Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 177258 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1815 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:31 pm »

(because nobody in their sane mind is gonna reject god when his son is around and constantly making it rain bread)
I'd... kinda' disagree with that. It would depend on if YWHW is still running around murdering huge swaths of the population while the bread is raining. It's perfectly sane to reject something that's giving you prosperity if it's also killing your firstborn and whatnot.

E: Or your enemy's children, really. The infanticide thing would really have to stop. Freakish cavalcade of war crimes, too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:43:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1816 on: October 29, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »

"Reject" in the sense of "disbelieve his existence", perhaps. But yeah. Lots of people think there's a god and want nothing to do with him.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:30 pm »

Clearly, Elijah was a stranded time traveler and the "water" was high-octane gasoline.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: October 29, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »

Clearly, Elijah was a stranded time traveler and the "water" was high-octane gasoline.
So that's what Doc Brown did with the petrol from the DeLorean...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: October 29, 2014, 07:59:25 pm »

Nah, he just used FOOF. That's how he got stones to burn.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: October 29, 2014, 08:01:04 pm »

(because nobody in their sane mind is gonna reject god when his son is around and constantly making it rain bread)
I'd... kinda' disagree with that. It would depend on if YWHW is still running around murdering huge swaths of the population while the bread is raining. It's perfectly sane to reject something that's giving you prosperity if it's also killing your firstborn and whatnot.

E: Or your enemy's children, really. The infanticide thing would really have to stop. Freakish cavalcade of war crimes, too.
Fair point, I have no idea how it went in the original russian and I don't remember the exact wording in the translation I read, so I don't know whether he meant what you said or what Orange Wizard did.
But it was heavily implied that it would be just JJ on his own giving out tons of bread, curing people and doing all those cool things. Ol' angry YHWH was barely even mentioned IIRC.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

Re. miracles all that stuff about cool stuff not happening anymore today: it reminds me of The Great Inquisitor, a chapter in Dostoevsky's the Brothers Karamazov. The chapter is so good(and long) it's even been published individually IIRC.
It's been ages since I read that so the details are a bit murky, but anyway, the whole chapter is a big trip with one of the characters having a chat with Satan. One of the things the devil says is that the interpretation for the temptations in the desert is that Jesus was given the chance to either make all the flashy things happen and thus rule mankind through the power of miracle, shackling everybody to its power(because nobody in their sane mind is gonna reject god when his son is around and constantly making it rain bread) or leave earth and let men have free will by having room for doubt. Spoiler: Jesus eventually chose the latter(He also dies. For a while.) and that's why we don't have all that crazy OT stuff anymore.

That makes about as much sense as the plot of Plan 9 From Outer Space. In fact, it's equivalent to part of that movie; there's a part in Plan 9 where, despite being covert and furtive through much of the movie, the alien nevertheless still gets pissed off that the people and governments of earth don't publicly acknowledge the existence of space aliens.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

Don't you dare diss Plan 9. It is a masterpiece whose existence proves that God moves in mysterious ways.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »

Found the verse with the crazy critter

Revelations 4:8

It's a critter with IIRC six wings and covered in eyes but it's only purpose is to speak Gods greatness basically
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:45 pm »

Yeah, Revelations had some weird things described as "living creatures". If I remember correctly, Daniel also had some of those in his visions. And Ezekiel MIGHT have had some, can't quite remember.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »

Found the verse with the crazy critter

Revelations 4:8
Yeah, for the further reference, for the lazy
Quote from: context
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings.

Honestly, a lot of revelations reads like a very heavy hallucinogen trip, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: October 29, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »

Yeah, Revelations had some weird things described as "living creatures". If I remember correctly, Daniel also had some of those in his visions. And Ezekiel MIGHT have had some, can't quite remember.

At least some of those creatures (mainly the Revelation ones) are not necessarily from Earth, though. Considering that God made the Universe (not getting into it now, but I do think that the Big Bang happened, given the evidence), he probably made other life elsewhere. Those ones would have been creatures who have already gone through life and are now with God. I don't remember the ones in Daniel, though - what are the verses for those?

And yes, Ezekiel has some interesting things. I haven't read about them in a while, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »

Remember: It's not "revelations" its The Revelation.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: October 29, 2014, 10:06:04 pm »

More accurately The Revelation To John. It's actually quite a controversial book, not just in interpretation (of which I know of at least 3 mutually exclusive interpretations), but whether or not it should be included in the Bible at all. It wasn't accepted into canon until the fifth century (despite being pretty well established to date to the late first century), many early Protestant sects rejected it, and some groups reject it entirely to this day.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:05 pm »

More accurately The Revelation To John.
Even more accurately: The Revelation of St. John the Divine.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 185