Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [solved] Bug during "Choose Fortress Location" screen  (Read 1208 times)

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[solved] Bug during "Choose Fortress Location" screen
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Hello everyone,

i got a strange bug at the embarkscreen. The right map ist showing the wrong signs (see screenshot attached).
Fresh install and choosing other Font Tilesets didnt work.
I played MDF 6 / 6.1 before and never got this bug. I also delete the folder under C:\Users\blackmeteora\AppData\Local but it is still appearing.
Can someone help me? Seems not causing any problems so far but im not sure if it will.
Sorry for my bad english  :)

http://imgur.com/1nEnEkD
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:56:03 am by blackmeteora »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bug during "Choose Fortress Location" screen
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:44:58 pm »

please, use imgur.com when you want to share images, making us download it seems just weird...

But I have to say that I have no idea how only a part of the "world" map can get screwed, this is really odd.
What version are you using?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »

Sorry for the download thing  ;)
I use the Version 6.1 but its the first time this bug occurs. Have searched for this problem half of the forum and didnt find anything like that  :(
When i scroll in its gone and when i scroll back its getting to the middle map as well. Seems like a invisible line and everything on the right will "converted".
Scroll in:   http://imgur.com/qi8Yq6A
Scroll out: http://imgur.com/V629fXH
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:00:47 pm by blackmeteora »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:24:45 pm »

I'm going to sound really stupid, I guess, but is it possible that there is a window behind it, and that it somehow have a side that just so happen to overlap with that "line"?
Or maybe it is related to where your mouse cursor was when scrolling?

I know scrolling has a few effects, but this kind of thing usually happen to the whole window, when using dfhack-added UI.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:56:21 pm »

The window you are talking about is the DF-Hack window. It is stacked always automatically with the DF window, cant be the problem because its not new or sth. After a fresh install i didnt scrolled at all and "the line" was already there. Dont think it is caused by the scrolling itself. Maybe the bug will be gone when i reinstall my whole system. Im playing know for some hours and the bug only appears in this screen so its ok for now. Just was curious abouot what causing it and if i have to expect crashes or sth.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:42 pm »

As a quick test to narrow thing down, I'd say to disable "item graphics" and to put the rendering method as "2D".
It should not solve anything in theory, but you never know how openGL acts sometimes.

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

You are right for the first part. Disabling "item graphics" and put rendering to 2D worked, no "line" anymore. But when i switch back its there again and i dont wanna play without the new item graphics  :)
Thanks for your help, have to go to sleep now. Good night!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

Yes, but that means we narrowed it down quite a bit.

For your next test, it would be to put the "standard" rendering again, but still without "item graphics".

I know I'm giving quite a few tests to do, and it takes time without any proof that I'm going to be able to help in any way, but if we can narrow it down to a specific thing, it will be easier to make an accurate repport to the correct place.

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:03:42 am »

Its ok, i really appreciate your help.
I will test it when i got home from work.

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:57 am »

Standard + Tileset disabled = no bug
Standard + Tileset enabled = bug occurs

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:47 am »

Without tileset, it's more like you can't notice if it's there or not, because it basically puts the ASCII output on the right part when it occur, so when everything is ASCII, it makes no difference.
Doesn't mean it's not there.

Standard + no 'Item Graphics' keeps the bug, I assume?

If it's like this, maybe an other tile set works?
There are three "Masterwork - " tileset that contains the whole graphics for certain, based on phoebus, obsidian or iron hand (default being the iron hand one).

After that, i'm afraid that I have no other idea to help narrow things down.

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 11:47:38 am »

Oh little mistake here:
Standard + Item Graphics disabled = no bug
Standard + Item Graphics enabled = bug occurs
I tried other tilesets before, it doesnt matter which tileset im using. But i have tested it again, set the tileset option to MW Obsidian and created a new world because savegames are unaffected from the change. The bug still occurs, only deactivating Item Graphics can "kill the bug".

Its causing no troubles after embarking so its ok. I think we can cancel the bugsearching for now.
Thanks for you help again!
Now i have to take care of these stupid giant langurs throwing excrements at my poor dwarves  ;)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »

I would like for Meph to confirm that, but I think that the Item graphics is mostly activating TWBT (text will be text), meaning that it's the place where you could/should submit a repport to.

Even if it doesn't seem to affect any other place, it would still be good to fix it, if someone has the skills to do so.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:17 am »

Item graphics is activating Twbt. Thats correct, currently there is no way to enable itemgraphics without TwbT, and no way to disable itemgraphics without disabling Twbt as well.

The bug you reported is also well known, it has been reported half a dozen times in the Twbt thread. Its nothing major. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blackmeteora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

Oh ok, i searched so many forum threads but didnt find this one :-)
Thanks all for your help!