Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 6450 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Tactics
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:34:36 am »

How do you fight an enemy?
stats at start
Average survival time
usual death cause
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:56:15 am »

I normally die to numbers. I get novice in reader and swimmer, adequate dodger, skilled armour user, and pump the rest equally into the sword and hammer skills, then duel-wield an iron sword with either an iron pick or war hammer. I set one accurate bash/pick stab to the head, then a fast slash at whatever is the easiest hit. If the stab/bash doesn't kill, then I'll just slowly rip apart my enemy. If I'm fighting multiple opponents, I'll attack whoever's about to attack me, and whoever's targeting an ally, if no one's doing that, whoever just attacked me. I generally keep bronze and iron knives and spears in my bag for throwing before close combat. If there's space and time available, I'll jump back and put a 1X3 wall of campfires between me and the enemy, throwing anything I can until they're in striking distance. If an ally is down, I'll use a jump to get to them and kill whoever's attacking them, then kind of stay near them to defend them. Since I'm normally reliant on disabling an enemy fast, and using my companions as a shield, high numbers of enemies, like a giant dingo pack, are normally what end me. An eight year old dragon did me in one time when I had no shield.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:13:38 am »

I usually put about proficient into a weapon, proficient in shield, novice reader, proficient armour, and the the rest into throwing. then i find some poor animal and start grappling it.
I usually go with a sword (good for chopping off limbs) or a mace (preferred to hammers)
If using sword: either go for a straight-up beheading, or disable their weapon hand and fend them off until blood loss finishes them
if using mace: I go for breaking the easiest bones i can, then destroying their head.
if facing a dangerous enemy, i will usually (q) then wrestle their weapon off them, then "give it back" by throwing it

I usually live for about 2-3 days, although I had one go for several months (game time)
i only live such a short life because of me wanting to become a necro
when i die otherwise its because i underestimate the size of the thing i train wrestling on. that coyote was bigger than i thought
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:47 am »

I always start as a peasant:

Novice reader (for necromancy books)
Novice "axe or sword or whatever"
Novice observer (To anticapate and block/dodge attacks
Novice swimmer (So many rivers)
Novice armor (Start with armor and reduce speed penalty
Novice Shield (Important to block dragon fire)

usually die from someone with a whip chipping a bone or just one-shotting me

Anyone know a good way to get behind someone and attacking them? How do you even tell when they dont have an orientation arrow pointing where they are facing?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »

I don't bother starting with any weapon skill. I like to put the majority of my points into Dodge, Shield User, and Armour User. The reason I generally don't bother with weapon skill is because Adventure mode has such a variety of weapons that you might quickly find a weapon that's much better than what you started with but of a completely different type.

Movement speed is also nice to have, for positioning and overland travel. My current dwarf is dressed in full iron and carrying a golf bag of weaponry, but can still summon up the 3.x speed needed for a full-length jump.

Anyone know a good way to get behind someone and attacking them? How do you even tell when they dont have an orientation arrow pointing where they are facing?
Go into stealth and see where they're looking. Drop back out of stealth immediately if you want your full speed. If they're moving in a certain direction, then they'll be looking in that direction.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »

Movement speed is also nice to have, for positioning and overland travel. My current dwarf is dressed in full iron and carrying a golf bag of weaponry, but can still summon up the 3.x speed needed for a full-length jump.

What attributes do you alter to get such high speed from the start?

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »

As of late, I've been using peasant builds. It's more or less futile to try and diversify your points as a peasant, so I just pump it all into the axe-wielding stat.

Since I almost always get hit by any attack due to no points in dodging, my strategy is usually to close the distance between me and my enemy and hack at the limbs of my enemy quickly, so as to hopefully sever a nerve in either arm, causing the shield to drop (reducing likelihood of failed attacks) or the weapon to drop (reducing enemy lethality), or sever a nerve in one of the legs, causing the opponent to fall to the ground and giving me a speed advantage. I prefer a quick, "easy" strike that "doesn't quite connect" to a "tricky" strike to avoid the risk of crippling counter strikes.

