Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hall of Urist: all urist sightings in dwarf fortress  (Read 2859 times)

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
Hall of Urist: all urist sightings in dwarf fortress
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:20 am »

post the names of dwarves named urist in your fortresses here!

my urist is Urist Ropepeaceful. he is a mason. he is a crutch-walker because of a badger.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of Urist: all urist sightings in dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:26 pm »

I have had far too many to count and keep track of. It's a very common name, like monom, or tun or similar.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:23 pm »

I believe all names are equally common.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:02 pm »

I dunno. I can count the Urists I've had on my fingers, but there's always a Cish or a Bomrek in my forts. Catten, Feb, and Libash show up pretty frequently too, but not quite as often.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »

I also submit that Bomrek is a more common name than Urist. I've had a 100-strong fort with ten Bomreks (either first or last name or fragment of name). It got confusing when I was trying to find the Bomrek I actually wanted.

...It could be a factor of whether there was a famous Dorf of History who had that name. I seem to find that they will then name the kids after a hero Dorf, but that could be me noticing a name because I have seen it before, when there are plenty of other names I haven't seen before, thus I ignore them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:21 pm »

I've only had one that I can recall, and I think that game was deleted.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:22 pm »

I always get a ton of Bëmbuls and Ateshes. Urist a are surprisingly less common.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »

My Urist was named Urist. People called him Urist.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:46 am »

Is there a big red "!!SCIENCE!!" button that somebody should hit?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:57 am »

I think you just did, !!Six of Spades!!...

How do we !!research!! this thing?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:52:33 am »

Make a fort at the beginning of time, before any history is genned. Set it up nicely. Have only one military dwarf, or several with the same name. Ensure they are (a) legendary fighter(s), and get them tonnes and tonnes of (sentient, hostile) kills. Once that's done, ramp the childcap waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up, and take note of how many kids are named what.

As a control, do the same with a fort that uses traps or turtling as its only defence, making sure none of your dwarves ever get the opportunity to kill anything.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:30 am »

We could also do an amalgamation of population data. Check legends mode for historical dwarves, export the lists, and feed them into a spreadsheet. I don't know how to even begin automating such a thing though. I guess there's always good old-fashioned manual data entry.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

I find it amusing as to how we found a science project that doesn't involve magma.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 01:04:22 pm »

I find it amusing as to how we found a science project that doesn't involve magma.
i find it amusing i spawned !!science!! from a thread with a terrible idea. then again, this is the bay12 forums. we get off track quickly. like, i spawned a succession game from talking about boatmurdered.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Sigged
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs