Deity
- 0 (0%)
Urist
- 3 (42.9%)
Dobar
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Watchword [Spoilers] [Horror] [Creepypasta]  (Read 5046 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Watchword [Spoilers] [Horror] [Creepypasta]
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 11:51:26 pm »

Posting To Watch. The forum gives you a notification when threads you've posted in get new posts in them. I want to follow the thread and indicate my interest in it, but I didn't really have anything to say beyond that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Fey Moods]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 10:19:04 am »

Aha! Then enjoy good sir, for it shall continue tonight. :D
Currently: Writing Watchword.
Tips, criticism and appreciation (If you like it, lemme know!) should be posted in the thread, or PM'd to me.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »

---Watchword Chapter 5: An Assault Gone Poorly

I had some time, so I played more today. Honestly I didn't remember much of what I'd done build-wise, but that wasn't an excuse for what I found on the edge of the site, where I found Azri hanging instead of in his office like a good bookkeeper. Rather than sleep out in the rain, the trees were cut down in a small circumference- there was even a carpentry workshop, not far from it. Behind that was a half-built house. Not huge, but it had a desk, a dresser, a chair and a bed, and a roof. Oh, and a traction bench for whatever reason. I was pretty sure I hadn't ordered it, but hey- I was kind of drunk, and apparently I'd had the presence of mind to designate it as Azri's shack- the Overseer's office was no longer owned.

Really, it itself wasn't all that strange, and Azri was at least doing the bookkeeping- I had a general clue of how much my guys still had now. What was stranger was the fact I had apparently assigned Azri to every last job in the Therapist (and he'd actually gotten a few points in carpentry as a result).

The things you do while tipsy, I swear.

---

So a checklist- I got the pillars and statues set up in the catacombs and the place was looking suitably dwarfy, so it was worth it hand-selecting the walls to be dug into those fractal-esque shapes after all.
I got the trading depot set up, with a roof and a bunch of statues, after I widened out the entrance. Gonna build a cool skull over the entry, so that the depot is kind of sitting in the skull's mouth.
Place is door'd and furnished, mostly with granite, still haven't set people to engraving though they've been smoothing for a while.
Few more migrants, we're up to fifty dwarves and about ten of them are haulers (why keep bees when you've got fungus?).
Farms stopped working, so I buggered something up there- I might have accidentally forbidden some seeds. Dwarves won't go in the area, crops won't grow, its kind of odd. They built it, though, and it was working for a while.
I set Azri's shack up with a brewery and a cooking stand and designated some walls around them- honestly, I'm kind of liking the little lean-to, it has a rustic feel, even if it does resemble the block-houses in adventure mode. Funky thing is that Azri logged the wood and did it himself, rather than going into the stockpiles, and I'm pretty sure I de-selected his jobs in Therapist to what they were originally (nothing). When I went and looked, though, they'd turned back on so it might have been yet another bug.
All in all, things are going pretty well- the food issue isn't a problem, since I came with enough to last a few years.

---

Elven caravan.

Aside from the wood that had gone into the Overseer's Shack, I hadn't actually logged anything (alright, I tell a lie, some trees were cleared to make the skull entrance, but it was only five or so), so relations were bound to be good. They arrived uneventfully, started setting up shop at the depot and I ordered Azri down there to work on part two of operation Learn Trading. I'd recently read on a wiki that barrels and chests of stuff were 'easier' for traders to carry, and I'd had a few (read: about a hundred) gems cut by what was now my Legendary Glassmaker (and pretty good gemcutter) for when it happened.

Fastdwarf was off for good, now, since I'd gotten almost everything set up and there was no real reason to use it further- so I had time to do a little checking up on my bearded wonders.

Apparently there were a few injuries I hadn't noticed last night. Six dwarves had their skin listed as 'cut open' and their sternums 'gone' (wtf is a sternum), so I quickly paused and set up a hospital. They weren't bleeding on the floors, from what I could tell, and they were still working hard so maybe it wasn't as bad as it sounded. I wasn't sure how they'd gotten injured though, unless it was from the traps in the main hallway (which had been finished) or the training room I had set up for the budding military (after I'd looked up how to do it again, as I always forgot).

In comparison, Azri was still a wreck.

Azri 'The Overseer' Forgeworks has been unhappy lately.

He was startled by Goblins recently.

He was irritated by a goblin recently.

