Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 6447 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 05:08:11 am »

Observer, wrestler or shield and weapons skills are currently the most important for combat by far. If you don't have a shield, you can stop enemy attacks as they do them by wrestling the part that's initiating the attack.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:35 am »

Edit: oop, wrong thread.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 03:02:23 pm »

How do you fight an enemy?
stats at start
Average survival time
usual death cause

Well, these are some of my tips and tricks:

Foreword: DF adventures are nasty and unforgiving in many levels and they currently rely a lot on fighting and braving your path across sites of interest, so I personally recommend grinding if you want to be a murderer, or avoid conflict as much as possible.

1. You can start as a peasant and invest your preciously scarce points on endurance, willpower and dodging. Everything else will come in its due time.

2. Search for a full set of leather armor if you start at a Hamlet or Hillock, and if you feel you've done enough of #3, set going to a bigger hub (Town, Fortress) as your first ingame goal; unless you start as an elf, then get some equipment ASAP in any non-elven site. As soon as you reach a town, search for adequate metal weapons and armor at the keep. Avoid copper as the plague, it's cumbersome as hell and you might not benefit that much from the sheer blunt force that adds to hammers and related weapons. When in generated dwarven fortresses, you might have to personally trade with a soldier, exchanging 'stolen' leather clothing for their metal weapons and armor.

3. Crossfit a while with small, non-butcherable animals (wrestling them with both hands and skip frames. Bruises are expected). In 2 calendar days or less you'll be stronger and healthier than a Demigod, and rarely you'll need more than that. There's also the throwing grind, which will help you gaining some spatial awareness and a few other traits, but 0.40.xx combat is now meaty on its own, so you just might have few troubles just relying with melee.

4. Reputation is now hard to earn, so try to find good companions and take care of them. That means waiting during an hour for them (press Z+w) after you cross a river, unless they're good swimmers; also try to keep them from being overwhelmed by enemies and outfit them with proper metal equipment. Boogeymen are now a royal pain in the ass, and possibly your only cause of death after all this will be thanks to them, so your companions' well being is crucial.

5. Sneak as much as you can, the skill itself raises slowly and it apparently does nothing for your stats, but it might help you in the long run. Being a legendary ambusher inside a dungeon, keep or somewhere darker and deeper does a lot for your survival.

6. Plan your travels accordingly, pay attention to the relative time/distance assumptions people make when you ask for a place ("it's a short walk to the east, it's a day travel to the sout, etc), and use that as a guide to get anywhere else. Use your waterskin only when you're crossing a desert or inside a huge cave, and while being anywhere else, only drink water from rivers and wells. Don't burden yourself with excess meat, you're not likely to consume it all in a lifetime, but always carry 5 or so food items.

7. Fingers, toes and small parts are easier to break, and thus easier to inflict severe shock or unconsciousness on humanoid foes. Hitting legs also works when fighting against large numbers, inmobilizing a few while killing the most dangerous ones. If things err on the awful side, try to dodge and run as much as possible. That way, there might be another day to fight back.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:25:22 pm »

4. Reputation is now hard to earn, so try to find good companions and take care of them. That means waiting during an hour for them (press Z+w) after you cross a river, unless they're good swimmers;
You don't need to do that. Get away from the river just enough to fast travel, and they should follow you. You can move one tile and then drop back into the close-up map if you want to see if it's been successful.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:04:48 pm »

-- The Ultimate Scrublord --

Basically full combat loadout.

What to do at start:
Find armor/shield(s) (raid some human keeps)
Wear armor (raid human keep bags/chests until you're fully covered in high quality iron/bronze gear)
Find some group of small animals (birds work wonderfully if you're an elf, although good luck getting armor), or a lonely horseshoe crab on the beach if you want to play it safe and want to wait extra long)
A+a+b+Enter+Enter+Enter (wrestle-grab a 1/2-3 of them)
Press CTRL-R
Mash . about 15 times
Press CTRL-S
"Wait"
CTRL-L+Enter
Mash CTRL-P for a while
???
Suddenly your Fighter/Armor user/Dodger skills have skyrocketed, and so has your strength/agility/endurance/toughness/willpower/focus/kinesthetic-/spatial sense.
Put on shield
repeat CTRL-P mashing

Suddenly you are completely ready to mess around in this buggy game where everything was inevitable and where there is no meaning to anything.

