Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 177157 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #690 on: October 02, 2014, 12:09:25 am »

"kill" and "murder" are different yes? From what I've heard the KJB translated the hebrew wording to "kill" when it should be "murder". And war isn't murder, it's killing. So war is okay.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #691 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:55 am »

It's a fairly interesting discussion. In my eyes, killing is never okay. That doesn't mean it can't be justified (like self-defence, or protecting someone else) but as far as I'm concerned it should always be a last resort.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs
« Reply #692 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:53 am »

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." -Matthew 10:34
I've recently taken this passage to relate to the disagreement surrounding the topics of Christianity. You cannot bring good into the world without rocking it or creating controversy. Hence, " For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:33 am »

Yeah but then we made those swords into ploughshares or. Something something war into farming.

Dragons and basilisks? Swords to plowshares? The Bible sounds a lot like Magic the Gathering sometimes.

Maybe MTG is subliminal Biblical advertising. The back of the cards is supposed to look like an old book. Why not the oldest, bookiest book?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:37 am »

... more specifically, "thou shalt not kill" is... well, wrong. "Thou shalt not murder" is closer, but still not quite what the original said.

Young's Literal Translation renders it as "Thou dost not murder."
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #695 on: October 02, 2014, 04:43:50 am »

NIV is "you shall not murder", I think.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 02, 2014, 05:36:41 am »

I, personally, am a retired Catholic (long, probably boring story)
You should have went traveling.

So that you become a roamin' Catholic.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 02, 2014, 06:18:12 am »

I, personally, am a retired Catholic (long, probably boring story)
You should have went traveling.

So that you become a roamin' Catholic.

You have made my day, I tried really hard not to laugh out loud, but failed.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:58 am »

It's a fairly interesting discussion. In my eyes, killing is never okay. That doesn't mean it can't be justified (like self-defence, or protecting someone else) but as far as I'm concerned it should always be a last resort.
Yes killing should be a last resort
But that being said a warrior has few options nowadays when artillery shells are going off and bullets are flying by, it's a bit hard to just incampacitate the enemy
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:22 am »

Well, killing is never ok and killing as a last resort is two different things. I generally would never hurt a fly, if someone were to be an imminent threat to my children and the only option was their death, I would probably feel no guilt, and not regret the decision I would make at that point.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 02, 2014, 08:36:14 am »

And with self defence

If you get mugged but you know how to defend yourself, should you kill him or break him and call the cops or just let it happen and do nothing

IMO, if you should get assaulted then you should be allowed to defend yourself but if you can do it without killing the person and staying safe then that would be preferred
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:11 am »

'Course, the bible doesn't really say either way on the subject*, insofar as I'm aware. Maybe Christ wanted killing to be a last resort thing? Critter doesn't say, and YWHW definitely wouldn't agree with the sentiment. Common modern follower's ethics almost certainly diverge from the initial cult fellower's ethics on the subject, heh.

I'd probably wager something along those lines is why not much is said on the subject in the text itself -- the people of the day already had courses of actions that were "given" in regards to killing, so there wasn't much that needed to be put to scripture.

Fastforward two thousand years where murdering every male of a conquered nation, dividing their domestic animals in quarters (or whatever that line was), and keeping the remaining virgins isn't considered kosher and things are suddenly (for a given metric of sudden, considering it's been 2k years, ha) murky on the topic.

*Well, unless your nation has laws regarding appropriate response in such situations, anyway, which a fair number are pretty explicit regarding. Then laws of the land and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 02, 2014, 10:24:30 am »

And with self defence

If you get mugged but you know how to defend yourself, should you kill him or break him and call the cops or just let it happen and do nothing

IMO, if you should get assaulted then you should be allowed to defend yourself but if you can do it without killing the person and staying safe then that would be preferred
That is...
I am pretty sure definitely not at all the thing Jesus would say to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:51 am »

How about that whole "turn the other cheek" thing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 02, 2014, 10:50:43 am »

Wikipedia, maaan.

That wink fellow's interpretation is pretty interesting. Not so much non-resistence as Jesus advocating being a jackass in response to jackassery. Might be interesting to do some research and see how justified an interpretation it is...

I kinda' like the sense of escalation in the cloak bit. "Take my shirt, eh? Well, alright, time to flash a foo'. Cost of admission, one eyefull of my entire righteous splendor! It has more wrinkles than an elephant's arse, AND NOW I'M GOING TO SHARE!"

And now I can see a situation where "Naked Pelvic Thrusts For God" is actually a thing. I wonder how a mugger would actually react to that?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:54:22 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 185