the velocity multiplier reasonable using the Flail's default of 2500 as the ceiling. Some penetration size drop for the pollhammer though. This is what I initial had:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like any polearm mod for DF , there are a few issues. Most people use PIKE as the weapon SKILL to ensure multigrasp, but this causes the AI to default to choosing edge attacks when wielding the weapon, even if there is a blunt option. Grimlocke's Realistic/Historical Weapons mod uses a workaround to configure a blunt attack as an edged attack with zero penetration size, so that the AI will choose that option and so the damage will appear to be blunt. Of course Grimlocke's mod was from v34, which did not have the nice pulping effect we have now.

This is the change I made after reading about Grimlocke's fix:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would love any input regarding polearm numbers I've got (too weak, too strong, etc.) and if the Grimlocke fix is pretty much the only available option to use when configuring weapon settings. Would be nice to have pulping, but the other features are more important (NPCs use two hands, NPCs use the "blunt" attack, etc). Any thoughts?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Workable DF Polearm
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:39:43 am »

I'm fairly sure you don't use the skill to determine handedness at all. That's what the TWO_HANDED tag is about: the size a creature must achieve before it can wave it around with just one hand.

Just make the thing SKILL:HAMMER and be done with it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Building a Workable DF Polearm
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:42:58 am »

I'm fairly sure you don't use the skill to determine handedness at all. That's what the TWO_HANDED tag is about: the size a creature must achieve before it can wave it around with just one hand.

Just make the thing SKILL:HAMMER and be done with it.
This.

Skill has nothing to do with how many hands you use for a weapon.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.