Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 176861 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1830 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »

I'm going to say, on a slight tangent of universe stuffs, that I think the constant, never ending expansion of the universe with random stuff just popping up in the expanding stuff that I think in my own opinion that God didn't stop creating when he made the earth and everything before it. I think he just continued on and kept making random stuff just because he can

Kinda with the same logic of someone playing creative mode on minecraft
You might finish the main thing your were making but then you'll just continue making random stuff around that doesn't effect your main thing but you do the other stuff just for entertainment
(That's a bad analogy)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:09 pm »

I've heard some religious people theorize that, if God created other sentient species in the cosmos, like humankind, and gave each of them the choice to eat the apple[Or alien fruit equivalent]/gain knowledge of good and evil, then some of them wouldn't have been tempted and probably still live in [Somewhat ignorant]harmony. Which is sort of an interesting notion.

^Not sure how relevant this is. Just an interesting extrapolation from extraterrestrial life and God both existing[Neither of which is by any means certain.].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »

I've heard some religious people theorize that, if God created other sentient species in the cosmos, like humankind, and gave each of them the choice to eat the apple[Or alien fruit equivalent]/gain knowledge of good and evil, then some of them wouldn't have been tempted and probably still live in [Somewhat ignorant]harmony. Which is sort of an interesting notion.

^Not sure how relevant this is. Just an interesting extrapolation from extraterrestrial life and God both existing[Neither of which is by any means certain.].

I don't really fall on either side when it comes to if god made other life
If he did eh ok
If not eh ok

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1833 on: October 29, 2014, 11:30:03 pm »

There's no way to know, really, if God made other species in other galaxies or universes or whatever. Unless we actually find them, but that doesn't seem likely right now.
Personally, I don't think it matters. Exploring space is awesome, but finding life should hardly be our first concern.

More accurately The Revelation To John. It's actually quite a controversial book, not just in interpretation (of which I know of at least 3 mutually exclusive interpretations), but whether or not it should be included in the Bible at all. It wasn't accepted into canon until the fifth century (despite being pretty well established to date to the late first century), many early Protestant sects rejected it, and some groups reject it entirely to this day.
My church basically says "it's a book that doesn't really make sense, read it if you want, just be careful not to jump to conclusions".

I've never heard a sermon preached on Revelation. Not that there's a lack of material, it's just too weird.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58:59 pm »

Found the verse with the crazy critter

Revelations 4:8
Yeah, for the further reference, for the lazy
Quote from: context
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings.

Honestly, a lot of revelations reads like a very heavy hallucinogen trip, heh.

I was told these guys are a metaphor the four gospels. I forget the logic linking each gospel to each animal.

They really sound like angels, not animals. It's a clear reference to some of the angels Ezekiel saw: "As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle." The same amount of angels and the same faces, though the Ezekiel each have all of the faces and have some additional details besides that. I don't think Ezekiel's had eyes on their wings, but eyes on wings were common for OT angels.

I will say, whoever thought up all the crazy angels and heaven-things has a fucked up but brilliant imagination. Kudos to God or whoever.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:53 am »

I call them the hovering eyeball monsters. Holy holy holy, is the Lord Almighty! Who was, who is, and who will become!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: October 30, 2014, 07:04:08 am »

I call them the hovering eyeball monsters. Holy Holy Holy, is the Lord God Almighty! Who was and is and is to come
FTFY

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:29 am »

You know how some species of butterfly and moth have eyespots on their wings? Maybe it's like that, except with bird wings.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:27:45 am by smjjames »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:56 am »

But why would angels have them? The purpose of the eyespots on butterflies is, iirc, to make them look bigger to predators....

What preys on angels?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:42 am »

But why would angels have them? The purpose of the eyespots on butterflies is, iirc, to make them look bigger to predators....

What preys on angels?

Atheists.

Also, good pun there.
This is a blank sig.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:36 am »

What preys on angels?

The deep ones.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:32 am »

I looked it up. It's not to make them look bigger, but to make predators think they are poisonous because of the bright, conspicuous colours.

So why would angels want to appear toxic? :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: October 30, 2014, 08:21:32 am »

I looked it up. It's not to make them look bigger, but to make predators think they are poisonous because of the bright, conspicuous colours.

So why would angels want to appear toxic? :P

They aren't eye spots but they are actual eyes, the ones you look with

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:15 am »

Have you seen them to know?

If you're willing to take some parts of the Bible and interpret them your own way, which you do, then I think that changing "Eye wing angels" to "Eye-pattern-wing angels" is a fairly good place to start.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:10 am »

Have you seen them to know?

If you're willing to take some parts of the Bible and interpret them your own way, which you do, then I think that changing "Eye wing angels" to "Eye-pattern-wing angels" is a fairly good place to start.

You can interpret however you like
I interpret it as real eyes
but look at it however you want

edit: but don't come and ask us why you interpret it the way you do. If you're making your own interpretations I would hope you know why you interpret it as such.
(not trying to be mean or anything sorry if that comes out harsh)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:42:47 am by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 185