I haven't seen a goblin since I arrived here, maybe Azri had been scaring off thieves. Handy.

He was taunted recently.

By who? Dude's been in isolation.

He has complained about the lack of wells recently.

True, but I hope to breach the aquifer soon. I know you need water for dwarves in the hospital, so that's really the next step. Funny thing is that there wasn't actually that big an aquifer- its in the northeast corner of the map, and only one level deep- like 25 squares, total across.

He has felt watched recently.

Um?

He is not looking forward to the future.

This was a lot like 'doesn't want to be here'- it sounded needlessly worried, and I'm beginning to suspect Azri's got a screwed syndrome that just makes him sad or worried all the time. He still went out to the Depot, so there's that. He managed to reach just as the elven liason started heading towards him, and I got the usual screen the elves pop up over their trees.

"What a pleasant surprise! Not a single tree here weeps from the abuses meted out with such ease by your people. Joy! The dwarves have turned a page, not that we would make paper. A travesty! Perhaps it is better said that the dwarves have turned over a new leaf, and the springtime for our two races has only just begun. I must say I was worried of the rumors before now!"

It was kinda nice to read, actually, I'd never seen it before- but I didn't get very long to trade at all, and instead of letting me finish the deal they let me look for about six minutes before I was abruptly kicked out of the screen and I was told the elves started packing up. Azri was heading back to his shack, already- I hadn't even told him he could go from the depot.

What in the actual fuck?

So I deconstructed the depot, again, and claimed their junk for free, because fuck bugged elves. Honestly. It was then that their packmule literally dropped dead of dehydration, making sure they couldn't pick their goods back up- which in retrospect was oddly timed, but definitely helpful. The elves had fled.

---

Taking the time to pick over the contents, I was kind of beginning to understand why most players didn't like elves to start with- it was all junk, toys and instruments made of wood and generally worthless. Only the seeds were really worth picking up, as I could supplement my farms with them if I figured out how to grow stuff other than the four basics (one of which wasn't even food, it was like- cloth, or something? Add clothing to the list of things I didn't quite understand). The dead packmule went into the refuse stockpile, before it started stinking up the place, and I ordered the depot rebuilt.

I also had that aquifer breached, and built a handy well off the hospital- and that shut Azri up about it, so all good things, except that his mood dropped back into miserable. I really didn't get it- he was living pretty well, and didn't want for food and drink, and hadn't complained about his living quarters. Almost all the bad stuff was gone, except He is not looking forward to the future. And the bookkeeping was no longer improving, either. Finally giving in, I pulled up Dwarf Therapist and tagged another likely-looking dorf as the inheritor of those jobs (Urist 'New Overseer' SmeltedTongue), which sucked because Azri was one of the seven and I kinda wanted him to be the big boss- I'd handpicked his traits, after all.

---

It was a fairly long while after all that when the next big event hit. The skin had healed up on all the dwarves, the sternum was no longer listed as 'gone', my swordsdwarves and crossbowdwarves were improving pretty well and had steel armor (thank you, embark) and I was getting the hang of getting orders when

An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

Wtf, ten elves, seriously? Eat my trap entrance.

They didn't go in immediately- instead they hung around Azri's house (it must have been him that discovered them, as that's where they were when my screen pulled over), but I had the presence of mind to Forbid the door. Apparently elves couldn't open them, which was nice. They stood still out there for about half a minute in realtime (whatever that is in DF, I have no idea), and then started making their way forward. I did actually remember to burrow everyone inside the fort- and no one needed anything outside, so for all intents and purposes the elves were fucked for having to go across a one-block-wide bridge covered in blade traps with a 30-level fall on either side lined with glass spikes and spears. Eventually I'd have the walls lined with ballistae too, but that was a distant dream.

Three went down in a hail of blades- two seemed to explode, and four dodged off the bridge and took the big plummet. Only one survived, though the first trap had gotten him pretty good. I think he was the leader, but he was already routed- my military didn't need to lift a finger. Leaving a trail of blood, the poor dumb bastard actually managed to crawl out of the entrance before falling unconscious, and I unburrowed- my boys already cleaning up the bridge and pit, and fixing the stuck traps.

It was like on cue-

Urist SmeltedTongue has organized a party at ☼Diorite Table!☼

Go figure. But at least they cleaned everything up first before heading to the mess hall, I made sure of that.
Tips, criticism and appreciation (If you like it, lemme know!) should be posted in the thread, or PM'd to me.

