Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..  (Read 4922 times)

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:12:58 pm »

~~~EDIT a few weeks later: Here is the playlist for the vids planned here.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4s5F8AmmswXLtdxDuo3NtFfCAaeR6qer

So I'm about to start recording a series of ut00b videos for masterwork and just posting about it here cuz if I do I'm more likely to actually follow through with it. Masterwork dwarf vids, the only twist being.. I won't be loading games save for sleep.. IE, die due to fun, start over. So likely I expect each for to only last a few videos or whatever, but I figure it will be an interesting challenge.

As per most of my videos that I've done in the past I like to have sort of at least one co-caster, if not two along with me, just so theres sort of conversation along with the videos as apposed to me just droning on and on by myself.

(Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwzHZhuy3mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCvWenQ8-M
etc etc.. more in the channel if you're curious of the content/sense of humor)

Instead of pooling on my usual friends that I make videos with I figured I'd toss a call out to here as most of them don't really play nearly as much DF as I do.. anyone interested? Time commitment would probably be like maybe 5-10 hours a week at least, (till we all get bored) but its FUN TIME more than work time really.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:33:32 am by ruxpin_exe »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »

You might want to toss in your planned record time (6-8 PM GMT, for example), to give an idea of when we should have free time to be able to actually do it.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:40:25 pm »

Oh thats actually a good idea.. I'm really open right now cuz I'm up north building a cottage with my pops.. but we mostly work in the day, so any work would likely be after 6pm EST.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:09:53 pm »

Might be interesting if you stream on Twitch as you go, too. Not only would it be live, but the chat could cause some amusement and interactivity.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 05:59:40 pm »

Sadly, my spoken english has a very bad accent (either the "french", an overdone one, or a mix of both), so it's not really viable for conversations on videos.

Sad, because it was my time zone too, but i'll look forward to watching the videos, at least.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:14:39 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfn_DoQwllU

Episode 01! Ive already recorded up to ep 04.. sorry the audio and rez are a little not great until ep 03, bare with me as I'm bad at computer.

Still looking for a co-caster or two! Let me know if you're interested.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6lkuhgS0w4  ep02 !
#3 should be up tomorrow when IMO things start to get not bad.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:22 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDLU-Kki5w  ep03! I'm prob gonna stop like.. bumping this all the time cuz everyone seems fairly uninterested.. but updates should come every day or two for those who are interested..

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »

Hey, I just haven't had the energy to watch. Nothing you did or didn't do :P
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:04 pm »

Hey, I just haven't had the energy to watch. Nothing you did or didn't do :P

how do you need energy to watch videos? ;__;  You just need a 2nd monitor. You can start with ep4 and watch how terrible I am at figuring out why hunters don't hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyk3--GNBKs

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:12 am »

All the civs and all the FD invaders!  looks like you'll have a good time.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:47 pm »

All the civs and all the FD invaders!  looks like you'll have a good time.

~~~~~~Hard mode brah~~~~~~~

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:35:35 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5pTzUFLBI&feature=youtu.be

Only really posting this one cuz I feel like you would all have pretty good ideas on this.
Children - hate em. Not worth the booze! Clever ways on killing them off?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:38:32 am »

Children - hate em. Not worth the booze! Clever ways on killing them off?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129773.0
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:35:01 pm »

Meph - I love DF for just the reasons you linked. It's so... devilish, yet hilarious to invent a mine-cart-baby-splatterer. I mean, who the hell thinks up these kinds of things?! :P

As for the video series, I can't watch at this moment, but I'll say safely - if you want people to watch (hard enough as is, due to DF's rather niche population compared to much larger games), is to make sure your game is unique, fun, and interesting (I.E. horribly unfair and brutal, lots of death and madness for you, and invaders alike). An example of 'hell' would be to embark on a undead, evil biome with many nasty critters (Nightmares, Giant Gargoyles, barghests, all the FUN critters), all sieges on max with 200+ civs (to ensure non-stop fights and carnage), then dig down at your 4 map corners, straight to hell (takes a good bit of work to do that part right :P), and all 3 caverns. This lets all 3 caverns+hell pour to the surface. And for added fun? Make sure the map has thralling clouds too.

Now that? That'd be fun to watch, if done without 'boring defense' (Walling in and using bridges to hide infinitely). I've done a map similar to this. Absolutely maddeningly ruthless, but the funnest fort I've ever done. Mind you, I lost it like fall year 1 due to my migrant wave happily spawning RIGHT inside a damn thralling cloud. I had my defenses designed to put down undead and keep them down - not expecting thralls yet... fun none the less!

As really, watching df for non-df players is boring. The visuals are 'alien' to them (and for the graphic kiddies, unappealing in all regard), and DF really isn't a 'fast, exciting game' - it's quiet for 90% usually, then 10% crazy-carnage-death-sock-beating-fun. Many people lack the patience to wait for that 10% as well. So you need to... encourage it, to keep things exciting as much as you can to have any real hope of viewers coming to watch.
Pages: [1] 2 3