Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 175813 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1905 on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:58 am »

[Acting surprised and sad about it. I mean, who the fuck did he EXPECT to come out of his house?].
His mother-in-law, obviously.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 02, 2014, 04:29:19 am »

Also I love how he then goes on murdering 20 cities. Gogo Team YHWH!

More seriously, we did a lot of progress since those days. Nothing like the Bible to make you feel how far we've come.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 02, 2014, 04:33:35 am »

God "delivering them into his hands" is the equivalent of agreeing to the deal.

Even more damning is the fact that an omnipotent god would have known what was going to occur, and let events play out with zero interference. At any point during the chain of events "god" could have said no, or made him lose the battle, ensure that nobody left his house - so many things. Yet things were allowed to happen in a horrible, horrible manner. Pretty damning of a horrible narrative, frankly.

Anyway... in one of the groups I frequent related to atheism/rational scepticism, someone has postulated an interesting discussion point that might be worth throwing into the ring here, just so as I can inform myself with a wider range of responses. To those of you here that are religious - if your god commanded it, would you kill me? Can you justify why or why not?
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 02, 2014, 06:14:59 am »

Well, I'm not a believer, but these are two possible answers:
1) Yes, because if He told me to, there'd be a good reason.
2) No, if he tells me to kill for no reason, he's not _my_ God.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 02, 2014, 06:43:31 am »

1) So even though the Christian god commands not to kill, it would be o.k. if they commanded it? I have a hard time understanding that line of reasoning.

2) I understand that response, though as you say, it is the response of a non-believer, and I would be surprised if many faithful individuals would come to the same conclusion.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:49 am »

Killing is not forbidden in all context - Christian pacifism is a recent invention, probably one of the best examples of how new ideologies can piggy-back on existing ones. Remember, the original commandment was "Thou shalt not murder", and if there's a good reason for killing you - for example you being the next Hitler -, it wouldn't exactly be murder after all.
E: A believer's rewording of 2) would probably be "God wouldn't do that", but I believe my wording is more clear.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 02, 2014, 07:58:19 am »

you say that, even though IIRC the jews had to spend at least a day sacrificing animals and praying before they went to war, mainly because killing was a sin.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:42 am »

... can you point out the passages that say that? One of the oddities that struck me, personally (having been raised in an area where folks, especially kids, were generally told the mistranslation of the no-murder commandment), when I did do a quick search on the subject was that there weren't any blanket condemnations of killing. No mention, that I noticed, of it, as a general thing, being a sin. Murder, yes, but the difference between murder and killing have been noted repeatedly.

And there's a fair amount of, y'know, folks going out and getting their slaughter on with YWHW's blessing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 02, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »

Hmm. At the risk of delving into semantics then, is an implicit instruction from a god to kill not considered a murder? I mean, killing Hitler in cold blood would still be a murder, wouldn't it?
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: November 02, 2014, 02:31:26 pm »

Not if it was WWI and you were that one Canadian sniper who had him in his sights, for example. Murder generally refers to killing without justification.
The Bay12 postcard club

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: November 02, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »

Yeah, I suppose we can put acts of warfare as not "cold blooded".
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 02, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »

Not if it was WWI and you were that one Canadian sniper who had him in his sights, for example. Murder generally refers to killing without justification.
Isn't assassinating leaders considered to be in bad taste nowadays? Like how bombing monuments and using gas weapons is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: November 02, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »

Isn't assassinating leaders considered to be in bad taste nowadays? Like how bombing monuments and using gas weapons is.
Do note the Roman numeral behind the two w's. He was militarily useless in both wars, but in the first he did far less damage.
The Bay12 postcard club

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 02, 2014, 06:15:32 pm »

... can you point out the passages that say that? One of the oddities that struck me, personally (having been raised in an area where folks, especially kids, were generally told the mistranslation of the no-murder commandment), when I did do a quick search on the subject was that there weren't any blanket condemnations of killing. No mention, that I noticed, of it, as a general thing, being a sin. Murder, yes, but the difference between murder and killing have been noted repeatedly.

And there's a fair amount of, y'know, folks going out and getting their slaughter on with YWHW's blessing.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull a major BP and not cite my sources, mainly because this is a foggy recollection from a sunday school lesson from a while ago.

Anyway, that point is that by saying that "Killing" is not a sin, but "Murder" is, you're allowing a lot of wiggle room for stupid shit to happen. As far as I can tell, you generally are supposed to avoid murder unless absolutely necessary; however, if murder is necessary, it's not something to engage in willy nilly. Every death is a sin, and something to be meditated on and prayed for,  no matter the circumstance.

Of course the usual responses are A: The Jew's rather loose morality on the subject of murder (Again refer to the sacrificing thing) and B: God murdering people several times (The whole bear story comes to mind, where people read "young people" to mean a gang of menacing ten year olds rather than the gang of 20-ish thugs that is implied.)

Going into further detail would require an hour and a serious search through my bible, and I just got off work and do not feel like doing that right now. I might later if the demand is high.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: November 02, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »

I've never understood that mentality. Personally I believe that assassination should always be tried first before going to war.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 185