Yesd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:07 am »

PTW

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »

---Watchword Chapter 6: Lastinked

So I guess the party turned into a bit of a brawl. And by a 'bit' I mean twelve dwarves died without combat messages. I'm back to thirty-eight, and down four haulers. A bunch more were wounded, and so I took a look at therapist to see if any of my doctoring crew were decimated and it turns out I never made a medical force in the first place. Typical. Thankfully, there was one with 'skilled' in all the requisite fields, so hey, he got the main jobs.

Goden 'Dr. House' Stonedoors, Surgeon. Say hello to your new life amongst my very drunk, buggy dwarves.

Not sure what caused it, everyone seemed to be ecstatic going into the party. The justice list doesn't name anything, and they all buried the bones and cleaned up the blood fine. I'm not sure who all was in it, though I know nineteen went in, and everybody's ecstatic except a swordsdwarf.

Avan Lyescraper has been miserable lately.

She has

And that's where it ends.

---

Dwarf kids. They do jack-all. I hate'em. But when you've barely been getting migrants, you take what you can get. I wasn't really surprised it happened, considering the amount of downtime my dorfs have now, but it came from an unexpected quarter- and in an unexpected amount, too.

Dobar 'wtf coffindwarf' Lastinked has been found!

Dobar 'wtf coffindwarf' Lastinked has given birth to a child!

Dobar 'wtf coffindwarf' Lastinked is stricken by melancholy!

Dobar 'wtf coffindwarf' Lastinked has gone stark raving mad!

So another bug. And this time, a huge one, and the kids were real- it wasn't false announcements, and it wasn't stopping, either, the entire time I was trying to set up my magmaforges. I wasn't having a catsplosion, I was having a kidsplosion (which wasn't nearly as crushing or fast, thankfully), and they wouldn't be useful dorfs for another twelve or so years gametime. Dobar wasn't picking any of them up, she wasn't really moving anywhere and there was a growing tidalwave of infants on the floor. What the fuck to do about it? There wasn't a 'designate daycare' option in the menu, the most I could do was leave them in the catacombs while Dobar stood there churning out more in front of Avan.

If it didn't stop, I'd have to kill a dwarf myself just to quit with the babies. Population was already up to sixty, at this point. Worst came to worst I could leave them in the catacombs to starve after I did.

---

So ignoring the announcement that was now coming every ten minutes or so, I did another look around the fort- the elven captain was nowhere to be seen, now, so I suppose a badger (a few of them hung around) made off with the body. Azri had gone from 'miserable' to merely 'unhappy', Dr. House seemed to be doing good work with the injured (the hospital was actually empty by this point, other than Dobar on the traction bench who had a few injuries, and was dehydrated as well as starving), the forges were doing well and aside from Avan who was still miserable, all my dwarves were contentedly above unhappy- even after all the deaths. So it was then and there that I decided I'd at least try to save the kids in the catacombs.

This meant looking for my seeds and unforbidding them, as I spoke of earlier.

Except they weren't forbidden, my dwarves were just apparently too lazy to farm- or more likely, I hadn't designated a farmer. It turned out the Farmer/Miner I'd brought from my initial embark was still alive and well, but somehow his job had been deselected and ended up as Butcher/Miner instead- while still being called a farmer. I couldn't remember who else was supposed to be farming, if anyone, but whatever- I only really needed one for now, and I didn't really need that.

---

Clothes. I had none. Hadn't made any. I needed to get on that, considering a lot of dwarves were looking kinda... threadbare. Thankfully my new manager was pretty much on the ball with the mandates- rather than have to figure out the system, I can just order junk done now. Hundreds and hundreds of clothes, woven from thread and cloth I've had sitting in my stockpiles since embark, yay!

This understandably freed up some time, to look for other things that needed doing when I turned on Fastdwarf to get my clothier freed up- and with that set, plus the magmaforges finally placed correctly (it was a bugger to navigate the caverns without cutting into them on accident, I wasn't interested in forgotten beasts), I hit the button.

Azri 'Not Overseer' Forgeworks has engraved a masterpiece!

Wait, what?

---

I pulled back in my chair, staring at the screen disbelievingly. That's a fine 9$ word, isn't it? But there it was: I didn't believe it had actually happened. It was too specific, too precise- like someone had architecturally designed the thing with an exactness you only found in these block-mining/building games. One thing was for certain: I didn't do it, nor did I order it. So who did?

