Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: D&D 3.5E Campaign: Aperta Mundi: IC Thread  (Read 12358 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
D&D 3.5E Campaign: Aperta Mundi: IC Thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »

APERTA MUNDI
What is this?
This is my silly idea for a D&D campaign, in which there is no campaign. My plan is to create a world in which the players can explore freely. There will still be stories, and quests, and the like, but none will be "the" story of the campaign. Kind of like Morrowind's early game, but with fewer dark elves.

This is the IC thread, for in-game chat, declaring actions, and my DM updates. If you want to make an action in secret, you can PM it to me.
The OOC thread is here.

Character Sheets

Welcome to the Kingdom of Hibernia
Hibernia is a large nation, spanning broad plains and dense forests. It is bordered to the north by frozen tundra, to the east by tall mountains, and to the south and west by open ocean.
The Ogledd River flows from the north-east to the south-west, providing plentiful water for peasants and nobility alike.
On the south-west coast, where the Ogledd drains into the sea, stands the great city of Seals-ey. With over a million inhabitants, strong walls, and a powerful army, Seals-ey is both the nigh-unassailable throne of King Cadeyrn and seat of power for the Church of Pelor.
Lords ruling the castles and villages dotted across the land have sworn fealty to the King, despite his great age.

Of course, your story doesn't begin anywhere near there. It begins in the otherwise unremarkable village of Fearleah, gateway to one of the few passes into the dwarven nation in the east.
Today is an important day. Hibernia's relations with the dwarves have been deteriorating over the past decade. Trade is scarce, and travel between the countries for any other reason is almost unheard of. Except today, for the dwarves have sent an ambassador to Hibernia. And the High Priest himself is due to meet him.

With whatever motivation, your party of five has met on the road to Fearleah. Walking together, about ten minutes out of town, you have a chance to introduce yourselves. But that's entirely up to you.

On that note, what do you do?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:31:03 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5E Campaign: Aperta Mundi: IC Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:59 pm »

A rather enigmatic-looking fellow with long, silvery hair and a tall, pointed hat/hood walks on the edge of the group. He speaks in a scratchy voice.

"Good to meet you all. Name's Veneficus, and I'll be the obligatory travelling wizard today."

[talking sprite FTW]
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:54:31 pm »

Veneficus strokes his beard and chuckles a bit.

"Why, thank you, young man."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »

The one eyed orc looks down at his companions with what amounts to boredom in his eye "Hello. Beard is good? Yes." with a long pause as he thought of the word he absently grabbed one of his hammers and, with an absent minded ease, began twirling it by the claw. "We is travel yes? Go to good place yes?"
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »

Razed, noticing the conversation underway by the others, decided that this is as good an opportunity as any to introduce himself. He frowns somewhat at Wyrne's pronouncement of willingness to do anything for a price, but doesn't press it.

@@I am Razed, Paladin of the Forgotten Gods. What brings you all to this isolated road at such an auspicious time?@@

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:12:06 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:55:36 pm »

Shaking himself out of a thought, Mic darts to the front of the group and bows. When he comes out of the bow, he walks backwards, straightening his white jacket and pushing his white fedora out of his eyes.
"The name's Mic Ehal, Professional Miscreant, Entertainer and Ladies' Man.
Beards are nice. Walk into town with one, cut it off, and walk right on out. The ladies like 'em, too. Sometimes.
We'll have to see if its a good place, Hammer Man. I can call you that, right?
I'm on business. It's none of yours.
"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:12:02 am »

Malkor had been walking in silence, listening to his erstwhile companions. It was time to introduce himself. "Name's Malkor, priest for the Church of Pelor. I've been assigned by my church to watch the meeting between the High Priest and the ambassador."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

"High Priest? Is dwarf? Thought they be mad at lands... I will watch as well." Lanius said. It didn't really fall into his goals, but it could be interesting none-the-less.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:30 am »

"I'm merely on my way to learn more of your culture. You see, I am... not from around here."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:49:18 am by Tawarochir »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 11:43:27 am »

Malkor had been walking in silence, listening to his erstwhile companions. It was time to introduce himself. "Name's Malkor, priest for the Church of Pelor. I've been assigned by my church to watch the meeting between the High Priest and the ambassador."

@@Although my Order is somewhat less impressive then yours, this is my task as well. Several of my Patrons have a rather personal stake in the proceedings.@@

"I'm merely on my way to learn more of your culture. You see, I am... not from around here."

@@I can see that. I am honoured our culture has sufficient uniqueness to warrant a trip all the way from you homeland.@@
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:12:52 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:45:49 am »

Mic drifts back to walk next to Wyrne, and leans in to try and whisper into the human's ear.
"You ever robbed an ambassador before?"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:06:21 pm »

With everyone in fairly reasonable agreement, the party continues down the road, (presumably) chatting along the way. Before long, you reach the crest of a hill, at the bottom of which is nestled the village of Fearleah.

The village consists of two dozen or so buildings scattered haphazardly through the valley. Most of the buildings are small log huts, dug into the ground, and covered by soil. One building stands out. It's much larger than the others, fairly close the the village centre, and has a well out the front.
Around the well is gathered forty or so individuals dressed in peasant attire. Some carry miscellaneous farming equipment. They appear to be waiting for something.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:09:27 pm »

"What is happen? Why is crowd?"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 03:27:42 pm »

The crowd seems pretty excited, but not in a manner reminiscent of "holy crap priest is real angry with dwarf dude". If both or one of the High Priest and ambassador have arrived, it's not obvious where they are.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

"They call this a village? Why, back where I come from..."

Veneficus cuts himself off before he gives too much away. He speaks to his companions.

"Instead of just speculating about what these people are doing, why don't you just ask?"

He walks up to the nearest peasant, taps him or her on the shoulder, and asks,

"Hello there, [sir/ma'am]! Might I ask why this crowd is waiting here on this fine day?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8