Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: D&D 3.5E Campaign: Aperta Mundi: OOC Thread  (Read 13951 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
D&D 3.5E Campaign: Aperta Mundi: OOC Thread
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:04:18 pm »

APERTA MUNDI
What is this?
This is my silly idea for a D&D campaign, in which there is no campaign. My plan is to create a world in which the players can explore freely. There will still be stories, and quests, and the like, but none will be "the" story of the campaign. Kind of like Morrowind's early game, but with fewer dark elves.

This thread is for any kind of OOC discussion, banter, or questions. I will put up the IC thread once characters are completed.
The IC thread is here.

Non-specific Setting Introduction
There are going to be a few changes from a traditional D&D game.
The first is the technology level, which is about a thousand years less developed than most games.
Metal casting doesn't exist. Most forms of steel do not exist, either. This makes it very hard to create a solid sheet of strong metal without magic.
This means that for the overwhelming majority of people, plate armour doesn't exist. A very skilled blacksmith might be able to put together a breastplate, but those will be expensive, few, and far between.
Swords, too, are affected. It's very difficult to forge a sword much longer than a metre without proper equipment, and this means that greatswords, bastard swords, and any other kind of weird foreign sword is pretty much unheard of. Longswords are usually reserved for nobility. Spears, shortswords, and axes are the most commonly found weapons.

Arcane magic is very rare, but generally looked upon with indifference. Magic itself isn't uncommon - clergy in the Church of Pelor are fond of making elaborate displays and sometimes even doing something. Only a very small portion of the population possess any kind of innate magical ability (think sorcerers), and those with the dedication to teach themselves magic usually join the Church and become some kind of cleric or priest.
Druids are uncommon, and good luck surviving in the wilds long enough to find one.
Psionics are usually associated with elves, and elves are usually only found on the other side of the world.

To the players
All of the player-slots are full, so recruitment is now closed.

The campaign will start at level one in a human-populated area. Gnomes and halflings are not uncommon, but usually stick to edges of society. Dwarves rarely leave their mountains, elves look upon other races with contempt. Orcs (especially half-orcs), goblins, and similar races are the butt of many racist jokes, and generally reviled by society.
Your choice of race and class is completely up to you. Stats are to be assigned using the 28-point-buy system. I will collect your sheets (or rather, links to the sheets) here for reference.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Original OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:30:49 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: D&D "Open World" Campaign: Gathering Interest
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:34 pm »

Sure, why the hell not.

In.

Voting 3.5.

In fact, I'm such a super freak that I already had a sheet (sans backstory and items) built in anticipation of an upcoming game.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:13:23 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:21 pm »

You wasted a feat on martial weapon proficiency? My inner minmaxer is raging.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:44 pm »

Yes.

Tee hee.

I plan to take an actually decent array of spells, so I need something to prevent me from being pseudo-Batman. Wasting my first feat on Martial Weapon Proficiency was my plan.

It may have also had something to do with my character' image, but that's irrelevant.

Not to mention that when I play D&D, I play the character I want to at all costs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:37:46 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »

Post to Watch

I really don't mind the system.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »

PTW

Might want to play this, but might not be able to.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39:30 pm »

Why not?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:09:53 pm »

In. Sounds like a very intriguing concept. Excited to see where it goes!

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:38 pm »

ptw

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »

in. I call dibs on cleric
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »

Surely, why not?  If it's 3.5 I might play one of the NPC classes, just to screw with people.  Expert/Aristocrat ahoy!

Edit:  In fact... Carter McHenries is a travelling metalworker, a blacksmith and locksmith who knows a thing or two about alchemy as well.  He's a crafter, not a fighter, but he has a mighty fine sense for locks and mechanics, and given time and materials he can prepare the party for anything.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:02:19 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »

If it's 3.5, will you allow the Book of Vile Evil?  There's something dastardly in there that I might want to exploit use.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:10 pm »

If it's 3.5, will you allow the Book of Vile Evil?  There's something dastardly in there that I might want to exploit use.
I'm allowing all sourcebooks unless something becomes ridiculously OP or game-breaking, and then I'll disallow it. I'll probably regret this later, but whatever.

IN if there's still room and the time's good. I'll try to offer ideas, too if you want.
Plenty of room. You're the third person to give a definitive "IN" so far. Arcvasti would make four, but he seems unsure.

As for setting, the general flavour is dark ages Britain. Because it's not done much.
This means things like no gunpowder, big swords, or plate armour, because metal casting didn't exist at that point.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:46:49 pm by InsanityIncarnate »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »

IN [Will input sheet by this Saturday, probably earlier]

Out of curiousity, what format are we using? PBP, IIRC, Maptools or something else entirely?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:48:03 pm »

Probably PbP, unless people want something else.

Space for one more player. I'll grab some lunch and then make the proper thread and a proper introduction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11