Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Magma?  (Read 881 times)

AstralDusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Magma?
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »

My search-fu is suggesting that modifying magma is an impossibility, but the only hard answers I can find on the matter are a few years old. So I thought it'd be best to just throw the question out here. Is there any way at all to alter magma?

I'm really just looking to change the name and look of it for aesthetic reasons, so even if I can't fudge the mechanics, is there anything I can do to throw a pretty facade over it?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Magma?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »

Nope.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:05:54 pm »

My search-fu is suggesting that modifying magma is an impossibility, but the only hard answers I can find on the matter are a few years old. So I thought it'd be best to just throw the question out here. Is there any way at all to alter magma?

I'm really just looking to change the name and look of it for aesthetic reasons, so even if I can't fudge the mechanics, is there anything I can do to throw a pretty facade over it?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

Mostly no.  For the flavor text, you could get a little ways by using the Dwarf Fortress localization patcher found here, with the base template file for 0.40.10 here, then make changes like:

Code: [Select]
|The impertinent magma has defaced a |The oozing smooze has obliterated a |
|Magma Forge|Smooze Metal Reactor|
|Lava Mist|Smooze Cloud|
|Magma Mist|Smooze Cloud|

I've never tried this; I don't know how hard it would be.

You could change the color of every bright-red thing in the game by modifiying LRED in the data/init/colors.txt file.  E.g. change the color itself to purple.

Finally, by using DFHack, the Text Will Be Text plugin by Mifki, and some custom scripting, you might be able to change the color of magma dynamically, e.g. pulsing between green and purple.  Note that all other bright-red things and text would also pulse like that.

But mostly no.

AstralDusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »

Hmm, alright, thanks. It's not much, but that's more to work with than I feared, so much appreciated.