Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 68866 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 03:14:47 pm »

If we're going for a pool of nations, we may want to ban nations first (the OP ones, for example). But then, it may be a bit too much for "just a game".

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »

Ugh... I'm out. So stuff came up, so I won't be able to play any time soon.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »

NationGen has a pretty high tolerance for nation generation. It's Dom4 that doesn't like huge mods. My standard mod size is 30, which last I checked was probably close to the upper limit of mod sizes - though I'll admit I haven't tested lately so it's possible Dom4 might be more resilient now. But if you're just generating a mod to look at via the inspector and files, there's no reason you can't generate a size-100 mod.

Also, Delta, there's no reason we can't trust you to just be fair, is there? Having the admin do the sequencing worked with the draft I ran for 404.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:29:31 pm by E. Albright »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 06:12:46 pm »

Right-o. I'll probably get stuff done by tomorrow evening. Unless someone beats me to it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:01 pm »

Here is a proposal to limit overpowered nations: DEMOCRACY!

Each player puts their nations on display, including the key so that other players can generate the nation themselves and make sure everything matches up stat-wise.

Then everyone just votes which nation is the most overpowered.

First place "wins" three staled turns at the beginning of the game.
Second place "wins" two staled turns at the beginning of the game.
Third place "wins" a single staled turn at the beginning of the game.

Time heals all...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 06:47:17 pm »

Yeah... something like that only works if there's a decent spread of power levels, but will fail if, for example, all nations are at basically the same level, or 4 nations are clustered together at the high end of the spectrum.

Plus it encourages meta-level politicking. For example, I know E. Alright is a strong player, and I also crave revenge against him, so I'd be inclined to vote for him regardless of what nation he chooses. :P
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:37 pm »

Right-o. I'll probably get stuff done by tomorrow evening. Unless someone beats me to it.

If you want, I can generate a 100-nation mod and upload it - in fact, I can just upload the seed - in really realz fact, if you want to use it: Castle of the Sun, seed 1731078640 (standard settings, 100 nations) - so we can start picking through it.

We could also have 2-3 rounds of drafting where we all pick our preferred 2-3 nations, and then 1 round of culling where we all get to axe 1 nation each. I'd say 2 rounds of drafting, then the third round everyone eliminates 1 of each other player's nation picks. With 100 nations, there should be enough for all of us to get 2 nations that we'd be willing to play, provided we don't all want hoburg beserker blood cults.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 09:33:45 pm »

Aww... but my hoburg berserker blood cults!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 05:46:44 am »

Top-to-bottom, here's our drafting order:
6. Karlito
5. Shadowgandor
8. Boksi
7. Culise
3. USEC_OFFICER
9. Bluerobin
1. Delta Foxtrot
2. tompliss
4. E. Albright
The list loops back to Karlito once E. Albright has done his pick.
It goes round three times: draft-draft-cull.
After the picks E. Albright bans one of Karlito's nations, Karlito bans one of Shadowgandor's etc..

That's most of it, then?
I'm still not sure which way I lean with regards to score graphs, and whether we want to go for 6/10 thrones or 11/20. I'd probably prefer 6/10, but either's fine. Map is Peliwyr unless good alternatives are shown. Note that Peliwyr has been updated since 402 so a few of you may need to redownload it.
I updated the OP with most of this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 06:54:23 am »

Every nation will have access to national recruit-anywhere scouts, spies, or assassins, so there's that in favor of graphs off. It still punishes the players who don't want to use them, but it also rewards those who do, and those who select nations with spies (and use them).

I'll vote in favor of 11/20 or at a minimum, 8/15. 6/10 is too susceptible to blitzing.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:22 am »

I'd go 8/15, or maybe 9/15. It's a bit annoying when the throne density is really high.

You guys think 48h is enough go over the generated nations? Probably the way things go it'll take twice as long as that, but we can try to set deadlines.

EDIT: Just so everyone can confirm they've generated the same set the first nation output by the seed is:
Nation 100: Porwald
-----------------------------------
Race: Humans.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Archers. Sacred light ranger.
Magic: Water, Nature and Blood.
Priests: Strong.
Yes?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:09:03 am by Karlito »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17:22 am »

Hum guys...
How do you get past the "too many sprites in mod" error, with the 100 nations generated ?
"Simple" cut and past in multiple mods instead of one ?
Better solutions ?

[EDIT] Well, apparently 20 nations is enough not to make dominions crash. It will be enough for he first tests :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:11:18 pm by tompliss »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 11:34:06 am »

I would look in the dm file for the individual nation seeds, pick out a couple you want to test-play, and then paste them into the appropriate field in nation-gen's advanced options tab. Set the generator to output that number of nations, and voila.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »

You don't seem to understand : I want to test almost all of them !

- Porwald, for their universal darkvision, jaguar-morphing mages, H3 inquisitors, and sacred snipers with 13 prec 13 damage with every weapon bless possible. Did I tell you their archers become vine Men when wounded ?
 - Cirikos, for their easy income with Heat2, cheap reanimators, their high prot lizards, their chariots of the dead (sacred not seen in the inspector), and their forge2 mages with 4.1 paths, who aren't StR nor Cap-only, and a total theorical access to all 8 paths.
 - Burton and its fire-shielded 16prot recruit-anywhere sacred infantry, with their nice commander with an average of 15 in HP, prot, atk, def; and their fireball-masters recruit-anywhere mages.

And that only 3 of the 4 first ones :)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »

Well use the above then, but do like 30 seeds at a time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45