Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can pets equip weapons?  (Read 1030 times)

fitzitz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can pets equip weapons?
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:09:29 am »

I was thinking about making a species of giants that could be used as pets. I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that they could equip weapons, and also how I would go about making their punches annihilate whatever body part they hit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:40:04 am by fitzitz »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Can pets equip weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

AFAIK pets cannot equip weapons. 

As for the punches, their size should help with that.  If you need a bit more oomph, change the velocity multiplier in their creature raws to make them hit faster.

fitzitz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »

Ok, thanks. Is possible to make their skin as tough as copper too?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:01:20 pm »

Yes...you could go the easy route and make thier skin literally copper...or mess with values in the raws to make it tough like that. Regardless you have to change the specific skin material. Check the bronze colossus raws for how to make the skin a metal or check the wiki for more details on skin materials

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:05:38 pm »

You can give them graspy parts and they will use any weapon they wrestle away from a hostile.  (say, making the mouth [grasp] and they wrestle a weapon or skirt)

With natural skill animals will spawn with a weapon (even if only to dorp it when they load, I believe).

Bit I dont think they will pick up and use a weapon willingly.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:25:04 am »

AFAIK, you cannot make pets equip weapons or armor.  You can have them wear clothing, but that's about it, and only embark/merchant pets will have the clothing equiped.  However, I do believe what pisskop said is true, if they have a grasp limb and wrestle away a weapon, they may use said weapon in combat, though it may be a bit buggy.

To make their attacks "annihilate" body parts, you can use the attack tags and force multiplier tags to accomplish that easily.

You could also mod body parts onto them that simulate a weapon, sort of a grafted weapon.  They could have a stone club body part for example, attached to the hand.  Make the body part out of inorganic:stone and give it an attack token in the creature raw.  It will make combat a bit weird, as they can potentially get hit in the "stone club", grasped by the "stone club", etc.

fitzitz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »

Great ideas, thanks!

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:35 pm »

As a side note, Pets can wield crossbows and quivers. Tamed creatures with the ambusher skill will hunt for you, and take what they need from your stockpile.
That and fishing are about the only useful things they can do.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:07:29 pm »

As a side note, Pets can wield crossbows and quivers. Tamed creatures with the ambusher skill will hunt for you, and take what they need from your stockpile.
That and fishing are about the only useful things they can do.
REALLY?
in 2014 only or in 34.11 as well?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »

It worked in 34.11. I see no reason why it wouldn't work in 2014.
That's why if you tame Gremlins, they eventually become Gremlin Hunters, because they naturally have Ambusher Skill.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*