Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..  (Read 4903 times)

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming series of masterwork videos with a hard mode twist..
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:57 am »

You might want to post a link to the up-to-date playlist at the top of the first post, it might get you a bit more views.

protip, thx

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 10:02:26 am »

The battle where the werewolf was punting creatures around your courtyard was fun :)  Was I imagining things or Turtles seemed to survive the high speed impacts with the wall better than dwarves?  Can we weaponize this?

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:37 pm »

The battle where the werewolf was punting creatures around your courtyard was fun :)  Was I imagining things or Turtles seemed to survive the high speed impacts with the wall better than dwarves?  Can we weaponize this?

"Can we weaponize this" is a question that needs to be asked more often/you sir are thinking in the right frame of mind.

Anyways heres ep 14, but if you skipped one I wouldnt blame you for this one, because not much happens other than I showcase people making fun of me my LP somethingawful thread for being terrible at 2:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9ajDU5X4k

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 07:04:48 pm »

Anyone have any idea what the HELL happens with the caravan here at around 16:40?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNXLC6OSJM&feature=youtu.be

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 03:17:58 am »

Anyone have any idea what the HELL happens with the caravan here at around 16:40?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNXLC6OSJM&feature=youtu.be
It's a rare bug that causes caravans to move very fast, something to do with their placement when they spawn.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:33 pm »

Does anyone know the differences in ranged weapons? Like what exactly is the differences between the javelin thrower vs a crossbow? I assume its a rate of fire/damage difference or something but I can't be sure and the masterwork wiki is sort of almost non existent ;_;

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

the dwarven jav thrower is 10 times the force of crossbow.  other stats below (find-in-files is your friend, when you want to learn things, or when you decide to go start working on the wiki ;) )

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ammo makes a big difference too; javelins are about 3x heavier, and the subtypes (piercing, broadhead, hammerhead) have varying characteristics of course.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:31:16 pm by smakemupagus »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »

Javelins are powerful, no question about it, but they shoot rather slowly (compared to the repeating crossbow), and have less ammo per stack, meaning that they are way lower when training skills, and each missed shot cost more in term of damage potential, time and ammo.

When your skills are legendary, javelins are pretty much a "pierce through anything", with the right ammo, making a small squad able to mass murder tough invaders.

Personally, I tend to still prefer the repeating crossbows, because that fire rate is insane, and with higher ammo grade (iron/steel, mostly), they are able to shred armies pretty convincingly too.

It's really a question of preference, I guess, between raw power and fire rate.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »

The "bladed" version of both is nice for self defense in close range too

By the way, the repeating crossbow has the same (10x) force as a *standard* javelin thrower, and the repeating jav has another factor of 3.5 (so it is 35x the level of the basic crossbow).  That's quite terrifying actually. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:11:08 pm by smakemupagus »

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

on the subject of archery...

I find very frequently that I will make a squad of archers, send them somewhere, and they always show up with either no bows or no arrows or whatever.

Yes I have an abundance of ranged weapons, and yes they have an abundance of the corresponding ammo.
I've heard that sometimes people run into this problem when they try and raise the amount of ammo they're carrying past the default amount, but I haven't done that.

Does anyone have some tips on this? How to make sure my archers always show up ready to throw down instead of ready to show up and just stand there in their pillbox looking like assholes?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:14 am »

* Have enough quivers?
* Enough ammo for both hunters and military?  Double check ammo screen.  I think ppls problem is often this, they think they have enough ammo but hunters have claimed it
* Don't set any types of ammo to training (T) only - C or C&T is fine.  Otherwise they don't know what to do if they're holding the "wrong" bolts
* Set up some archery targets - will encourage most of the squad to get their gear together and practice during down time
* Optional - Occassionally rotate a small fraction of the squad through active duty (training or patrol) to encourage the lazy ones to get their gear together
* Optional - don't use hunters in squad.  otherwise sometimes confusion if they're holding the "wrong" bow
* Never leave the default thing where they choose their own weapon.  Not good when soldiers in the same squad use different ammo types.

ruxpin_exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 04:42:20 pm »

What REALLY seemed to help here was a) them not being hunters and b) just keeping them active as opposed to just stationing somewhere when I needed them. now instead of 1/10 showing up with ammo its more like 8-9/10. Thx heaps.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:17 am »

Great glad it's working :)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2014, 02:10:25 am »

I tried to watch, honestly, but the constant low-level chiptunes and the picture-in-picture just... no. Couldn't deal. :(
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!
Pages: 1 2 [3]