Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: My first successioon game.  (Read 10700 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first successioon game.
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:10 am »

Hello everybody, come and join me in my first attempt of running a succession fort.

The mods information: I have pop cap set to 100:110 for my fps.
                              The game version is 0.40.13
                              I have added [TRAINABLE] to pigs so I may have my war pigs.
                              Pop cap is changed to 50 hard cap 52

The game plan:
While building the fort proper also work on your own private guild house that you may want to lock up at the end of your turn. The other players can't use your guild house or dwarfs inside it. The game will be faction-y this way although co-operation would be nice. Like no outright cave in-ing other people's stuff. Just try not to be a dick about anything mmmkay.
Due to dwarven politics guilds will be limited to five per fortress, these guilds are governed however the members choose to govern themselves.(First five guys get to be guild masters, you can join whatever guild you want so long as they will have you.Only join one guild please.)

You get one dwarf for just playing a turn to name after yourself if you want.
You get one dwarf for your personal guild supply every migrant wave you play through on your own turn. If migrants stop then you can take one baby dwarf from the communal dwarfs a year.
All births of your dwarfs are yours. All non guild dwarfs will be communal dwarfs.
To keep track of the dwarfs in you guild mark each of them with the name or profession name.
If you use a symbol other than your name please put it with your turn request post so we don't forget.

You don't have to guild if you don't want to.

The turn rules:
One week real life.
One year in game spring to spring.
First post first served.
If you lose all your dwarfs you can get more from the commie dwarfs whenever your turn rolls around again.

Sorry Bob but I'm ditching bob points because they just aren't catching on.
If you want to trade then just trade.

I guess the main goal is to have fun building stuff till we can't anymore. Oh and if you want to pretend like your a dwarf with the journal entries that's fine I think it's neat.

Give me suggestions to improve the fun.

Turn order:
zubb2 :played:   (Two  bob points)  +1one artifact
tonnot98 :played quit early mildly insane:  (zero bob points)  -1was late   
4maskwolf  :played kept "zubb zubb" from dying:   (five bob point) +1aquifer breach and +2two artifacts+4 artifacts +1made sure a guildmaster was healed
Prudent Viper   resigned due to having a life
pisskop played   (three bob point)   +1 watchtower +1 war bacon
King Murdoc skipped  (zero bob point)  -1 you missed your turn
Deus Asmoth  skipped computer issues (one bob point)
Timeless Bob your turn  (one bob point)
Highfive321   (one bob point)
zubb2 half played                                 
4maskwolf  busy skipped
timeless bob your turn repeat
Deus Asmoth dont open till christmas trying again
Pisskop repeat
BeardedShrimp
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:35:07 am by zubb2 »
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: My first successioon game.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:37 am »

I guess I'll play.

I'd prefer a place with flux stone and savagery, though.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:00 pm »

The guild thing is a nice idea, but it could become problematic very easily. I suppose the best way to do that would be through burrows, but making sure that each guild has access to the communal food stockpile.
May I suggest that you mark dwarves in your guild by a symbol, or with their profession name?
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

Thank you Prudent Viper for the dwarf marking idea, I had forgotten or not thought of that.
I'll put that on the first post.

Hopefully we can get four or five players and then agree on an embark.

I'm thinking this might take longer than I thought, but I have some time every day.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:48 am »

I'm in, I remember how frustrating it was in my first game when almost nobody joined.  Hopefully that won't happen to you :D

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

Yeah, I'm in too. You have a very interesting concept.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »

Looks interesting. I'll play if I have time.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »

I want a year.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:20 am »

Alright I think we have enough people to embark.
So I put up a picture of three embark points either vote on those or make a suggestion for somewhere else.

Uhhm, yeah we should be able to get this show on the road here soon.

EDIT:Also we need a fort name, so think about that too.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:38:45 am »

Are you okay with aquifers or ignoring them for a year?

Otherwise Id prefer untamed wilds on continent to an evil biome off continent.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »

I'd personally like an evil biome, but if that's not an option then I cast my vote for the Untamed Wilds embark.

A quick suggestion though. How about we limit the number of guilds (If everyone agrees)? If there's only a hundred dwarves, then that'll only really be enough for ten guilds. Any less than ten dwarves per guild will make it difficult to maintain/roleplay/become confusing.
I'm not saying to limit the number of players. Each guild could have multiple players associated with it.
It's your party, so it's your call. Just troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:28:52 pm by Prudent Viper »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »

Can I get a turn too? Getting groups of dwarves each following a different overseer sounds like a great way to start a civil war.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »

MMMkaay dudes we have a party of  seven overseerers its time to go strike the earth.
We got two-ish votes for the place up north and I'm not in the mood for an island of zed right now or volcanoes.
I'm gonna start my year either later tonight or tomorrow in the up north area with flux, no aquifer(if possible), and as many neighbors as possible because I like neighbors.

If anyone wants different say it quick, also I'm still waiting on a fort name suggestion if not I'll do that.

Can I get a turn too? Getting groups of dwarves each following a different overseer sounds like a great way to start a civil war.
The faction idea came from back when me and my friends would turn single player games into turn based games. If we stood around each other in total miner or minecraft one of us would end up dead. Did you know Xcom (the remake) is fun turnbased, we'd kill each other on that one too.

Aright enough off topic from me.

Let's have a good fort yall and not get too violent with each other.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »

One good way of marking dwarves for guilds is also sticking them in squads of the same name and requiring them to "sleep in a barracks at need".  If all other guild-members are required to go to their "guildhalls" and just train there during a Player's turn, then they're effectively taken out of play for any of the other professions. 

Players could bargain with other Players here on the forum for a guild member's skill - trading for an agreed upon item or use of guild members themselves in return, whereupon that guild member would be temporarily taken out of "training" mode by removing them from the squad and they can do their thing before being put back into "training" mode again by being placed back in the squad.

We'd need some dedicated farmers/brewers to take care of everyone's food needs, or we could make that the responsibility of each Player to support everyone on their turn and have the Player get an "forum trade point" for having extra food/drink stored at the end of their turn, but either way that should keep all the guilds-dwarves in their squads from going berzerk due to starvation bad thoughts.

If we do it this way, everyone could start out with 1 "forum trade point". 1 "point" buys a dwarf for your guild - On a Player's turn, any migrants with the same profession as your guild would automatically join your guild, adding a 1 "forum trade point" to your total, all the others are left to fetch/carry stuff and are given the "farmer/brewer" skills.  At the end of the turn, a Player sticks all of their guild-members in a squad (or squads) labeled "<profession name> guild" and makes them "sleep in barracks at need" and training all year long, before zipping up the save and passing it along.  Any increases in "forum trade points" are tracked by simply looking at the "z" menu and finding the number of dwarves in one profession or another, then adding the amount of points traded in the forum (a positive or negative number next to each Player's name in the turn list)

Ex:

3) Timeless Bob (-3)

So I've spent three of my points.  If my members are 12 rangers, that means I have 9 points to spend or trade with if I wish. Easy.

Here's the guilds as I see them:
Miners
Woodworkers
Stoneworkers
Rangers
Metalsmiths
Jewelers
Craftsdwarves
Fishery Workers
Engineers
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:41:32 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 06:50:47 pm »

I'm not sure if the engineers would work as a guild by themselves. They rely on the carpenters/metalsmiths/masons to actually build anything, so they'd be more a sub-faction that the carpenters, metalsmiths and masons try to win to their side, which makes for some amusing political drama.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11