Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 177283 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1920 on: November 02, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »

Not if it was WWI and you were that one Canadian sniper who had him in his sights, for example. Murder generally refers to killing without justification.
Isn't assassinating leaders considered to be in bad taste nowadays? Like how bombing monuments and using gas weapons is.

I've never understood that mentality. Personally I believe that assassination should always be tried first before going to war.
Killing leaders rarely solves the issue at hand - wars aren't usually waged because of omnicidal maniacs, but because of political, economic, historic, or religious reasons. Killing a leader would usually just mean handing the job to the next guy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:59 pm »

Not if it was WWI and you were that one Canadian sniper who had him in his sights, for example. Murder generally refers to killing without justification.
Isn't assassinating leaders considered to be in bad taste nowadays? Like how bombing monuments and using gas weapons is.

I've never understood that mentality. Personally I believe that assassination should always be tried first before going to war.
Killing leaders rarely solves the issue at hand - wars aren't usually waged because of omnicidal maniacs, but because of political, economic, historic, or religious reasons. Killing a leader would usually just mean handing the job to the next guy.

Just rinse and repeat until its either direct democracy or you run out of people. :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:57 pm »

Just rinse and repeat until its either direct democracy or you run out of people. :P

Optimally you'd want to get a bunch of explosives and blow up a major government building while most of the top leaders are there. That's a plan that shouldn't be forgot.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:07 pm »

I remember there, likely in the OT, about how a man is unclean after taking a life in battle, and must sit away from the rest of the army for so long to cleanse himself and his soul.

... May have been in Solomon's stuff?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 02, 2014, 11:10:56 pm »

Looks like I missed a lot

Nothing bad happening here right? You guys being mature?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1925 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »

So, what's Bay12's take on fasting?

I'm not entirely certain what it's intended to achieve. One thing I've heard says it's because it's harder to be Christian when you're hungry (or otherwise deprived, like if you're giving up coffee), but it's already pretty hard to live in a totally Christ-like manner.

Thoughts?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 03, 2014, 03:03:24 pm »

Just clarifying, fasting as in giving up on somethig for a length of time and not starving yourself correct?

If so it's just kinda of a dedication thing, my church did it for one of the members
We prayed at every meal for them and decided that we should fast for that person as well so in this form it was kinda an extension to prayer

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 03, 2014, 03:05:14 pm »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 03, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »

No, Cryxis, fasting is quite literally not eating anything for a short period of time. It's fallen out of favor in the mainstream Christian denominations, but is still advocated by many writers and other Christian leaders. I don't know anyone who belongs to a church that practices it, but various writers have claimed that three or four days of fasting and prayer are spiritually illuminating.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »

Some of the churches in my area have a voluntary night-in and 24-hour fast.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:45 pm »

My (Catholic) high-school held a fast-athon for charity, you'd stay at the school overnight, 24 hours no food, only juice. Never did it because I was too lazy to collect pledges and like food too much.
From my understanding it's just a show of devotion, not much more than that.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »

Ok, wasn't sure since we used the same title for what we did

Ours wast fast on a worldly pleasure instead of food (ok I would say about a quarter of the church chose food related things).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1932 on: November 03, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

Lord Shonus, fasting can include giving up other things than food- Lent is the traditional example, where you give something up for forty days. Starving oneself is the most common form of fast though.

I think that with giving up something you like, you remember the reason you're fasting every time you want that thing, so for instance, my sister gave up sugar in her tea last Lent.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:17:39 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 03, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

Ok, wasn't sure since we used the same title for what we did

Ours wast fast on a worldly pleasure instead of food (ok I would say about a quarter of the church chose food related things).
Are you talking Lent now? Lent always functioned the same as new years resolutions, broken in the first week. Also, no meat on fridays, but fish doesn't count. Never did understand why fish didn't count as meat...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 03, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »

No it wasn't lent and a good 80% kept their fast for the whole (month?)

One of the church members had severe cancer so we all decided to pray and fast for her
We did several other things too but I forget

She didn't make it though :/
That was a rough time for the church
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 185