I rarely survive the first fight I get into, but when I do, I take the armor and my lack of dodge skill becomes negligible. 2-3 days is the average survival time. Typically I rarely survive encounters against professional men-at-arms or bandits and I never win early on against someone with armor or a night creature.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 01:36:15 am »

You can't get that high right from the start. What I did was start with High Strength and Superior Agility, and then worked my stats. Sneaking raises Agility, so you just sneak everywhere for a while. Sprint as much as your body can handle, as well -- even with an elf, you can build enough Endurance to be able to Run 100% of the time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:53:05 am »

I always dump the useless stats like disease resistance and recuperation, then put most of my attribute points into strength and agility, maybe a little into endurance. As for skills, I put a point into reader and swimmer, then put most of the rest into dodge, shield user, and armor user.

Once I start, I usually wrestle animals until I hit legendary, which doesn't take long. I wrestle large animals like rhinoceroses when I can find them, so it doesn't feel as exploity. I sneak everywhere, too, since that's a very important skill.

As for combat tactics, against humanoids, I like to start by performing a joint lock on the enemy's weapon arm, then I break that arm to make them drop their weapon. For more dangerous creatures, I like to hit one of the legs or feet first, so I can run away if necessary. If you've got a speed advantage, keeping your distance and throwing things is a safe way to weaken the enemy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:56 am »

As for combat tactics, against humanoids, I like to start by performing a joint lock on the enemy's weapon arm, then I break that arm to make them drop their weapon.
I prefer grabbing the offending weapon and shield right off them. They can still use that hand for punching and grabbing, but those are much better attacks for me than a bite.

I wonder if Superior Recuperation would make a diffence in an adventurer's time scale? It seems the kind of stat where 'normal' doesn't make a difference, so you might as well drop it down to 'very poor' and snag a few points.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 07:58:50 am »

I wonder if Superior Recuperation would make a diffence in an adventurer's time scale? It seems the kind of stat where 'normal' doesn't make a difference, so you might as well drop it down to 'very poor' and snag a few points.

That's what I do. You'd have to be doing a hardcore no-fast-travel run for recuperation to make a difference, I think. I don't know offhand how long it takes for a wound to heal, but I imagine it's on the order of days, not hours.

MODcrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:16:11 am »

I try to make them eiter unconscious first or behead or destroy their brain right at the beginning.
That means, I mostly target head and neck.
I prefer halberds and great axes by the way, though those are heavily modded in my heavily modded mod. (So with different stats than vanillia)
stats:
Demigod with:
high strength
superior agility
high endurance
lowered recuperation + musicality + patience + creativity + analytical ability for little points
above averange willpower
above averange spathial sense
superior kinesthetic sense
above averange empathy
rest untouched
skill(displayed number, cannot remember names):
axeman: 11
fighter: 11
dodger: 11
reader: 6
swimmer: 7
observer: 6
climber: 6
survival:
If I really try i survive about 3 weeks if I am a coward or 3 days if I bravely enter danger, but usually I die earlier due to the
death cause:
jumping from trees out of boredom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 06:59:25 pm »

Here's something fun I just found out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The three of them were bunched together on one tile nursing broken feet, so I decided to jump into them (I don't know why, it's not like they were going to stand up anyway). One died immediately from a skidded head, and further jump attempts yielded the results here.

The two of them bounced off the ground five more times between them before landing, but nothing was fatal. Oh well, time to do the Mario some more.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »

I generally start using a sword and shield, but I occasionally use other weapons, such as a spear or hammer. I prefer the sword because it can slash, stab, and blunt (to some degree). I always start with some unarmed weapon skill and decent dodging in case I'm disarmed. I usually sneak up behind an enemy, stab them in either the upper or lower body (upper is preferable because it contains heart and lungs), then stab them another time, attempt a dismemberment, dodge away and jump into them, sending them flying! If they give in to pain, I generally strangle them. If disarmed, I like to start with punches and biting, escalating to kicking once I've wounded them. If they pass out, I gather my gear if possible, or wrestle them to death if not. With a real adventurer, I generally last a couple of days, but if I do something stupid I often don't make it past day one. Don't mess with undead. Ever.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 04:27:18 pm »

You can't get that high right from the start. What I did was start with High Strength and Superior Agility, and then worked my stats. Sneaking raises Agility, so you just sneak everywhere for a while. Sprint as much as your body can handle, as well -- even with an elf, you can build enough Endurance to be able to Run 100% of the time.

Ah, I was worried my dwarf was crippled, because he can't really carry too much without speed dropping to about 0.5 (maybe I should have started with demigod, but even above average strength and agility isn't enough, so doubt it would help). But if sneaking and sprinting can increase abilities related to speed then he should be OK after some time.
Pages: [1] 2 3