Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 45

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! All's well that ends well, GG everyone  (Read 68843 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round Ten: Nationgen! Game on
« Reply #345 on: November 09, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »

Thanks for playing, Bluerobin. For all my talk of provocation, the engine guaranteed we'd be fighting sooner rather than later when it plunked us down with one province between our capitals. I'm not sure any amount of diplomacy would have been able to get around that, especially since we were both pretty strong dom-wise.

One bit of advice going forward. It's old advice, but always good advice: at least one point of PD, always and everywhere. I capped 4 or 5 of your provinces with scouts on serial turns, and if I had been even just slightly more conservative with maintaining my sieging force on the last turn of last week, it would have meant ~2500g of troops would have died via retreating.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:16:45 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »

Llamaserver claims to be down 'til tomorrow night. FYI.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »

I also postponed 24h just in case.
Our game didn't disappear like most others (maybe because we started ours pre-4.14?), but I still haven't received confirmation for sending my turn.
I don't know if postponing is any help, but I guess that's all I can do until llama lets us know more.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 12, 2014, 05:53:11 pm »

Quote from: llamabeast
Hi all, llamabeast here. I believe the LlamaServer should now be back up and running. It will take a while (maybe 12 hours even!) to process the backlog of games that need hosting. I've postponed all the turn timers to allow people to get back on track. Any admin actions during the last 24 hours may have been lost - admins, please check!
I'm very sorry to everyone for this disruption. Amazing that new ways of going wrong can turn up after so long!

Sounds like we're back on track, more or less.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »

Nations of the world, the proud nation of Dousheim united has undertaken the provocations of Illen for long enough.  Their scouts cross our borders, unwilling to permit the sanctity of the river between our nations.  Insults are levied against our nation, false charges of aggression here in this very place.  Innocent nations are crushed beneath their heels; first Midmatia, and now Lissasa stands threatened by them.  Finally, the Thrones themselves are subsumed, one by one, into their rapacious maw.  The thrones of Law and Stability are already theirs, as is a third of form yet to be sung that stands surrounded and sealed by their command.  The High Throne stands at risk, and from there, an ideal platform to seize the Thrones of Bones, of Brass, of Stars, of two not yet sung in tales, and last but certainly not least, that one which they know so well, the Throne of War.  Their priests stand ready to make the rites and seize the foundations of this world, as they could do in a single bold gesture.  This is a threat not only to Dousheim, nor only to Lissasa, nor to any single nation alone.  This is a threat that faces our entire world, and all that bear the spark of divinity, those measures of the one true song of the spheres. 

This is an act we enter into with heavy hearts, but our minds are set and our voices as one.  Earendel of the Morning Star, the Grey One hereby names Gault as a false pretender and issues formal challenge to the self-styled Lord of Men's Fates.  Our men shall meet them on the field of battle, and we shall vanquish them. 

EDIT:
Do a fancy work in IC speech, make a typo right in the middle. <_<
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:01:30 pm by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:03 am »

Peoples of Pelliwyr, I invite you to freely weigh the value of the words of Illen against the lies and half-truths spouted by the slavemasters of Doushiem.

Spoiler: Rantz and hyperbole (click to show/hide)

[tldr: Sending 2-3 scouts into your neighbor's territory over a handful of turns: gross provocation. The two hundred troops that were parked on the border who caught them: totally not at all provocative. Holding two thrones and being adjacent to two more: threat to world peace. Holding two thrones, being adjacent to two more, and invading your neighbor who holds two thrones: beleaguered savior of humanity.]

[edit: fixed obvious typos, unreasonable conciseness]
[edit2: remembered there's a spoiler tag]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:53:32 pm by E. Albright »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2014, 04:31:22 am »

You really like to type on your keyboard, don't you?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:36:12 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

I blame Culise for this. I tend to get into the RP aspect more than I should, and when someone suggests that I try to channel a long-winded gasbag who's overfond of the sound of their voice like Rand, you're going to see the worst in me ooze out.

(And let's be honest, I'm not exactly terse and concise under normal circumstances.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:41:48 am by E. Albright »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2014, 02:00:49 pm »

1½h to go, three players unaccounted for. I postponed by 24h.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15:52 pm »

Aye, sorry for waiting to the last minute this time; that was a combination of diplomatic delay and a lack of enthusiasm for digging into my "inspirational material" to dredge up commander names.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »

Oh yeah, I pretty much forgot to send my turn in. Thought I had done it already, but I guess I didn't.

...This is a bit troublesome. I don't think I'll be able to get it in tonight since I don't have access to my laptop right now. Well, I'll hopefully manage to do it tomorrow.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »

[tldr: Sending 2-3 scouts into your neighbor's territory over a handful of turns: gross provocation. The two hundred troops that were parked on the border who caught them: totally not at all provocative. Holding two thrones and being adjacent to two more: threat to world peace. Holding two thrones, being adjacent to two more, and invading your neighbor who holds two thrones: beleaguered savior of humanity.]

Exactly! Glad to see it summed up so eloquently.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2014, 04:34:06 pm »

Exactly! Glad to see it summed up so eloquently.
Yep, indeed.  I actually loved Albright's full response, too; very "in the spirit" of things. :D

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »

The demand for peace is a demand for the free development of Illen at a pace not easily matched by anyone in this world. Having successfully annexed a neighbour, he then demands that we cease our aggressions. Why, of course! The people of Lissasa are content with their island. Cease all advances into our domain, peoples of the world, and Lissasa will leave you in perfect serenity. You will despair for our ministrations soon enough!
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

On a semi-unrelated off-topic-ish note, another reason I was delayed in getting my turn in:

Eh, heh, heh...

Spoiler: Query/RFC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:03:44 pm by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 45