Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: zombies now insanely hard?  (Read 8401 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: zombies now insanely hard?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 06:32:47 pm »

I think that may be something to do with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE about sensing life forms through walls

I tried assaulting a tower in 40.xx once, my body blocked the door and was not reanimated for some reason

In 34.xx it was like
You scratch the human corpse in the chest, bearing the muscle
Human corpse has collapsed
OR
The spinning diorite rock strikes the elephant corpse in the head, tearing the skin
The diorite rock has lodged firmly in the wound
The elephant corpse has collapsed
OR
The elf corpse corpse corpse corpse corpse corpse kicks you in the head, jamming the skull through the brain and bruising the brain
The necromancer gestures
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »

They've definitely got some extra senses. I have a ruined fortress that's been taken over by necromancers, and it's one of those fortresses whose wagon entrance opens right onto the wall. So, two campfires are enough to keep the zombies from running loose. When I move around the fortress walls, I can hear them moving next to the wall I'm standing near. Framerate also slows, which suggests pathing that isn't ground-based.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 12:57:38 am »

I just died as a v34.11 necromancer werewolf (playing as my hive civ queen plus MWDF) trying to swim across an ocean. I had hundreds of kills, and my minions (collectively) killed 40 notable beings, as well as 5999 other kills. one more frost giant and I would be happy

in 40.xx i can't even get close to towers without being annhilated

Just had an idea. Can undead climb? I'm thinking if someone was to climb a tower from the OUTSIDE and proceed to drop rocks/cats/whatever on the undead then it could be possible to (theoretically) eliminate the first wave "safely"

Even if they can climb i'm pretty sure a rock thrown at them is going to knock an undead off balance at least, and if something is off balance on top of a 10+ z level structure...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:01:40 am by Insanegame27 »
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:57:44 am »

I successfully cleared a necro tower as an axedwarf with a bismuth bronze great axe. It took a tonne of savescumming and a good hour or so but I quickly got the hang of how to fight them:

-Lure them out one a time by moving tile by tile towards the tower and then waiting by spamming the full stop key. They can sense you from far away but often take some time to reach you. I always approached the tower from the back, which might have helped.
-Two at a time is difficult, three very difficult but still possible with a lot of dodging. Any more than that and you may as well savescum and hope for a better pull.
-Quick strikes. Always. Getting any hit in is more important than getting a good one in because of pulping, and every time I tried a regular strike they always had an attack imminent.
-Go for extremities if the necromancer is out of range, otherwise keep hitting their upper/lower body until it pulps. Sometimes taking their head off as the first strike killed them instantly but most of the time it didn't. Not sure how that works.
-If they're attacking, no matter how far away the strike is, always dodge. Don't even bother gambling on getting a strike in before they do.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:01:17 am by elcr »

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:48 am »

Fight them in the same manner as Night Trolls. Try to battle one at a time and if they attack, dodge or block (the latter is more useful) their attack. Immediately follow up with a quick attack, and repeat the process.
If you end up fighting a group, treat them as very powerful bogeymen. Continually move away while doing your best to keep them in single file. Use a multiattack/dodge when they get near.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 07:38:00 am »

I do think Undeads are a bit unreasonable atm. I yesterday tried my new world in Adventure mode, professional sword fighter, armor user and dodger accompanied by 2 professional dwarfs and encountered a undead weasel. The weasel was so fast that I was barely able to scratch his skin (which does no damage to undead), and trying to separate body parts only resulted in those body parts attacking me as well ("Raven head attacks you" how does this thing even move?!).

After 30 minutes of trying to get that weasel down I had about every bone in his body broken, the skin was gone and several body parts were separated, yet it still was happily biting me. My comrades had already died and my adventured became tired from the endless fighting, so the only option was to escape. But since that weasel was as well running at 3.0 speed, I had to get it to dodge into a pond before I could actually run away.

So this was just a weasel. I don't want to know what happens if I meet real enemies. Oo

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:27 am »

I have no particular issue with them, save this:

-They are too fast
-I wish they would rot, albeit slower.
-I would like them to 'randomly' use an attack with a weapon while mostly flailing about with them.

You can sneak up to and by them, especially through walls.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:45:46 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:07 am »

How do you sneak up to and by an undead ?
Each time i encountered an undead while being in stealth, even with a good Ambusher skill, the thing was able to see me beyond its supposed line of sight (that is 360 degree by the way) and rush to me.

I wonder if regular undeads do not have accidentally the "blood" detectors only vampires are supposed to have.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

How do you sneak up to and by an undead ?
Each time i encountered an undead while being in stealth, even with a good Ambusher skill, the thing was able to see me beyond its supposed line of sight (that is 360 degree by the way) and rush to me.

I wonder if regular undeads do not have accidentally the "blood" detectors only vampires are supposed to have.

Once out their towers I was able to quite easily.  Especially at night or in a fog.  They just have the eyes of an eagle.  Ill post an example if I happen to stumble into one.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:12 am »

Ah you meant those necromancer towers, i never go there due to nasty undead experiences already on world map encounters, i'll have to try to see if those undead are similar to the world map encounters ones that seem to be able to see everything like a vampire

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:27 am »

I was wondering which weapon provided the most "knockback" effect, because if i climb to the top of the tower, then if they can climb, I'll knock em off the roof, if they can't, I'll drop rocks on em

I could wrestle throw them but that is somewhat random in the current release...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:11 am »

Probably a maul, but they don't seem to climb.  I've been able to hide on top the tower without pursuit.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 11:04:06 am »

I am yet to get ontop of a tower yet

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:06:15 am »

I've seen them climb (or rather hang+climb in a sort of brachiating way) trees to get accross a river, so they do climb.

Another thing you could do is jump at them (make sure not to jump off), they'll jump out of your way and likely jump off the edge.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 11:16:54 am »

Fight them in the same manner as Night Trolls. Try to battle one at a time and if they attack, dodge or block (the latter is more useful) their attack. Immediately follow up with a quick attack, and repeat the process.
If you end up fighting a group, treat them as very powerful bogeymen. Continually move away while doing your best to keep them in single file. Use a multiattack/dodge when they get near.

this post makes me wonder if I should change up my playstyle and learn to play DF as a platinum game.
quick attack combos with parries leading to dodge offsets. then again I wonder if it's possible to dodge your way through a mob of enemies, never move just wait for someone to get near you and dodge in the direction you want to go.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4