Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

why doesn't stabbing penetrate?

(1/4) > >>

Pirate Bob:
Does anyone know why the penetration depth for the stabbing attacks of swords (and halberds) is less than the penetration of their slashing attacks?  This seems backwards, but I suspect either I don't understand what I am looking at or there is a good reason for it.

I'm not sure if this is strictly a "modding" question, but it seems like modders would be most likely to know the answer (or at least understand what I'm talking about).

scamtank:
If I'd have to think of a reason, it's could be a balance thing. Slashing attacks have a much harder time penetrating than the tiny contact areas of stabs, so if the wielder just happens to be a musclebound hulk that can make the most of it, he's earned the extra depth. The "Conan cleaving dudes asunder" effect.

More probably though it's just the weapon values being half-baked and not entirely thought out.

Pirate Bob:
This is kind of what I was thinking - Toady may have noticed that swords were piercing hearts/brains etc more often than he liked, and reduced the penetration to decrease this.  But I don't know why he wouldn't just reduce the velocity multiplier instead if he thought stabs were overpowered.  Maybe he wanted them to penetrate armor better, but not go right through people? 

GavJ:
Clearly DF swords are shaped like giant "T"s with the pointy parts at both of the two top ends.

StagnantSoul:
Like the Uruk-Hai swords?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version