Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A tour of Eaglemansions  (Read 4805 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A tour of Eaglemansions
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:13 pm »

Hello!

During the last major version of dwarf fortress I did what I have often found difficult: I stuck with a single fort for a long time. I think about 25 years passed for the dwarves of Eaglemansions. Now that the new versions are out and quite stable, I'm starting to get ideas for a new fort. I decided to compile an album to commemorate Eaglemansions before I get rid of the save. It's by no means complete, but it's one of the largest forts I've ever managed, and I've grown very fond of it.

The fort was defended entirely with dwarves until the last year when I decided to install some weapon traps for variety. Cage traps were used only to capture Giant Keas and a handful of fleeing goblins. The fort's main exports are goblin corpses, gold cabinets, and masterful Giant Tortoise roasts.

The population of the fort is about 150, although the Queen has never shown herself. Eaglemansions now considers itself to be largely independent of the dwarven nation they originated from.

The album is here: http://imgur.com/a/RSGkN

I'd love to hear your feedback! :)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A tour of Eaglemansions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:01:40 pm »

I really like the aesthetic of your fort, why hasn't the queen shown up yet though?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »

That is an absolutely gorgeous fort. Makes me sad that my forts always turn into utilitarian, brutalist ugliness.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:11:21 pm »

CIRCLES! That's what I'm missing! Circles and diagonals!

Seriously, that fort looks amazing! I like to think that mine look relatively nice, but it's really not that great when it's just a bunch of boxes together.

That is an awesome fort, and you should be proud of it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:23 am »

Incredibly beautiful. It really looks like something dwarves might make. It's dwarven and dorfy.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:42:17 am »

I really like the aesthetic of your fort, why hasn't the queen shown up yet though?

I'm not really sure, to be honest. There's plenty of wealth and plenty of dwarves. Perhaps in a future fort I will have a ruler :).

Seriously, that fort looks amazing! I like to think that mine look relatively nice, but it's really not that great when it's just a bunch of boxes together.

That is an awesome fort, and you should be proud of it
Thank you very much! I always enjoy the architectural aspects of fort making, although sometimes it can paralyse me a bit while I try to decide how best to make a room or feature.
Circles are fun! They can be a pain to designate though :P.

That is an absolutely gorgeous fort. Makes me sad that my forts always turn into utilitarian, brutalist ugliness.
I try not to get too utilitarian with my forts. Sure it's faster to get things done, but my dwarves are never in a hurry.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:34:32 am »

this is just awesome

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:01:01 am »

That is awesome. Very well done.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:01:34 am »

DFHacks "digcircle" helps a lot in designing round walls. Nevertheless, a really beautiful fort there. Where is the main entrance?

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:09:45 am »

DAMN, that's awesome. My forts, while nice looking, are not nearly as cool! I need to start using DFhack to help my fort look cool.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:03 am »

Can you give us a guided tour of Eaglemansions? As in zoom in on each area and describe it? I can't really tell what everything is from that one picture.

Kartag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

This is, truly, a masterpiece in terms of architecture. How did you dispose of non-masterwork items? A lot of furniture pieces are masterworks here, so I assume there were a lot of not worthy enough pieces. And how high is your FPS? That much of flowing liquids must affect FPS severely.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 03:49:03 pm »

sir, its been some time since i've been on this site, but I had to log in once more and comment on this most majestic fort. I love your fortress. it is a testament to dwarven architecture and should shine for years as a jewel of the mountain homes!

I suggest leaving the save and not deleting it, this fort has significant history and should be kept for historical reasons!

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »

What tileset is this?

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

This shows me that, although I do create "pretty" rooms in my forts, my mastery of water and magma, and of overall fort mechanics, leave quite a bit to be desired :D

Great stuff!
Pages: [1] 2