"What the fuck?"

Next to the road I'd set up from map edge to trading depot, someone (I presume Azri) had dug a three-level deep hole and put stone blocks into it, then put another block on top of that and engraved it. At this point I was absolutely certain: I never, ever ordered any of my dwarves to do it, as I'm 100% certain I hadn't said to engrave anything yet. This was fucking weird, and somehow made me more uneasy than the kidsplosion (which had died off, somewhat). What kind of bug could do something like that? Not a missing line of code, not a single misplaced keystroke, as things went it was squat, ugly, and kind of sinister.

Engraved on the block is a well-designed image of Armok and demons by Azri Forgeworks. Armok is surrounded by the demons. Armok is holding a lump of slade and a pickaxe. Armok is roaring. The demons are cheering.

Engraved on the block is a well-designed image of Armok, demons and dwarves by Azri Forgeworks. Armok is roaring. The demons are cheering. The dwarves are looking bewildered.

Engraved on the block is a well-designed image of Armok and dwarves by Azri Forgeworks. Armok is roaring. The dwarves are cheering. The dwarves are lifting weapons.

Engraved on the block is a masterfully-designed image of SEE ALL? by Azri Forgeworks.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »

A little something extra.

A strange, old dwarven drinking song- not of the usual cheer to most other songs of this nature, this one is often sung late in the evening when all are deep into their drinks. A few old fortressess traditionally consider it the last song to sing at a get-together, or bad taste to even mention, depending.

Legends speak of homes besieged by dark         (Similar to 'God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen')
These tales all dripping red

Of Watchword we know where the hopes
Came flesh that screamed and bled

Where Armok turned his back on us
And looked on hell instead

O histories of violence and death                (Much debated, one version of this chorus is written)
Violence and death
O histories of violence and death

Our maker tempted us with maps,
with golden silvered shine

But demonflesh is all we found
On dwarven minds they'd dine

And for the four that held back hell
They'd slay the world in time

O histories of anger and fear                     (Another version)
Anger and fear
O histories of anger and fear

Chaos came to our fearless queen
Of maggots sewn in skin

A disease infested mountain home
An enemy within

It ended when they gave their lives
To forget them is a sin

O Histories of sorrow and pride                    (Oddly enough, there is no argument over the third chorus)
Sorrow and pride
O Histories of sorrow and pride

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 04:49:23 pm »

---Watchword Chapter 7: Send In The Clowns

---

Dobar 'wtf coffindwarf' Lastinked has been struck down.

Honestly, considering her insanity, it was only a matter of time anyway before someone did the job. Turns out it was Avan Lyescraper- one of my military dwarves- that did it, but she wasn't throwing a tantrum or anything.

I designated a jail to be built up- there were a fair few (including the six remaining originals, if you didn't count Azri) that were sad about Dobar's death, and I didn't want a tantrum spiral or something equally bad. Evidently Dobar had actually put up a fight against Avan, as the swordsdwarf had her limbs broken- all of them. Hopefully they'd put her in the hospital rather than the jail first (I'd really rather not lose a decent military dwarf to broken limbs), but she's gotta serve her time anyway because things are looking kinda grim on the emotional front.

---

I don't feel well at the moment- so I'm sorry, but updates are more sparing. I'm just not having the fun I should be having with Dwarf Fortress anymore, while I'm under the weather. The game hasn't been making things any better either, with its constant bugs and the fact that most of my dwarves are kids that don't do what I want. I set up the fortress to be engraved, and maybe attract the current queen (or at least a noble), but things are going slowly and introduced another bug that's kinda messing with my perception a bit. Every so often all my smoothed walls flash red, rather than the granite they normally are. It isn't like they changed what material they were made of. And there are a few more weird things, too. My stocks screen tells me I've got no gems, when I could swear I'd hit at least ten kinds (and didn't I sell some to traders at one point?) and my gem stockpile is full of bins and barrels. Azri's weird ...thing... is still there, though the engravings are gone somehow. I actually haven't seen him on the map in some time- he's not even on the units screen. Avir's in jail, chained behind barred doors- they didn't even doctor her up first. At least she's getting plenty of water and food, but for some reason its the Overseer constantly bringing it between his bookkeeping duties. They've kept her there a while, though. Is a life sentence a thing?

