Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes a metal good for blunt damage?  (Read 810 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
What makes a metal good for blunt damage?
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »

I'm finally in the mood for modding again, and today I'm working on armour and metals. I want to make a refined bronze of sorts, involving mixing multiple bars of bronze, some ash, and flux together, to make a lesser amount of superior bronze. I want it to be heavy, not as sharp as steel, but sharper than bronze, but mostly, better than platinum for blunt weapons. What makes a metal good for blunt weapons?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a metal good for blunt damage?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »

Sheer density. Really!

The stuff that makes armor good against bludgeoning force (impact yield/fracture/strain) has no part in making a club hit better. They are only as good as the metal they're made from is heavy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:13:59 pm by scamtank »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:26:04 pm »

That's not true at all.

Warhammers (size 400, recorded as 40 in the code) that have a material IMPACT_YIELD of 2499 or less will not be able to "defeat" even a layer weight of 1, due to rounding, and will always deflect. Likewise for bolts (size 150 => 15) and IMPACT_YIELD of 6666, provided the bolts can't cut the layer.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:15:01 am »

Oh, dang. Completely forgot about that check. I even described the effect in detail to someone just a while ago. Ah, well.

But even then, the impact yield is still just a binary "hits/deflects" gate that doesn't come up often with metallic clubs. The mass of the weapon alone is still what ultimately determines the damage.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:18:44 am »

So the metal being heavier than platinum alone would make it the best war hammer weapon?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:38:52 am »

That's the gist of it. As long as your impact yield/fracture values are in the same class as other metals (instead of, say, meat), the effect Putnam mentioned isn't going to be an issue.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:12 am »

Oh, okay. My thoughts are, this, with my other two modded metals, would make a roche-papier-scisso set up, with Burning Steel being the really great defensive , and light, Colossus Bronze (or whatever I rename it in the end) being a slow hammer dwarf metal, and some third metal filling in as the supreme cutter. All outweighed by the presence of candy, though, but beating out steel and iron readily, but requiring a lot of forging and burning and slaughtering.

IRIS_EYE_AZURE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »

Just a comment:

Density matters only because weapons are designated with a fixed volume. In the real world, this makes no sense:if you wanted a hammer that keeps its shape after repeated blows, you'd pick a reasonably tough material, then enlarge the hammer head until you could no longer swing it repeatedly. So I'd recommend you just make a "heavy hammer" with a larger size rather than to use an unrealistic, or worse, made-up high density material.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »

Well all the metals are alchemic in nature, so it's fine if they're not real.