Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..  (Read 4924 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 04:08:03 am »

I've come to like the little rascals well enough in Masterwork, since they grow up in 5 years instead of whatever it is in vanilla (12?), there's actually enough time to have generations in the fortress.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:52 pm »

It sort of looks like you are recording this DF game while driving a car in episode 6  :)

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 02:17:13 pm »

I've come to like the little rascals well enough in Masterwork, since they grow up in 5 years instead of whatever it is in vanilla (12?), there's actually enough time to have generations in the fortress.

It sort of looks like you are recording this DF game while driving a car in episode 6  :)

hah, I didn't even know that about MW kids. As IF my fort is gonna last 5 years tho. Unless I end up really cheesing shit hard I assume the first wave or two of invaders will make short work of me. We'll see.

And yeah I was totally in a car. Wasn't DRIVING it at the time, but I've made a few of these sitting out front of the laundrymat in town.. I'm wayyyyy up north building a cabin with my dad and the internet is basically dialup, so I drive into the local down cuz the laundrymat has free high speed wifi, and I record and upload there ;x

Moving back to the city Nov 1st. I want a co-caster for season 2 by then. I had a guy lined up but now hes in JAIL for the next 90 days? Go figure.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »

Children - hate em. Not worth the booze! Clever ways on killing them off?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129773.0

WELP this is totally happening. I like the idea that it takes awhile for them to die. Better than just magma dipping them or something.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »

Meph - I love DF for just the reasons you linked. It's so... devilish, yet hilarious to invent a mine-cart-baby-splatterer. I mean, who the hell thinks up these kinds of things?! :P

As for the video series, I can't watch at this moment, but I'll say safely - if you want people to watch (hard enough as is, due to DF's rather niche population compared to much larger games), is to make sure your game is unique, fun, and interesting (I.E. horribly unfair and brutal, lots of death and madness for you, and invaders alike). An example of 'hell' would be to embark on a undead, evil biome with many nasty critters (Nightmares, Giant Gargoyles, barghests, all the FUN critters), all sieges on max with 200+ civs (to ensure non-stop fights and carnage), then dig down at your 4 map corners, straight to hell (takes a good bit of work to do that part right :P), and all 3 caverns. This lets all 3 caverns+hell pour to the surface. And for added fun? Make sure the map has thralling clouds too.

Now that? That'd be fun to watch, if done without 'boring defense' (Walling in and using bridges to hide infinitely). I've done a map similar to this. Absolutely maddeningly ruthless, but the funnest fort I've ever done. Mind you, I lost it like fall year 1 due to my migrant wave happily spawning RIGHT inside a damn thralling cloud. I had my defenses designed to put down undead and keep them down - not expecting thralls yet... fun none the less!

As really, watching df for non-df players is boring. The visuals are 'alien' to them (and for the graphic kiddies, unappealing in all regard), and DF really isn't a 'fast, exciting game' - it's quiet for 90% usually, then 10% crazy-carnage-death-sock-beating-fun. Many people lack the patience to wait for that 10% as well. So you need to... encourage it, to keep things exciting as much as you can to have any real hope of viewers coming to watch.

yeah I would totally agree with most of this. I'm gonna entirely focus on decking out military as soon as possible and be willing to lose large amounts of troops to combat and just replace them with the next wave of migrants that comes in. Like I said tho, theres no loading of save games here or anything.. so realistically I imagine each season is only gonna last like 10 eps or something till wipe and then I start the next one in a new embark. I may do the next series with different races, but I don't have much experience with them.. however, that may add to the FUN factor, who knows.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »

I really had to resist making a "THE CRAZIEST DWARF FORT VID YOU WILL *EVER* SEE! You'll NEVER believe what happens!!" thread for this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKvfMOfFqs

(sorry) ;_;

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 12:55:52 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhMcQ-pXVZg

4:50 - Do langurs actually throw their own feces or wot? Does anyone actually know what they're launching at you?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 04:51:45 am »

4:50 - Do langurs actually throw their own feces or wot? Does anyone actually know what they're launching at you?

Yes. I burnt them along with half the map when I saw this, without regret.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 05:04:38 pm »

Yes. I burnt them along with half the map when I saw this, without regret.

Just out of curiosity, did you find this out for fact? Like did you edit a file and find like THROW=FECES somewhere or just assuming like me? Also has anyone ever actually seen a dwarf get hurt or even affected at all by these, or are they just in the game for comedy cramps?

Unrelated - Ep10 is up. Sorry I was drunk for this. I make my dwarves gangbang a bunch of wolverines with their bare hands tho, good times.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2A4HMasTDM

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »

Searching for: CREATURE:GRAY_LANGUR
F:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF V6\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\creature_temperate_new.txt(1222): [CREATURE:GRAY_LANGUR]
F:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF V6\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\creature_temperate_new.txt(1311): [CREATURE:GRAY_LANGUR_MAN]
Found 2 occurrence(s) in 1 file(s)

[CREATURE:GRAY_LANGUR]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:ALL_CREATURES][DESCRIPTION:A small monkey that can be found in forests and the streets of towns.]
   [NAME:gray langur:gray langurs:gray langur]
   [CASTE_NAME:gray langur:gray langurs:gray langur]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'l'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [NATURAL]
   [PETVALUE:50]
   waspet  [PET_EXOTIC]_exotic[CREATURE_CLASS:PET_HEALING]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:20]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100]10]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:30000:30000]-UBIQUITOUS-20:50]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10][LOOSE_CLUSTERS]
   [BIOME:ANY_DESERT][APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:CRAP_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Searching for: [CREATURE_VARIATION:CRAP_ATTACK]
F:\Games\DF\MasterworkDF V6\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\c_variation_masterwork.txt(2263): [CREATURE_VARIATION:CRAP_ATTACK]
Found 1 occurrence(s) in 1 file(s)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 05:31:42 pm »

It was posted on the forums, and I added it into the mod. I could probably raise the wait time on it a bit, but overall I like the idea. Makes people despise these langurs even more than they already do.  :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 04:48:29 pm »

hahahah [CREATURE_VARIATION:CRAP_ATTACK]
Good forum signature right there.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 08:26:10 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXq1AWNXQg4

WHAT SHOULD I DO!? Pretty sure I'm screwed. Do wolfmen knock down bridges? ;_;

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 11:07:15 pm »

2 vids in a day - CAN U BELIEVE

Either way, the oh so exciting conclusion to the werewolf attack.. RIP Ignoblecads? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlbN9CyABg

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 04:26:52 am »

You might want to post a link to the up-to-date playlist at the top of the first post, it might get you a bit more views.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
Pages: 1 [2] 3