I haven't seen migrants or traders in about five seasons now. I guess that system is buggered up too, considering my fort'd been definitely gaining wealth and getting bigger.

I'm two steps from saying screw it, dig for the candy and see how long everyone lasts against the HFS. I've got nineteen battleready dwarves, in theory they have a shot.

---

Feeling better. I took a couple days off, to rest and recuperate- mostly sleeping. Pneumonia is a helluva thing. I've come to a decision- if Watchword survives the Clown Car, I'm not trashing it and starting over- I'm keeping the thing till it crumbles. There's even a vein not surrounded by a magma tube, in the southwest corner of the map- not too far from my magma forges, though the thing rises well above that. Setting designation (not to mine it yet, I'm not an idiot) to reach it, the plan is to have a decent sized room with fortifications around it for my ten crossbowdwarves to shoot through- then for the remaining nine to cut down any that fly through the slits. Before I've tried ballistae (failed because dwarves flee), traps (apparently they have trapavoid), bridge atom smashers (broke the bridge), pitfalls (they fly. Go figure) and the list goes on. With fastdwarf the room is cleared in heartbeats, the fortifications are carved and everyone's in place. I actually get a decent look at the vein (revealing it, of course) when I uncover it, with the accompanying announcement.

What I didn't expect was to see a line of slade, just above the magma sea, that came off the edge of the map and went right into the vein. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it- but given the other stupid crap that had been plaguing me this entire game, it was pretty much par for the course. Screw it.

I dug in.

I pulled back my miner, put in my warriors, and waited.

Twenty seconds.

Forty seconds.

A minute.

Nothing.

I dug more.

Deeper.

Faster.

I designated stairs, going down- set up grates and floor hatches to slow down what I knew would come at the least convenient time.

I told my military to explore the shaft, and find out what was at the bottom.

It opened up into a fortress- I'd seen them before, on occasion. Always with a weapon in a pedestal, surrounded by the undead. It sprawled the same, and I was always pretty pissed to find it. Building a suitable defense on the floor of the circus was never easy.

But there was no sword in the center. Just an old copper pick.

Avir Lyescraper has given birth to a child!
Avir Lyscraper is stricken by melancholy!
Avir Lyescraper has given birth to a child!

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »

PTW. This is great.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »

PTW. I'm diggin' this too.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:11 pm »

Its always nice to see that people are reading. ^_^ Be forewarned that this first arc of Watchword is swiftly drawing to a close, to give way to a different... viewpoint. You've probably all noticed by now that your faithful gamer is not exactly reliable in terms of information- and that the dwarves all have different stories of their own to tell.

So while 'Watchword' is drawing to a close, the story is by no means over, and will be continuing in this thread.

In fact, I've half a mind to make it a sort of competition- partially to see how many people are reading, or interested, partly so that I don't have to make the tough decision.

Who's viewpoint shall be told after Watchword? ...And be forewarned they're not gonna be happy stories. Few DF stories really have happy endings.

Each viewpoint has its own secrets to reveal, though you will likely see the same scenes as told from different perspectives- and some viewpoints are hidden until more is known. 'long, medium, short' in this instance is a general ballpark idea of how long each viewpoint will be- and for general reference, I consider the original Watchword story long, bordering on medium for me.

Will it be (Unknown adventurer)? (Mystery, horror, Medium-length)
Will it be (The leader of an unknown reclamation party)? (Slasher flick! Medium-length)
Will it be Avir Lyescraper? (Medium, body horror, general horror, the supernatural)
Will it be -LOCKED, PLEASE ENTER PASSWORD- (Long)
Will it be (Unknown deity)? (Short, backstory)
Will it be Urist Smeltedtongue? (Short, madness, horror)
Will it be Dobar Lastinked? (Long, body horror, general horror, the supernatural, tragedy)

Yesd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:19 am »

Avir or Dobar would be nice
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:48:19 pm by Yesd »

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

PTW
Nasu bites the Toad in the left upper arm but the attack is deflected by the ☼pig tail fiber RAWS☼!

Elpis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 01:07:10 pm »

PTW! I am loving this!

Also, Ack! I am having trouble choosing which story I want to vote for!

Yesd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »

Azri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 03:18:35 am »

Just a little update- the holidays have got me in lockdown for a short while, but the finale of the player's story will be coming soon.
Pages: 1 [2]