Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 6437 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:24 am »

Unless you guys are 100% into muh immurshun roleplayan then you do know that you can just grab some random bag and fill it with 100 (or was it 50) units of water, right?

Even 6 units of water was slowing down my adventurer. And yes, water can be kept in a backpack, which apparently doesn't have a capacity limit (or it's humongous)  but it didn't help. He was a crossbowman who had to limit himself to maybe 10 bolts to be able to move at all.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 05:05:13 am »

Unless you guys are 100% into muh immurshun roleplayan then you do know that you can just grab some random bag and fill it with 100 (or was it 50) units of water, right?

Even 6 units of water was slowing down my adventurer. And yes, water can be kept in a backpack, which apparently doesn't have a capacity limit (or it's humongous)  but it didn't help. He was a crossbowman who had to limit himself to maybe 10 bolts to be able to move at all.
That would be a strength issue. agility lets you go faster while strength lets you carry more before being effected by weight
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:25 am »

That would be a strength issue. agility lets you go faster while strength lets you carry more before being effected by weight

Yes, after training strength and vampirisation he is able to carry anything. However, it took some time. He started with Above Average Strength (1350 exactly) which is way higher than most of my miners after 10 years in a fortress, yet he was as weak as a kitten. Figuratively speaking, kittens are of course much weaker, I wonder how they manage to drag these vermins around.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

My signature move is to attempt a stealth throat-slash or stab, weapon depending. This usually results in a bleed-out quite quickly.

Note I target the throat specifically, not the neck.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:13 am »

2. Search for a full set of leather armor if you start at a Hamlet or Hillock, and if you feel you've done enough of #3, set going to a bigger hub (Town, Fortress) as your first ingame goal; unless you start as an elf, then get some equipment ASAP in any non-elven site. As soon as you reach a town, search for adequate metal weapons and armor at the keep. Avoid copper as the plague, it's cumbersome as hell and you might not benefit that much from the sheer blunt force that adds to hammers and related weapons. When in generated dwarven fortresses, you might have to personally trade with a soldier, exchanging 'stolen' leather clothing for their metal weapons and armor.

As soon as I start a new adventurer, I trade with all the first people I meet. I always try to trade my socks, loincloth, and any other cloth for leather clothes, and trade in my copper dagger for a bronze or iron kitchen knife.

4. Reputation is now hard to earn, so try to find good companions and take care of them. That means waiting during an hour for them (press Z+w) after you cross a river, unless they're good swimmers; also try to keep them from being overwhelmed by enemies and outfit them with proper metal equipment. Boogeymen are now a royal pain in the ass, and possibly your only cause of death after all this will be thanks to them, so your companions' well being is crucial.

I'm not positive, but I think that companions from your hometown are less likely to get demoralized and run off or disappear, because you've known each other your entire life. If that's true, it means there's a benefit to starting in a town instead of a hamlet, because you have more potential companions with the "known your entire life" relationship. (Retiring in a different settlement changes it to your new hometown, which seems like a bug to me. So if you move from a hamlet to a town, retire, and unretire, you'll have "known entire life" for everyone in the town.)

You definitely don't have to wait an hour for them to catch up after you cross a river. I just swim or long-jump over the river, move out of sight, fast travel one tile away, stop fast travel and they've caught up to me. Sometimes they don't so I have to walk back to the river and try again.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:14 pm »

My average life lasts several weeks. I always start as a hero or peasant, demigod is super-easy mode. Armor is not a problem, human keeps have piles of it and no one seems to care when I take a few tons of it with me.
I'm still experimenting with the new combat system, but generally legs/feet first, then the hands, then a killing blow. Against most humanoids it's just leg -> killing blow.
My favorite weapon is the spear - it kills everything organic and not undead... well, maybe not as fast as an axe. But I'm always sure that if I hit, it's a serious wound.

I max shield > armor > weapon > wrestler. Mostly because my framerate is so low that grinding takes literal ages.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 07:35:29 pm »

Dwarven travel tip: If layout permits, trailing close to mountainous terrain when alone gives you the opportunity to sleep or continue night travel, away from bogeymen and most ambushes, if you trek into the mountains. This is unknown to most if not all elves.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »

This is unknown to most if not all elves.

And so it should be!
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

I find it unusual that people care about companions. I don't see any point in having companions after initial stage. Here's why:

1. Companions die automatically when too far away - maybe only when engaged in fighting, but it can be any fighting, like with keas or rats. I didn't actually find bodies, but they are listed as dead in agreements. It's very easy to lose them when travelling "manually" (i.e. not fast travel). Most of my companions left me this way.

2. They attack anything they don't like. Attacking random wildlife exacerbates the problem #1, but attacking others may lead to a cascade of unneeded violence. For example hired bandits may attack the travelling bandit from the same clan, even though they all remain loyal to the chieftain. And companions often attack the guys you asked to cease hostilities with. I find it easy to make someone stop fighting - unless this someone is one of my dumb companions.

3. They know nothing about tactics. Also I suspect them to be not too subtle when sneaking. And they are generally flimsy when it comes to combat.

Additionally they prevent boogeymen from attacking, and although I see that it may be desirable under certain situations I think the bogeymen are not enough annoying to compete with the companions themselves.

I think the companions are good only as a meatshield for a rookie.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

As far as avoiding Boogeymen, try sleeping in a tree. It's worked for me.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:53 pm »

Not for me, slept in a tree with 3 elfs with me (desperate times call for desperate measures) and got my head caved in by ten bogeyman after missing about a hundred times with my silver whip

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 08:37:30 am »

Not for me, slept in a tree with 3 elfs with me (desperate times call for desperate measures) and got my head caved in by ten bogeyman after missing about a hundred times with my silver whip

Try to reverse the fate with a iron pickaxe! My character is Dabbling Miner, and head shots are almost always "difficult", yet he kills bogeymen with first shot in 80% of cases (and gobbos and humans with in 90%, because they are generally less agile). I find it so boring that often I try different tactics for bogeymen.
Pages: 1 2 [3]