if there is meaning to the world then distribute some of the weapon/climber points into fighter/dodger/armour-/shield user, otherwise just leave them for additional stat gains from macro-grinding

do what you want cause a scrublord is free
you are a scrublord

estimated lifetime: until you get your head bashed in due to getting an arrow to the knee and blacking out due to vanilla being unbalanced as sin or dying to getting your head bashed in while you sleep
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:35:28 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »

Unless you're using a modded creature, or using candy equipment from a fortress, NEVER lower social awareness. In fact, it should be superior if you want to make it far.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »

When you have legendary+x armour user/dodger/shield user/fighter and high weapon skills, you hardly need anything more than your trusty self.
Sleep is of course always a problem, but you can always grab a meatbag or two along with you even at minimum social stats.

oh_no

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »

It doesn't matter how good of a weapon user, dodger, shield, and armor user, groups of crossbowmen and bowmen will put you down easily. This is what I mostly use companions for. Plus, when I have twenty plus enemies on me, I know something bad's going to happen.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »

You are really underestimating just how damn overpowered legendary+x armor-/dodger/shield user is along with really high stats.
If you want an example then test it out in the arena by first following the scrublord scheme and then pitting the legendary-in-all-defensive-skills scrublord against 10+ grand master archers.
they'll all be dead

oh_no

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »

I used lua, or something, I have a lot of third party things, to get my adventurer to be legendary in all defensive skills right out from the beginning. Cut down a lord who annoyed me. The quartet of crossbowmen nearby shot me dead in two turns, despite the full masterwork iron coverage I had on and my legendary skills. You seem to forget how op ranged combat is.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:15 pm »

I used lua, or something, I have a lot of third party things, to get my adventurer to be legendary in all defensive skills right out from the beginning. Cut down a lord who annoyed me. The quartet of crossbowmen nearby shot me dead in two turns, despite the full masterwork iron coverage I had on and my legendary skills. You seem to forget how op ranged combat is.

I understand that, currently, iron is rather useless against arrows of any kind, and you're better off with steel and higher stuff. Maybe you would like to repeat your test using gear made of that material.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »

I'm pretty new at adventuring, but I'm having better luck cutting necks than cutting heads.  It seems trivial to slash someone's neck and send it flying with a sword, even when they have a helmet that makes doing it to their head much harder.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:18 am »

Here's something fun I just found out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The three of them were bunched together on one tile nursing broken feet, so I decided to jump into them (I don't know why, it's not like they were going to stand up anyway). One died immediately from a skidded head, and further jump attempts yielded the results here.

The two of them bounced off the ground five more times between them before landing, but nothing was fatal. Oh well, time to do the Mario some more.
Against certain enemies, stunning them so they won't dodge and then jumping into them can be extremely effective.  Even moreso if there is a handy cliff to bump them off.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 06:42:05 am »

6. Plan your travels accordingly, pay attention to the relative time/distance assumptions people make when you ask for a place ("it's a short walk to the east, it's a day travel to the sout, etc), and use that as a guide to get anywhere else. Use your waterskin only when you're crossing a desert or inside a huge cave, and while being anywhere else, only drink water from rivers and wells. Don't burden yourself with excess meat, you're not likely to consume it all in a lifetime, but always carry 5 or so food items.

This may be peculiar to current version, I don't know how it was before, but I found out that I always can fill a waterskin from a pool created from that waterskin. So I drink one or two units of water, empty the waterskin, fill it up from the newly created pool (to three units of water).

This method also cleans water. My dwarf won't drink water from underwater lakes because it is laced with mud (unless he has maximum thirst, but then he can drink only once). But if he fills the waterskin with muddy water, then empties it onto floor, the water magically cleans itself. Now the waterskin can be filled with clean water. This seems to be analogue to cleaning by screw pump in fortress mode. But it is even more anti-logical.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:33 am »

Unless you guys are 100% into muh immurshun roleplayan then you do know that you can just grab some random bag and fill it with 100 (or was it 50) units of water, right?

As a side note then hunger is rather unthreatening compared to thirst due to worsening much slower (it hangs at yellow for several days), so you'll be fine as long as you keep at least some food to keep the worst of it at bay.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:27:41 am by Bloax »

oh_no
Pages: 1 [2] 3