Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 175792 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1845 on: October 30, 2014, 08:47:22 am »

But why would angels have them? The purpose of the eyespots on butterflies is, iirc, to make them look bigger to predators....

What preys on angels?
I looked it up. It's not to make them look bigger, but to make predators think they are poisonous because of the bright, conspicuous colours.

So why would angels want to appear toxic? :P

They aren't eye spots but they are actual eyes, the ones you look with

It was just a random line of thought that popped up in my head, and yeah I thought to myself 'but what the heck would prey on angels?'.

Still though eye-wing angels or covered in eyes like Argus is into lovecraftian territory.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 30, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

I call them the hovering eyeball monsters. Holy holy holy, is the Lord Almighty! Who was, who is, and who will become!

Possibly Related: It actually is plausible that "Yog-Sothoth" is a corruption of "YHVH-Sabaoth"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 30, 2014, 02:31:43 pm »

I don't think that's actually plausible at all. Though I will add the fun fact that Lovecraft called his works the Yog-Sothoth Cycle. Cthulhu Mythos only came after his death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »

On the topic of angels, 2 Kings 19:35 states that an angel killed 185,000 Assyrians at once.  Maybe the eyes shoot lasers or something.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »

On the topic of angels, 2 Kings 19:35 states that an angel killed 185,000 Assyrians at once.  Maybe the eyes shoot lasers or something.
Could have been a thermonuclear blast lol  :P
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: October 30, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »

Could have been a thermonuclear blast lol  :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 30, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »

If I'm remembering my stories correctly, the angel killed them in a far more eldritch way. It showed up, unveiled itself, and all the Assyrians and their war animals just dropped dead with no fanfare or obvious signs of injury.

Secondary fun fact is that the Assyrian records claim to have won a crushing victory in that very same battle, and report no soul-sucking angels.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1852 on: October 30, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »

To be fair, the Assyrians aren't exactly going to admit to having their army completely annihilated when they're writing their history, though, are they?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:51 pm »

Neither would the Israelites ;)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1854 on: October 30, 2014, 11:30:25 pm »

:o
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:04 pm »

Also, which is more believable?

"Yeah, we won that battle, and routed them pretty handily."

or "Yeah, we won that battle, because A GIANT ANGEL FROM THE LORD ARRIVED AND KILLED EVERY SINGLE ENEMY SOLDIER IN A MOMENT!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:07 am »

Secondary fun fact is that the Assyrian records claim to have won a crushing victory in that very same battle, and report no soul-sucking angels.
There's an instance of the same thing happening between Ancient Egypt and the Hittites - it's a rather common occurence.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:43:18 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 31, 2014, 06:38:03 am »

To be fair, the Assyrians aren't exactly going to admit to having their army completely annihilated when they're writing their history, though, are they?
No, but I think they would probably partake in the art of bigging up your enemy.
"Yeah this soul sucking angel showed up and we still won."
Much more impressive.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 31, 2014, 06:56:22 am »

No, but I think they would probably partake in the art of bigging up your enemy.
Much more impressive.

But also much less believeable to the surrounding nations compared to it never happening in the first place
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:09 am »

Much more impressive.

And it's an admission that the enemies' god Does Stuff. So when your soldiers are losing, they won't think 'oh shit, our gods are useless, theirs are much better!'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 185